Impossible download speeds

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
VampiroXIII said:
Bingo .

How is that possible? :scratch: The fastest connection I've ever heard of being possible was 9.9 Gbps, and that is an expensive-*** WAN connection.
yeah I don't doubt the speed it said was vastly incorrect. But the file still downloaded almost instantly, before the counter could get a reasonably accurate speed going.

Shug_Ninx

Diabloii.Net Member
I use Shareaza. I know that my maximum dowload limit is around 90-100 kbps when Im dl'ing off a website. But when I'm on shareaza, sometimes it just into the 500-600 kbps. I confirmed that it is downloading that fast since saw the magic bar fill up and finish quickly. But I dont know how they were able to [trick?] my modem to go at that speed.

Oh yeah, and my internet connection is mediocre because of my distance from C/O. 784 kbps download. :( At least I got 384 kbps upload though!

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
I have gotten over 500kilobytes per second with my cable modem off of some good websites. Comcast recently upped download speeds though, so that is good. Too bad upload still sucks the booty.

BasTyra

Diabloii.Net Member
Isnt it the quality of phonelines that degrades the upload/download speed in most cases? I think dialup can go a lot faster than it usually does, its just that phone line noise and general crappiness tends to hinder it.

Ive gotten 80k/s on dialup before. I took a screenie. Mind you, it didnt last long and the speeds went down steadily as i got the file, but I got it damn quick. I have a hard time believing it was actually 80k/s though ;)

Once in a while ill get around 10-15k/s. Depends on the source. Usually its a 'steady' 2-5k for me though.

Funniest thing ive ever seen was a file that was supposedly 1TB in size. It had a lot of zeros. I laughed. :D

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Bah. Maybe I'll upgrade my 12MB/s connection to 24 or 40 one of these days. Or maybe I'll just go for the 100M FTTH option.

Everyone outside of Korea and Japan (well, and academic institutions) is pretty backward, basically.

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
It's funny how many idea people have about modem speeds. Trust me, whatever windows displays, it never downloads faster than 56/8 = 7 KB/s. It's impossible.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Pidder said:
It's funny how many idea people have about modem speeds. Trust me, whatever windows displays, it never downloads faster than 56/8 = 7 KB/s. It's impossible.
Id believe you but where are you getting the 8 in 56/8?

mullenman

Diabloii.Net Member
the other i was downloading some songs online(ony my 56 k internet) and insanely when i started the download it was running at 400 kb per second on 56 k now someone explain that.

Yavanna

Diabloii.Net Member
mullenman said:
the other i was downloading some songs online(ony my 56 k internet) and insanely when i started the download it was running at 400 kb per second on 56 k now someone explain that.
Why don't you give me some of those kbps. Oftentimes I'm running at bps.

Mad Merlin

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, let met clear up a few things here. I'm going to use the full names and not the abbreviations of speeds for clarity.

A 56k modem can transfer data at a maximum rate of ~56 kilobits/second, however because of laws regarding power output over phone lines, that is limited to ~53 kilobits/second. Further limiting the transfer of data is the quality of the phone lines and switching. In a perfect situation, the max of ~53 kilobits/second can be achieved for downloads, though uploads are limited to ~35 kilobits/second due to the inability of the modem to send digital signals (it can only recieve digital, but can send and recieve analog). Now, divide by 8 to get the maximums in kilobytes instead of kilobits...

53/8 = 6.625
35/8 = 4.375

Rounding to two significant figures we get a max download speed of ~6.6 kilobytes/second, and max upload speed of ~4.4 kilobytes/second. Now, we're using TCP/IP to communicate, which has an overhead of ~11%, bringing our maximum download and upload speeds to ~5.9 kilobytes/second and ~3.9 kilobytes/second respectively (rounding to two significant figures again).

But wait, if that's right, then how come I sometimes see download speeds above 6 kilobytes/second? Well, there's one final trick up the modem's sleeve, and that is that the signal is compressed before it's sent. Now, when you compress a plain text file for instance, you can often shrink the file 70% or more, depending on exactly what is inside of it. But, when you try to compress something that's already highly compressed, such as a zip file, the file size often will only shrink a small bit, or perhaps even get marginally larger. To give an extreme, a gigabyte large file filled entirely with zeros could be compressed down to only a few bytes.

Ok, so if you haven't read anything that I wrote so far, here's the paragraph you probably want to read. What all of the above means, is that because of transparent compression over the phone lines while you send information, depending on the file, you can actually recieve much more than ~5.9 kilobytes/second. As to an absolute maximum taking into consideration the extremes of compression, I couldn't give you any exact numbers as I'm not familar with the compression algorithm(s) used, but I suspect that you'd run into problems transferring the data locally (uncompressed) before you could max out the (compressed) line speed.

Choogy

Diabloii.Net Member
Ditto...Merlin, I bow to you :worship:
And I dont mess w/ Kazaa much anymore, but I understand exactly...