Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

In-line ad links?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blinko1, Feb 26, 2004.

1. blinko1

blinko1 IncGamers Member

In-line ad links?

I just noticed that whenever I see the word diablo on these forums there is an inline ad link to some motorsports company.

I know that there is certain adware/spyware that can cause this behavior but I am wondering if this is on the server's side since it is served from etype (which serves the banners for this site).

I guess anyone could let me know if the word diablo has a link with a pop up description when they see it (I tried spybot and ad-aware with no results so I am hoping it is on the server).

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

It isn't happening to me although I'm using a browser which is neither IE nor Netscape, so I'm beneath their attention :)

You should be safe here though, as this forum is the one where you aren't allowed to use the D-word.

There was a post about this in the Patch Bug/Suggestion forum a while back, and you could also try the RPGForums support forum...

edit: Now that I think about it, that was probably before the forum crash. Doh! :rant:

3. blinko1

blinko1 IncGamers Member

Well if anyone who uses IE sees this that would be a great help. I am sitting here trying to figure out if it is on my end or not. I don't mind if it is on the servers but I don't want random spyware junk on my computer if it is on my end.

EDIT: Well I tracked down the site that serves this. It is called Intellitext from vibrantmedia and is apparently serverside (which makes me happy because I have been spy/ad ware free for about 9 months).

Thanks all.

4. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

I think the problem is on your end as I us IE and am not seeing what you are discribing.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's adware. I've seen it on my brother's computer. Most likely it's Gator or GAIN. I think one of those two programs do it. They install themselves if you install Kazaa, and for some reason I think AOL might have something to do with them too. You can go to download.com and search for ad-aware, it'll delete all that spyware crap off your machine. Beware though, it'll make regular Kazaa stop working (which is probably a good thing) and it'll kill Weatherbug if you run that.

6. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member