Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In news that actually matters...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SirKnightmare, Jun 14, 2005.

1. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

2. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

1 million out of a population of ~250 million.

It's a whopping .4%. Someone call the media! Less than one hundredth of our nation has AIDS. Oh noes!!111111eleven

In all seriousness, that's a shame to see but I can't really feel as sorry for Americans with AIDS as I can for sub saharan Africans. For them there really is no hope.

3. Jedi44

Jedi44 IncGamers Member

If by 4% you mean 0.4%, you're right.

4. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Damn mathematics and their infernally hidden decimal points!

EDIT: Changed division to actually be correct.

5. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Thanks for telling me what I should worry about SK.

6. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I thought there were roughly 300 million Americans. Unless Axeil and Jedi aren't counting minorities. Racist scum. :mad:

7. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

I had always heard about 250 as the number. But then all my history books are really odd and had outdated data (Russia was still the USSR in some books), so it's probably out of date. If it's 300 million then its about .33333~ percent. So it's less than half a percent of our population.

8. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Well saying 0.3 or 0.4 percent is kind of dressing it down. I think a Million people with HIV is very significant. It's very unfortunate, since the disease is 100% preventable. In terms of the resources needed to treat them, the numbers must be even more staggering.

9. SirKnightmare

"I DONT LIKE SK SO IM GOING TO TURN AIDS INTO A JOKE ROFL!!!"

You people are absolutely amazing.

10. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

hmmm, 1 000 000 people? that is the equivalent of roughly 4% of my country(CANADA). still a rather insignificant number.

11. Jedi44

Jedi44 IncGamers Member

Sorry if it appeared as if I was making light of the situation, that was not my intent. I was just correcting some fuzzy math.

While 1,000,000 people is a lot... as previously stated, it's only .3% of the population, roughly. I lean more towards the "I feel much worse for third world citizens who have vastly inferior knowledge of/effective means of combating AIDS than American citizens who have very easily attainable means of preventing it."

12. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

13. Steel_Avatar

How exactly is pointing out that this is a mere fraction "turning AIDS into a joke"? And if you're referring to me, I was referring to the thread title. Thanks, but I think we're all intelligent enough to decide for ourselves what matters.

14. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I hate plagues ... too many good people have fallen to this dreaded virus.

RIP Arthur Ashe :(

15. SirKnightmare

I was pretty much referring to most of you. If you or someone you loved had AIDS it would be a hell of a lot more than a fraction. Turning the lives a million people plus the ones who have to watch them go through it into a fraction and laughing about it, yeh that's turning it into a joke.

You, in particular, can take your sarcasm somewhere else. If you really think the Michael Jackson Verdict deserves top billing over the AIDS story then I'm not sure you do know what is important. If this is you, than response to your "Thanks", no problem you need it.

16. bobmarley

bobmarley IncGamers Member

Sub-Sahara Africa Preach to Jah.

17. Steel_Avatar

Who was laughing? They were correctly pointing out that while one million is a large number, relatively speaking it isn't.

And I never said that the Jackson trial should take top billing. I could care less about the man. But I don't need you to tell me that. It was your arrogance, in the thread title, that irritated me. Acting as if you're so much smarter than everyone else, that we need you to tell us what is important.

To be blunt, the others are right. A million is a mere fraction of the overall population, and so this is not a gigantic tragedy in the big picture. Sure, a million is a big scary number, but when you're talking about 250 (300?) million, it ain't so bad.

18. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Hey, so long as we join this 0.3% infection rate with education schemes that ignore condoms, the nation can go nowhere but up!

19. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

HIV / AIDS is very scarey STDS are not the same as when I was young, back in the days of Hippies and "Free Love" ... sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous :thumbsup:

20. SirKnightmare

That's great how you can plug a million lives into a percent and blow it off. Yeh, 1 million people dying "ain't so bad", glad the "not my problem not a problem" mentality is working for you. I don't understand people like you, so I won't try and make you understand.

I have no clue how I am acting smarter than anyone else, I was lashing out at the news networks when I said that, not anyone in this forum.

Steel, I have come to the conclusion that pretty much everything I say "irritates" you. I would think that you would have grown to ignore my comments by now. Trust me, I wasn't thinking of you when I made the thread, I never think of you.