in dire need of help

Drugie

Diabloii.Net Member
in dire need of help

ok im a lvl 21 necromancer with mainly raising spells
ive got all the way through to tal Rashas Tomb (the real one) and inserted the staff into the thing that opens the hole in the wall. however the thing inside 9cant remember what it is calles) kills all my summons (1 blood golum, 3 mages, 3 reg scelitons) in one hit and if im lucks it kills me in 2.
ive tried alot of times but i cannot seem to beat it

any help would be appreciated

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Level 21 is pretty low to take on Duriel (that's the thing's name). I'd say go and level up for a bit and then try it again. Make sure to use your curses effectively while you're fighting Duriel. I'd suggest Decrepify as the curse of choice. Also make sure to watch out for the charge attack. That thing is really dangerous. If/when all of your skellies die, cast a TP and go get some more bodies to re-raise your army.

Thov

Diabloii.Net Member
Drugie said:
ok im a lvl 21 necromancer with mainly raising spells
ive got all the way through to tal Rashas Tomb (the real one) and inserted the staff into the thing that opens the hole in the wall. however the thing inside 9cant remember what it is calles) kills all my summons (1 blood golum, 3 mages, 3 reg scelitons) in one hit and if im lucks it kills me in 2.
ive tried alot of times but i cannot seem to beat it

any help would be appreciated
Get to level 24 and have a point in decrepify. Make sure you have a mercenary with a good weapon, and feed him potions. Without much of an investment in raise skeleton, I doubt they're going to do much good except for distracting Duriel (that's what he's called).

For the merc weapon, I would suggest gambling for a pike. If you can get one with about 50% enhanced damage, you should be able to get by Duriel. Make sure to have a LOT of healing potions for him though, and throw a bone spear at him or two if mana allows. Good luck.

Seems like my first necro. Mages arent that effective until they are a high level, and you'll need decrepify (available at lvl 24) really. Decrep is great for all act bosses, it slows, weakens and amplifies your (and minions) damage.

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok 4 things to help you out here.

1. Use clay golem, instead of blood, since clay will slow down Duriel with his attack.
2. Hire an act 2 merc for another melee tank and source of damage.
3. Level to 24 to get Decripify and slow/weaken him some more.
4. Drink a bunch of thawing potions and give a bunch to your merc as well, this will reduce the damage from Duriel's HF aura (but unfortunately will not keep you from being slowed).

All that should be enough to effectively weaken Duriel enough for you to kill him. If all that fails post in the multiplayer thread and I'm sure someone can help you out.

Drugie

Diabloii.Net Member
i dont have any curses only the things i can summon.

the skills i have are raise skellie lvl 5 skelle mastery lvl 5 clay golum lvl 2 skellie mage lvl 4 golum mastery lvl 3 and blood golum lvl 2

my stats are poor and i lost all my good weapons and armour wen i tried to beat it for the 1st-9th time

Drugie

Diabloii.Net Member
Thov said:
Get to level 24 and have a point in decrepify. Make sure you have a mercenary with a good weapon, and feed him potions. Without much of an investment in raise skeleton, I doubt they're going to do much good except for distracting Duriel (that's what he's called).

For the merc weapon, I would suggest gambling for a pike. If you can get one with about 50% enhanced damage, you should be able to get by Duriel. Make sure to have a LOT of healing potions for him though, and throw a bone spear at him or two if mana allows. Good luck.
how do you see your mercs stats and change his/her weapons ect

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
Drugie said:
ah i never knew that thx.

with it auto use potions ect ect
I'm not sure what you meant there...but you can feed your merc potions by having the potions in your belt and hitting <shift> and then the number of your belt slot. (eg. <shift> 2).

If you don't have anything equiped on your merc...that would explain why he/she isn't helping you out. You can put a helmet, armor, and weapon on your merc.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
The skills in Diablo are not equally strong. It seems like this is your first necro, so you can't know which skills are strong and which are weaker, whcich skills are worth a massive investment and which works perfectly with just a one point. I can tell you that Raise Skeleton is the strongest Necro skills if maxed. Golems are much weaker. One point invested in some curses could be the best invested point. Decrepify and Amplify damage are such curses.

For sure get a few levels, invest into raise skeleton skill and level your mercenary. To make leveling faster, use a players command: press enter, type "/players 8" press Enter, the game will tell you "players set to 8" You can type any number between 1-8, 1 is normal settings. The monster will have more life, but you will get more experience and chance of no-drop will be greatly reduced, so you will get more items.

You can give the items to mercenary if you press "O" button (by default). You can give polearm or spear, helm and body armor to an act 2 mercenary. Also don't gamble for Pike as Thov suggested, you can't do that on your level anyway. Instead use a horadric recipe for savage polearm (any diamond, any staff, any kris and any belt can give you one of the polearm weapon with 60-80% enhanced damage, pretty much the best you can get in act2. It takes several efforts before you get halberd or poleaxe. The savage weapon is usable at lvl 19.

EDIT: and you can retake your items by clicking the body on the floor (if you don't wear any other items). The body will not disappear if you save and exit, it will be in town in your starting position. The dangerous thing is that if you equip another items after you die and die again, you will have 2 bodies and only the last one is transferred into a new game.

Drugie

Diabloii.Net Member
the mech is helping slightly as wen hired it has a spear. wot i asked was if i put potions in the mercs inventory would the merc auto use them when it was hurt.

where is a good place to gain exp??

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Drugie said:
the mech is helping slightly as wen hired it has a spear. wot i asked was if i put potions in the mercs inventory would the merc auto use them when it was hurt.

??? Merc can't have items in inventory. You must feed him manually - take a potion, and click with it on his avatar. Or use a <SHIFT> key while pressing 1-4 : that will force him to drink a potion from an appropriate position of your belt.

EDIT good place to gain EXP is Arcane sanctuary or outer area of Canyon of the Magi.

Drugie

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
??? Merc can't have items in inventory. You must feed him manually - take a potion, and click with it on his avatar. Or use a <SHIFT> key while pressing 1-4 : that will force him to drink a potion from an appropriate position of your belt.
ok thats cleared that up thx

Drugie said:

Make sure you put armor, a pike or spear and a helm on him before fighting diablo. Buy them from the shopkeeper fara. No, he cannot use potions himself, you have to either do [shift] and then belt number (1-4) or, drag a potions onto his icon.
A god place to gain EXP would be canyon of magi or the other tombs.

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Drugie said:
Might I suggest the FAQs? An intro thread would be nice, too. Also, the best way to gain exp is to run the bosses, but you can also set the player number (like if other people joined your games) higher for harder to kill monstars, more exp, and larger drops, the comand is /players x where x= 1-8, 1 being default and 8 being max.

Llathias

Banned
strange how noone suggested that, but although it might be considered cheesy, the Iron Maiden curse works great on Duriel. cast Iron Maiden, let him kill your minions, cast a new golem as soon as the first one dies and soon Duriel will kill himself. you said you have no skill points in Curses, but well, you have to! get a few lvls and put the skills in the curses.

also, read Nightfish's Skellemancer guide, the latest version is on the first page of the forums as of now.