Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In need of computer help =[

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EEJ, Oct 10, 2006.

1. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

In need of computer help =[

So my operating system craped out and I cant even get to the windows loading screen so I'm reformating.

I was using Windows Xp pro but I now have a Windows xp home edition disk im trying to install now the problem comes when I hit "You wish to install windows"

I get a blue screen saying blah blah blah
    NTFS.SYS missing or corrupt... and I cant go any farther with that, same thing happens when I hit repair.

----
    Here's my specs.

Antec Sonata II case with 450w PSU

Asus A8N5X Main Board

Athlon 64 3700+ San diego CPU

Corsair XMS 1GB (2 x 512mb) memory TwinX1024-3200C2PT, DDR400 duel channel

Platinum Edition, 184 Pin, w/ SIlver Heat Spreader

Western Digital Caviar 16MB Cache 250gb 7200RPM Sata 3.0 Gb/s

*EVGA e-Geforce 7600GT CO super clock 256mb PCI-Expres

Onboard sound/lan

16x dvdr+-/Rw/DL

And when I boot from disk it gives me a message.
    Press F6 if you need to install 3rd part SCSI or RAID drivers.

The only thing I could dig up from the net that could be the problem is my sata drive not being reconized but honestly im lost and in need of help =[....

2. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

asus doesnt like giving out sata/raid bootable drivers for xp, a friend had a nice asus mobo and we could never get it to boot to xp to the sata/raid drives we had to install xp on a eide drive first then dual boot it to xp on the second set then change the boot.ini on the first eide drive to default to boot on the sata raid
    it was a pain but works good

3. rare

rare IncGamers Member

something kind of similar happened to me. it would refuse to boot up too..

i know its probably not the same situation, but what I did to resolve it was to become really really pissed off, and repeatedly putting in and ejecting the system restore cd that came with my computer.

after 5 minutes it magically accepted it and it let me reformat e.e

4. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

Can you explain that more please my brain is gonna burst.. :shocked:

5. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

When exactly does it say the files are corrupt/missing? If it says that when the files are being copied from the CD, the CD itself is probably damaged. I've had that happen several times with Windows CD-s.

You did delete the partition before trying to install Windows, right?

6. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

I'd suggest installing Ubuntu Linux, but you're on a gaming forum so you're prolly a gamer, and lets face it : a linux gamer is kinda like a windows hacker - you might be able to just barely scrape by, but its hardly a decent enviroment.

If you dont mind not being able to game easily on your compy and want to be able to do most of the stuff you did on windows, or if you just want something on your compy till you can fix windows on it, by all means try linux.

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

If you don't want to run games on your computer, just get a 386 and install DOS...

8. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

first we installed xp on an eide drive without the sata drives hooked up
    then configured the sata/raid and installed xp on the sata/raid array drive set to dual boot
    finially edit the boot.ini on the eide drive to default to booting from the sata/raid drives

9. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

i would suggest downloading a boot cd such as "ultimate boot cd" or "hiren's boot cd." You can find the ISO easily on bittorrent sites. Burn the ISO onto a blank cd and boot off the cd. Go to the harddrive options and choose to completely erase the drive (assuming that you backed up your info). That should allow you a clean install.

10. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

Please tell me that's a joke.

11. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

to everyone else.. it is.

To dondrei, oh he's serious

12. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

If you are reformatting or have already done so, just do a fresh install of Windows. From what you described it seems like you are still trying to recover your old OS -- which is probably corrupted beyond recovery. Hopefully you have a backup (right?) so you can just restore that backed up data after you install a fresh copy of Windows.

It's very rare that you get the blue screen of death (BSOD) while reinstalling windows. Usually when that happens it's a hard drive controller issue, a bad hard drive sector or the video adapter going haywire (it's usually a hard drive controller or something else with the hard drive).

Just go ahead and do a complete reinstall and format the drive (full format) as part of the recovery process.

Good luck.

Raffster

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Meh, what else would you want it to do? The only thing you need the power of a modern computer for is games. If it weren't for them I'd never have gotten rid of my 486DX2/66.

14. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

When I try a fresh install it Instantly crashes, I would love if it worked.
    I really dont care if I have anything backed up I just want my computer back to working condition.

It is crashing on a reinstall from everything I gathered it's my sata drive?

I dont know how I could get in and delete the partitions (help here?)

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Because you know things like Office and Photoshop or 3DSM don't require much at all. Hell even most websites today would make a 486 choke on it's power cord.

16. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

oh and I think this hole problem started because the windows xp pro I was running off of was either counterfeit or tomany people were usuing it cause a week before it totally went down it would give me messages saying *buy a new one here (click this balloon)* but I was broke at the time so i just kept running the programs while it was being nice to me. Then one day the xp load screen (with the green bar going back and forth) went back and forth 10-15 time then crashed and I havent been able to load xp since.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You overestimate the resources needed to display some jpeg files. I can't imagine a website making a 486 chug, not even if it's streaming video.

And Office only takes a lot of resources because it's a badly written pile of junk, hell use Works for DOS if you want. It would take a negligible tweak to its capabilities to equip it with modern conveniences, I mean it's just WORD PROCESSING for god's sake. You should be able to do it on a pocket calculator.

18. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

some flash banners kill even the quickest of computers
    youll need nt, 2000 or xp64 to make full use of the procossor and vidoe card

19. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

Well, you could always want to encode video, or just watch video for that matter. And even if you dont need graphics, *nix systems are still better then DOS because they support multitasking and multiple usersand whatnot.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well sure they're better, but does it really matter? If you don't play games or do something ridiculous like encoding video (how many people do that?), you could do pretty much everything just as easily on a 486. My point is that the number of tasks that require fast modern computers is very small, and apart from games they aren't the sort of thing most people do.

Watching video doesn't take much power, either.

Why wouldn't you turn those rubbish things off anyway?