Impossible download speeds

Technetium

Diabloii.Net Member
Impossible download speeds

I'm on dialup. The highest data transfer speeds I should be able to get are somewhere around 6 kbps (I'm not going to bother finding the exact number).

Every now and then, when I go to download something (perhaps on Kazaa, for example), it will tell me that I am getting as much as 10-15 kbps. This isn't just a blip that lasts for a fraction of a second. I've had it go on for as long as a minute before dropping back below 6 kbps (and it will display that I have indeed transfered a huge amount of data from that amount of time).

How can this be possible?

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
you are downloading from multiple sources, lets say 3 users, all 3 of them going at 5k

thats what I'm guessing anyways, or it's just something screwy with the display

TheOgreMan

Diabloii.Net Member
Unless I am a total idiot dial-up is usually on a 56k modem; that means you are capable of going up to 56 kb/sec. That is the impression that I get from it. On dial-up I have gotten speeds as fast as 45 kb/sec. On DSL now, I get nice 500 kb/sec connections (sometimes even 3.6 mb/sec)

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Technetium said:
I'm on dialup. The highest data transfer speeds I should be able to get are somewhere around 6 kbps (I'm not going to bother finding the exact number).

Every now and then, when I go to download something (perhaps on Kazaa, for example), it will tell me that I am getting as much as 10-15 kbps. This isn't just a blip that lasts for a fraction of a second. I've had it go on for as long as a minute before dropping back below 6 kbps (and it will display that I have indeed transfered a huge amount of data from that amount of time).

How can this be possible?
It's not, Tech. Just had to respond before I go, god this forum is addicting. Well, it's basically a screwed up song. Every song that does that on dialup will end up being one of those nasty annoying screeching sounding songs, or a corrupt file. When you see that number hit 10 kbps, you know it's time to hit cancel. Ok guys, I'm outtie.

redneck hater

Diabloii.Net Member
Back in the day when I had KazAa I had a 56k dial up modem. Like you say I'd typically get around 2-8 kbs. While back I upgraded to a DSL modem, 2.7 mbps. Now on KazAa I was able to obtain speeds of around 60-80ish kbs. I dunno KazAa is always really slow for download speeds. If I'm downloading a file from a reliable source I can sometimes hit 90-100 kbs but not frequently.

TheOgreMan

Diabloii.Net Member
redneck hater said:
Back in the day when I had KazAa I had a 56k dial up modem. Like you say I'd typically get around 2-8 kbs. While back I upgraded to a DSL modem, 2.7 mbps. Now on KazAa I was able to obtain speeds of around 60-80ish kbs. I dunno KazAa is always really slow for download speeds. If I'm downloading a file from a reliable source I can sometimes hit 90-100 kbs but not frequently.
That is because on Kazaa you are relying on other people's connection speeds/number of uploads. You can have a T-3 connection but downloading from a guy only hooked in at 3 b/sec will be very slow. Also, some people allow for many, many downloads splitting their broadband up into several smaller packets, hence the slower downloads on Kazaa.

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
TheOgreMan said:
Unless I am a total idiot dial-up is usually on a 56k modem; that means you are capable of going up to 56 kb/sec. That is the impression that I get from it. On dial-up I have gotten speeds as fast as 45 kb/sec. On DSL now, I get nice 500 kb/sec connections (sometimes even 3.6 mb/sec)
This is true. although i thought that the 56k meant an upload, not download speed. But nonetheless it is possible to download at much higher then 5-6k/sec on a dial up connection.

asdf

Diabloii.Net Member
a 56k modem is 56kilobits, not bytes. that translates to about 7 kbit transfer rates maximum.

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
Smelly said:
It's not, Tech. Just had to respond before I go, god this forum is addicting. Well, it's basically a screwed up song. Every song that does that on dialup will end up being one of those nasty annoying screeching sounding songs, or a corrupt file. When you see that number hit 10 kbps, you know it's time to hit cancel. Ok guys, I'm outtie.
no you're not

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
As bogus as this sounds, I downloaded an 80meg file instantaniously, and the download speed said it finished at a speed of 142gigabytes per second (yeah, gigabytes). Scariest moment of my life.

asdf

Diabloii.Net Member
it was already downloaded before?
if you go to speed rating sites, and press the back/forward button after the test instead of reloading, you can get impossible/negative dl speeds

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
That sounds bogus, as in "you already had the file cached on your HD and the browser just went and grabbed that."

Silvermyst

Diabloii.Net Member
asdf said:
it was already downloaded before?
if you go to speed rating sites, and press the back/forward button after the test instead of reloading, you can get impossible/negative dl speeds
no, this was on a school computer that would have (and i know I didn't download it before) never downloaded anything. Let alone be in the same folder I saved it to.
This was divine intervention i tells you.

Kore

Diabloii.Net Member
Silvermyst said:
no, this was on a school computer that would have (and i know I didn't download it before) never downloaded anything. Let alone be in the same folder I saved it to.
This was divine intervention i tells you.
Was this before or after your newfound alcoholism?

VampiroXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
asdf said:
a 56k modem is 56kilobits, not bytes. that translates to about 7 kbit transfer rates maximum.
Bingo .

Silvermyst said:
As bogus as this sounds, I downloaded an 80meg file instantaniously, and the download speed said it finished at a speed of 142gigabytes per second (yeah, gigabytes). Scariest moment of my life.
How is that possible? :scratch: The fastest connection I've ever heard of being possible was 9.9 Gbps, and that is an expensive-*** WAN connection.