in search of an untiwinked hc build

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
in search of an untiwinked hc build

hey all. I am looking for a viable char build, that can be made in hc, untwinked.

I dont wanna play a fishymancer or AE's fire//summon guide. Also dont wanna play a boring cookie cutter.

Looking for someone fun :)

Got any ideas?

Thx

Fred

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
BoneMancer (Paladin)
I love it.

There's a reason cookie-cutter builds are cookie cutter. They're easy! I think Berserker is a pretty powerful build that's not 100% standard or boring. Compared to WW (listed as "medium" there), only the Occulus is something dangerous to use in HC :lol: . (maybe not, but I thought it was funny)

NSXdreamer

Diabloii.Net Member
necrolemming said:
Didn't you end up running Meph a crapload tho?
Yeah, but it was worth it as I got a lightsabre and the runes (well that and HF) to upgrade headstriker, still a pain in the ass though.

Perium

Diabloii.Net Member
My current build, a polearm whirlwind/zerk barbarian, is doing very well. Playing without stuff to start off with (that is what twinkled means right?) makes things a bit more difficult, but hardly impossible. Same play strats come into play, you just have to level up differently.

For example, on my barbarian, I had to pump strength and dex quite a bit so I could use effective weapons early in the game, whereas if I was playing on the Bnet, I would have left dex at base and strength low, using items to boost those, and getting lots of vit for a huge amount of life.

So I lost out on some life, but not enough to make play impossible. Once I got to the end of nightmare and could run the bosses fairly easily, I was able to get a bunch of good + to vit and life items, and since I didn't need items to boost my str/dex, I was able to load up to almost the amount of life I would have if I had played on Bnet. I've always been a big in the belife that damage is king anyhow, even in hardcore, so I tend to like my life at a "safe" amount, and then just pump strenght for damage anyhow.

I play classic though, I know on LOD the focus is very much on uniques, and not rares, and so it's harder to customize your guy so that you can get gear that boosts the stats you want, but using your socket quests well you should still be able to get the stats you miss out on by having to build your guy "for the moment" so to speak.

Plus, with synergies, you can put points into skills that become obsolete, and still get bonuses for later more usefull kilss.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Make an Avenger :)

That's what I'm making, in SC, aiming for lvl > 95 :evil:. Some reasons I figured why try make an Avenger:

You get 90 all res with Guardian Angel, and fire/cold/light at 95, with 10 points in all the three resist-synergys for Vengeance.

75 block extremely easily, with HoZ, Guardian Angel and Holy Shield -> little dex needed, and loads of vitality.

Easily deals with almost any monsters, I suppose, with tri-element attack.

This char will be LOVED in MP games due to Conviction, helps Hell Baal runs, and doesn't die much -> loads of exp.

You don't get the feeling that "Damn, now I've maxed everything useful for this build, and have 10+ skills left over", since there are 6 skills to pump. (Three resist-skills for synergys to Vengeance, Vengeance its self, Holy Shield and Conviction.)

Porius

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, Sanctuary also helps with Vengence, so you have even more to put in, if you want to.

Porius

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Porius said:
Actually, Sanctuary also helps with Vengence, so you have even more to put in, if you want to.

Porius
I suppose you mean Salvation? Yes, that is one option, if you really don't want to put points in either the resist skills or vengeance, for some weird reason :rolleyes:

Salvation gives 2% of damage to each three elements, so that adds up to 6% damage per level. Resist skills give each 10% more damage to their corresponding damage class, and Vengeance gives 6% damage to each element, which adds up to 18%, at the cost of mana-cost raising.

So, bottom line, Salvation is not a good synergy for Vengeance, and you'll be hard pushed any way with points, since you need to max Convicition, and I at least love to put lots of points in Holy Shield with my Pallys for the extra defence.

Porius

Diabloii.Net Member
:bonk:

Duh, yep I mean Salvation.

And you're right. It isn't as good, but it is there. If you wanted to do a two-handed Avenger, you might actually run out of places to put your points, what with the diminishing returns on Conviction. It would definately be the last one I'd invest in...

Porius

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldn't play avenger in untwinked HC though. I doubt I would keep the poor guy alive for long :innocent:.

edit: And if I did, I would skip Resist Fire. Too many FI around in hell imo.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
If I made an HC Avenger, I'd go really slow, and run the first boss that can drop GA, so long that it does that.

Besides, if I made it untwinked, it would mean I wouldn't necassarily have any or at least very much mana leech, so I'd have Vengeance at level 1, and only pump the synergys.. and I'd definitely put at least 10 points in Resist Fire. Getting less fire damage done to you is always fun. Can't count on finding that Dwarfstar..

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
krzyhobo said:
Nightfish wrote an excellent guide for an untwinked Dragon Tail/Death Sentry assassin hybrid which I've found to be challenging, but extraordinarily fun to play.
i have made this assasin. I made it twinked and it was medium going in hell, untwinked i dont think it would fare so well, and i know id end up getting frustrated. I died in act2 hell tho to FE bug :(

Fred