Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In need of help!!!

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by DominusAurelius, Mar 21, 2004.

1. DominusAurelius

DominusAurelius IncGamers Member

In need of help!!!

This may be a bit longwinded......I have played D2, LoD for quite some time. Im not generally into online play, just like the go 1 player and have some hack and slash fun.......I have had a character for quite some time, a Paladin who has grown rather strong.....level....not quite sure of level, but I am at Act 3 of Nightmare.....But it seems that the difficulty of the game has begun to outrun the level of my character and the quality of my equipment. What am I to do, honestly? Constantly fighting, not really moving on, just to gain levels is exausting and getting me no where. However, the astronomical odds against finding high level runes and itemsm compounded with the numerous types of weapon upgrades (runewords, crafted items, sets, uniques) have left me quite dumbfounded and dead set against playing a game that I really enjoy. ANY help on how to find better items, runes, gain levels, find items, in a manner that is more efficient or easier than beating in my own brains would be absolutely wonderful and appreciated, especially from anyone with the stamina to read through all this.

2. Demppa

Demppa IncGamers Member

I don't know am I the right person to help you 'cause my pally is in 3rd act in normal difficulty but still I can try.
    Completing quests usually help to make progress in the game and keep the charms with "better chance to find magic items" with you.
    I'm sorry: That's all help I can give to you.

PS: I see you're new here and I hope someone else can help you more

3. Fercil

Fercil IncGamers Member

Finding items is all about luck and patience to keep killing the critters. Items that have X% increased chance to find magic items will help somewhat but then you're probably forced to give up on something else. Check the items the vendors are selling, sometimes you can find really nice equipment there. Collect and sell everything worth money and use it for gambling, that can give some pretty nice items.

You do have a merc right? If you don't go get one as soon as possible and equip him/her with something decent.

At some points of the game you're practically forced to play the same areas again and again since your character won't be tough enough to proceed without getting really good equipment. One such point is when you finish Nighmare, chances are you're not strong enough to proceed to hell difficulty. Good idea in such situations is to combine the magic finding and experience gaining and go kill for example Baal again and again. Lots of experience and pretty good chances to find some nice items. If you're on nm act3 then Mephisto is similar monster there, he has pretty good chances to drop decent items.

To be able to give really good advices people would need to know what kind of character (skills, stats, items) you have so maybe you could post those?

4. DominusAurelius

DominusAurelius IncGamers Member

Thank you Fercil for the advice. I havent thought about repeatedly killing bosses for items. I will try that. About the mercs? Do I get the experience for the monsters they kill? And would equipping mercs with MF items help to get better drops? Another part of my question pertained to high level runes. Even some websites admit that high level runes are nearly impossible to find. How is it done? I know some people out there have them. And does MF affect rune finding?

About my character, I am a level 48 Paladin. I use the Holy Thunder runeword Sceptor, which was bad *** when I first made it, but now seems obsolete, since I'm getting my butt kicked on nightmare. My armor is prety generic, my shield is gemmed and gives some good resistences. Since I had the Holy Thunder, I have pumped up my Holy Shock Skill, which was probably a mistake since the weapon needs to go. More specifically, I do 313-874 damage, have a 1488 attack rating (though it seems i cant hit crap most the time), and a defense of 528, couple hits and im dead.

5. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Since you said you've played for a long time, you may be more used to 1.09 or older where a fairly sloppy build could take you much farther than it can in 1.10. You may want to check out some build guides and see if your skill points are distributed properly.

As far as finding good items, you'll want to stock up on %MF gear to increase your chances, but its still largely a matter of luck. Your best areas to run with your MF gear are 'The Pit' in act 1, Mephisto, and Baal. These are the areas most likely to get you some good drops.

6. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

With that lvl of a character, as a Paladin, I'd probably suggest running the Tombs in A2, if you can. Each one of the false tombs has a gold chest that can drop well...

If you're not very strong, bring a Mf setup with you instead of wearing it... Switch to that before killing a boss or specifically, opening the chest. (Make use of your weapon switch too)

The Pit in Act1 which fishman suggested is really only good in Hell. Ignore it in NM. Instead, if you can't handle the Tombs (Not usually many Highly Lightning Resistant monsters), go back to Act1, and do Countess Runs for Nice Runes (Could make different words and can acquire runes up to KO ) or Andariel runs. She can drop nicely as well.(But she's resistant to Lightning)

If neither of those are possible, (Countess should be) it's back to Normal Baal as your best option.

Mf% doesn't help with rune finding.

Mf% on your merc only works whe He/She gets the kill. At that point, their mf is added to yours.

You do get experience for monsters they kill. (And they get some for ones you kill... 1/3)

Meph is the best choice at that stage, if you can get to, and Handle him... but from what you're saying, I don't think you can at this stage.

I also hope you have Maxed Block.... it'll make a Big difference in survivability... especially going down to see the countess. (Many Physical damage attackers)