In praise of Civerb's Cudgel

lpblasch

Diabloii.Net Member
In praise of Civerb's Cudgel

Current project to make my first Guardian is a Tesladin, now lvl 41 and making Baal runs to level for nightmare. I'm using the Wurmer guide, which has all sorts of variants to choose from.

Since I'm a relative rookie to HC I'm item poor, but I have to tell you that Civerbs is amazing. How can you not like a weapon that keeps getting better as you level? I admit I would use something better if I had it, but this experience so far has made me a believer.
My stats:
Lvl 41
Str 85
Dex 61
Vit 94
Eng base

Zeal Damage: 27-962
Holy Shock dam: 1-126

Civerb damage: 8-80

I'm accompanied (sometimes) by Act 2 Blessed Aim merc Emilio.
The guy is an asset when he fights, but many times he wanders around a corner and forgets to participate. I just now had a stern talk with him...

Anyway, the weapon has served me very well to this point and I highly recommend it to item poor players who build a melee character. I realize that normal is pretty easy, and nightmare will be more of a challenge, but until I find or trade for something better, this item is impressive.

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
I made a frenzied barbarian who wielded two of these beauties. It lasted me into Act 1 nightmare. I also had the amulet, and got a nice little bonus out of that too...

</nostalgia>

VCrow

Diabloii.Net Member
Current project to make my first Guardian is a Tesladin, now lvl 41 and making Baal runs to level for nightmare. I'm using the Wurmer guide, which has all sorts of variants to choose from.

Since I'm a relative rookie to HC I'm item poor, but I have to tell you that Civerbs is amazing. How can you not like a weapon that keeps getting better as you level? I admit I would use something better if I had it, but this experience so far has made me a believer.
My stats:
Lvl 41
Str 85
Dex 61
Vit 94
Eng base

Zeal Damage: 27-962
Holy Shock dam: 1-126

Civerb damage: 8-80

I'm accompanied (sometimes) by Act 2 Blessed Aim merc Emilio.
The guy is an asset when he fights, but many times he wanders around a corner and forgets to participate. I just now had a stern talk with him...

Anyway, the weapon has served me very well to this point and I highly recommend it to item poor players who build a melee character. I realize that normal is pretty easy, and nightmare will be more of a challenge, but until I find or trade for something better, this item is impressive.
Civerb's Cudgel was the uber item for sorcerers in the original Diablo for killing stone cursed succubi and advocates, if I recall correctly it had triple damage to demons, and it calculated last so it was triple your actual damage, not base.

Are you accepting twinked items for your character? I've been running NM Andariel today and I wound up with a lot of unique normals and some exceptionals, too. What would be good for you? Stuff with crushing blow?

Why did you decide to make a tesladin instead of a frostzealot for hardcore? A tesladin looks like he's at much higher of a risk than a frostzealot for not much more gain in offensive power, in my opinion, but I haven't played a tesladin in hell.

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, Civerbs is very nice although I feel it is a bit slow with zeal. When twinking a zealot, I like to use a fast weapon and usually twink the Generals Tan Do Li Ga onto him at lvl 21. (Very easy weapon to find). Coupled with sigons gloves, boots and belt the speed is just insane. A high rate of leech makes normal very easy and I usually level up to 45 in normal with this.

Of course, the damage of Civerbs win out in higher levels, but I feel that the speed more than makes up for it. I like the damage of a Tesladin as well, and hope you gaurdian him without problems.

GL

IC

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Why did you decide to make a tesladin instead of a frostzealot for hardcore? A tesladin looks like he's at much higher of a risk than a frostzealot for not much more gain in offensive power, in my opinion, but I haven't played a tesladin in hell.
Tesladins definately do way more damage in hell than freazealots, but are at a much much higher risk. I had a freazealot that I patted, but my main source of damage was CB and a very fast attack. Zeal or the synergy to holy freeze arent even worth maxing for this build because you don't get a whole lot of return for a ton of skill points. Holy freeze when maxed coupled with cold charms practically stops all enemys from even moving.
I had an untwinked tesladin in NM and I killed everything in one hit, however, I didn't put enough points into holy shield and the likes and met an untimely death. I imagine the damage would continue to rise throughout hell.

lpblasch

Diabloii.Net Member
Civerb's Cudgel was the uber item for sorcerers in the original Diablo for killing stone cursed succubi and advocates, if I recall correctly it had triple damage to demons, and it calculated last so it was triple your actual damage, not base.

Are you accepting twinked items for your character? I've been running NM Andariel today and I wound up with a lot of unique normals and some exceptionals, too. What would be good for you? Stuff with crushing blow?

I made the Tesladin because 1) I've never tried one, and Shagsbeard said he played 2 to Guardian, and 2) my other attempts all ended in "Deeds". So far it's lots of fun. I'm certain that, like all characters in LoD, Hell will be a whole nother story, but it's good to try new things.

Yes, I'd like to talk to you about items. I'll try to send a pm.

VCrow

Diabloii.Net Member
I made the Tesladin because 1) I've never tried one, and Shagsbeard said he played 2 to Guardian, and 2) my other attempts all ended in "Deeds". So far it's lots of fun. I'm certain that, like all characters in LoD, Hell will be a whole nother story, but it's good to try new things.

Yes, I'd like to talk to you about items. I'll try to send a pm.
Stash sent, good luck!

cade88

Diabloii.Net Member
good luck with the gaurdian i'm still trying to get my first one been working on it all semester. And i've lost my share of characters (I gave up on sorcs just to hard) i've got two paladins going right now fanta zealot and a hammerdin. Those are my contengency plans if my summoner necro fails good luck

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Good luck, a Tesladin is a good choice to go for a Guardian with, with Holy Freeze as a back-up you should be quite formidable.

Again, if you need any items/advice drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do. :smiley:

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
How can you not like a weapon that keeps getting better as you level?
Civerb's scaling damage is great- my first D2 character was a mace concentrate barb who used the Civerb mace for a very long time. I kept finding other weapons, trying them, and then would always go back to Civerbs. I also made a bunch of Civerb's characters using the full set on the realms a while back- my Civerbazon did pretty well and certainly confused a lot of people.

An even better cheap scaling damage weapon I think is the Cleg's sword with one other item. Full Clegs is a great set for a melee paladin- the shield is pretty bad blocking-wise but other than that you have good speed, crushing blow and big damage with very low requirements. Low range and knockback are not much problem in my experience. I've had great success with full Cleg's zealots- Frostalots, Tesladins and Fanatic Zealots, although mostly in Classic. For a D2C fanatic zealot, my choice of gear is: full Clegs + Death's sash + Goblin Toe + Twitchthroe + life leech rings with some resists + helm with FHR and resists + ammy with resists, +pal skill and possibly leech.

lpblasch

Diabloii.Net Member
I've had great success with full Cleg's zealots- Frostalots, Tesladins and Fanatic Zealots, although mostly in Classic. For a D2C fanatic zealot, my choice of gear is: full Clegs + Death's sash + Goblin Toe + Twitchthroe + life leech rings with some resists + helm with FHR and resists + ammy with resists, +pal skill and possibly leech.
Now, THAT"S what I call affordable gear! Thanks for the ideas.