In news that actually matters...

axeil

Diabloii.Net Member
1 million out of a population of ~250 million.

It's a whopping .4%. Someone call the media! Less than one hundredth of our nation has AIDS. Oh noes!!111111eleven

In all seriousness, that's a shame to see but I can't really feel as sorry for Americans with AIDS as I can for sub saharan Africans. For them there really is no hope.

Jedi44

Diabloii.Net Member
axeil said:
1 million out of a population of ~250 million.

It's a whopping 4%. Someone call the media! Less than one twentyfifth of our nation has AIDS.
If by 4% you mean 0.4%, you're right.

axeil

Diabloii.Net Member
Jedi44 said:
If by 4% you mean 0.4%, you're right.

Damn mathematics and their infernally hidden decimal points!

EDIT: Changed division to actually be correct.

axeil

Diabloii.Net Member
Steve_Kow said:
I thought there were roughly 300 million Americans. Unless Axeil and Jedi aren't counting minorities. Racist scum. :mad:

I had always heard about 250 as the number. But then all my history books are really odd and had outdated data (Russia was still the USSR in some books), so it's probably out of date. If it's 300 million then its about .33333~ percent. So it's less than half a percent of our population.

KillJoyBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Well saying 0.3 or 0.4 percent is kind of dressing it down. I think a Million people with HIV is very significant. It's very unfortunate, since the disease is 100% preventable. In terms of the resources needed to treat them, the numbers must be even more staggering.

Keldaris

Diabloii.Net Member
hmmm, 1 000 000 people? that is the equivalent of roughly 4% of my country(CANADA). still a rather insignificant number.

Jedi44

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry if it appeared as if I was making light of the situation, that was not my intent. I was just correcting some fuzzy math.

While 1,000,000 people is a lot... as previously stated, it's only .3% of the population, roughly. I lean more towards the "I feel much worse for third world citizens who have vastly inferior knowledge of/effective means of combating AIDS than American citizens who have very easily attainable means of preventing it."

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
SirKnightmare said:
"I DONT LIKE SK SO IM GOING TO TURN AIDS INTO A JOKE ROFL!!!"

You people are absolutely amazing.
How exactly is pointing out that this is a mere fraction "turning AIDS into a joke"? And if you're referring to me, I was referring to the thread title. Thanks, but I think we're all intelligent enough to decide for ourselves what matters.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
I hate plagues ... too many good people have fallen to this dreaded virus.

RIP Arthur Ashe :(

SirKnightmare

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
How exactly is pointing out that this is a mere fraction "turning AIDS into a joke"? And if you're referring to me, I was referring to the thread title. Thanks, but I think we're all intelligent enough to decide for ourselves what matters.
I was pretty much referring to most of you. If you or someone you loved had AIDS it would be a hell of a lot more than a fraction. Turning the lives a million people plus the ones who have to watch them go through it into a fraction and laughing about it, yeh that's turning it into a joke.

You, in particular, can take your sarcasm somewhere else. If you really think the Michael Jackson Verdict deserves top billing over the AIDS story then I'm not sure you do know what is important. If this is you, than response to your "Thanks", no problem you need it.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Who was laughing? They were correctly pointing out that while one million is a large number, relatively speaking it isn't.

And I never said that the Jackson trial should take top billing. I could care less about the man. But I don't need you to tell me that. It was your arrogance, in the thread title, that irritated me. Acting as if you're so much smarter than everyone else, that we need you to tell us what is important.

To be blunt, the others are right. A million is a mere fraction of the overall population, and so this is not a gigantic tragedy in the big picture. Sure, a million is a big scary number, but when you're talking about 250 (300?) million, it ain't so bad.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey, so long as we join this 0.3% infection rate with education schemes that ignore condoms, the nation can go nowhere but up!

festers50

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
I hate plagues ... too many good people have fallen to this dreaded virus.

RIP Arthur Ashe :(
HIV / AIDS is very scarey STDS are not the same as when I was young, back in the days of Hippies and "Free Love" ... sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous :thumbsup:

SirKnightmare

Diabloii.Net Member
Steel_Avatar said:
To be blunt, the others are right. A million is a mere fraction of the overall population, and so this is not a gigantic tragedy in the big picture. Sure, a million is a big scary number, but when you're talking about 250 (300?) million, it ain't so bad.
That's great how you can plug a million lives into a percent and blow it off. Yeh, 1 million people dying "ain't so bad", glad the "not my problem not a problem" mentality is working for you. I don't understand people like you, so I won't try and make you understand.

Steel_Avatar said:
It was your arrogance, in the thread title, that irritated me. Acting as if you're so much smarter than everyone else, that we need you to tell us what is important.
I have no clue how I am acting smarter than anyone else, I was lashing out at the news networks when I said that, not anyone in this forum.

Steel, I have come to the conclusion that pretty much everything I say "irritates" you. I would think that you would have grown to ignore my comments by now. Trust me, I wasn't thinking of you when I made the thread, I never think of you.