Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Important question for anyone with computer knowledge ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Frozen Orb, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

Important question for anyone with computer knowledge

Well, unfortunately I'm having problems... I'm getting the blue screen of death...:cry: Anyways, I've been thinking of running it into the best buy geek squad and they'll run diagnostics and then find what part is wrong, but just the diagnostics itself costs $100.00. So i thought i'd tell everyone the problems and see if anyone can help before i spend all of the money

Well, it freezes and goes to that damn blue screen when either A)I visit websites/browsers for an extended period of time. B) the more things i have going on, the quicker it happens. C) When i Try to play W.O.W. at all. and 4) I can play Diablo fine, but everytime I close outta the program, my graphic wallpaper I have off the web disappears, and my new background is just blue. I have a feeling either I have bad ram or my video card is bad, but what would I know. Any suggestions?

2. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I would say you've got some bad RAM. As you browse, your cache grows and grows, and when it tries to use that`damaged RAM, Poof! BSOD!

A good memory checker is memtest86, google it. It will tell you if something is up.

3. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Try and find something called "The ultimate boot cd"

It's a very useful little disc with open source apps to run full diagnostics on everything in your PC from Harddisk to RAM. you should be able to download a copy. Make your CD-rom the boot drive and stick the cd in. Looks like a BIOS screen. from there you can test anything you want.

Linky for Ultimate boot disc

4. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

I have a feeling if i tried to do any this myself I'd mess something up, everyone i've talked to told me that this would not be good.

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Ame, Gaz, Amen! Testify!

How could I forget? That CD is awesome. Must-have for everyone.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

It could be also the overheating. What is your CPU temperature? (You can find it in Bios - usually in Health status tab)

7. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

the weirdest thing about it, is sometimes i can browse web pages for hours upon hours, and then the next day ill visit a site for like 30 seconds and then it'll freeze up.

@hrus, its funny u say that, because my computer was built by a friend, and he never actually was able to put the fans in there because we didnt have the screws, and he assured me that wouldnt be a problem, but now look whats happening.

8. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

get yourself some fans in there asap. if parts of it are overheating then it would cause bsod. also if your not careful long term damage might happen from repeated over heating

9. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Now that definitely sounds like dodgy RAM. My old PC used to reboot at random intervals. Would be fine for days and then reboot 3 times in 5 minutes. Turns out the RAM was faulty.

The biggest problem if it is the RAM is seeing if it is the chip itself or the slot on the Motherboard as both will give you the same error.

10. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Put fans in where? There are only a couple of CPU heatsinks (Scythe Ninja for example) that are able to cool the CPU passively (= without a fan) but then the case cooling must be decent. But all this is way over your head I'm afraid.

11. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

Sound like I'm going to have to pay that stupid geek squad at best buy...

12. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

if you have the fans (which by the sounds of the posts you do) it shouldnt cost much to get them fitted. also problems like this is another good reson to be good mates with a cyber cafe owner who will fix stuff like this dirt cheep :D.

edit: or depending on how confedent you are i know theres quite a few online tutorials on fitting basic pc parts. (being fans i dont think there would be to much work in just fitting them)

13. Frozen Orb

Frozen Orb Banned

@deaddave, since im not the brightest with this whole diagnostic thing, do u just suggest the fans, and then if it still occurs, take it for the diagnosing, are do u sound sure that fans will solve this?

14. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Agree with Deaddave. Putting a fan is pretty much a case of, "screw this in here, plug this in there, and reboot". Just remember to not be daunted by the innards of your pc.

15. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

If you dont have any fans in your pc then this really must be the first step before you do anything else. Dont pay someone $100 to turn a screwdriver a few times!!!

If you are still getting blue screen of death after, then you can move on to looking at something else, but fans really are a must and you should give your mate a slap! ;)

16. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

PC hardware is simple. Just open the case and you'll see.

17. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

I don't think it's necessarily a hardware problem, it could be a software problem, but see below.

With regards to the hardware, I agree with Toppo, but take care not too touch the PCB's (circuit boards) on the printed parts, they tend to be a bit sensitive to fatty acids which are released by your hands, you can hold them on the edges. Open the case and look whether there are any fans. and whether they work when you turn the machine on. In addition, against overheating, it's important that the fans are not full of dust. If you see that they are (not even full but quite a bit, the same goes for the heatsink itself on the cpu), then get a can of compressed air (which is a good idea anyway) and blow the dust out. This compressed air should be available at any computer store, but be careful, don't use it for very long in a row, you'll feel it getting quite cold due to adiabatic decompressure. Also don't use a hairdryer or a vacuum cleaner to get the dust out. The former will literally fry the components, the latter can damage components due to it's high sucking force. It might however be a good idea to keep the vacuum cleaner on while blowing out the dust with the airspray, just keep the vacuum cleaner at some distance (20 cm should be enough) and suck up the dust blown out by the airspray. For the heatsink on the cpu things are a bit tricky, there should be a fan on top of the heatsink, which you can screw off, after that you can easier blow the dust out of the heatsink, although I had it myself that to get all the dust out I needed to remove the entire heatsink and also work with a needle to pull the dust out, of course I had to reapply the cooling paste between the heatsink and the cpu afterwards as well.
    In addition, disconnect and reconnect all the wires, do it one by one, immediately reconnecting, so you won't forget which goes where. They do tend to get loose after a while sometimes, so this is something that could help.

Also go into your bios, and check whether any temperatures are measured and whether the computer is set to give an alarm when some treshold is reached. If none is measured, then bad luck, if it is, make sure you set the alarm, so you can test to see whether there is an overheating problem.

With regards to the background disappearing, I've had the same thing but it might have been only when using the runeword mod (?)

The BSOD might also be caused by dodgy software, for example running windows is often the cause of the computer crashing randomly, sometimes restarting spontaneously, sometimes displaying a BSOD first. Some versions of windows are less unstable than others. If you're running windows 98/ME, then definitely get something else (I needed to run Age Of Empires II for windows 98 to be stable, which is quite bad when you want to play another game). Furthermore, check whether you have any vira/trojan horses/spyware, and always use a firewall when connected to the internet. Some free (as in beer) programs to deal with these nuisances are spybot, ad aware and antivir. A free (as in beer) firewall is zone alarm, but if you use that don't ever agree to use the professional trial unless you actually want to upgrade to it. Furthermore, check running processes, if there is anything you don't recognize, do a search for the program both on your computer and on the internet. The former to find the location, the latter to see whether it is potential malware. Also check all installed programs to see whether there is anything that is fishy (nothing to do with a fishymancer). If you're using Internet Exploiter or a derivative, set all internet options (security settings) to prompt or block, in particular disable all activeX. If you're using a decent browser (such as Opera or Mozilla), disable all the javascript sub-options (although I think you can leave javascript enabled), disable automatic redirection and disable referrer login (all should be found somewhere under settings or preferences). Disable popups, and cookies from third party sites. At first things will be a bit annoying, but you can slowly get back to less secure settings, after you've solved your problems. In addition, some games come with starforce which can severely compromise your computer (I had to reinstall because I did not manage to get the cdrom working anymore, probably thanks to starforce). I also have had some trouble after using McAfee/Norton security software (a limited time trial which I did not want to continue).

Anyway, I'd try to do a windows reinstall, but first download a firewall, anti spyware and anti-virus program and save them somewhere safe, the same goes of course for all your important documents and Diablo save games and stashes. If you have only one partition, put them on a disc (floppy/pendrive/cd/dvd, although the floppy doesn't have enough room and the dvd is overkill), the documents and save games etc you can put on a webmail service for safekeeping, for example gmail. After you reinstall, first install the firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware, only then try to connect to the internet (if you have difficulty with that you should be able to call your ISP). I did not do that recently, and during windows update (yes only connecting to the Microsoft site) I was already attacked hundreds of times. Of course I never clicked okay on any of the pop-up windows. You should close any pop-up window by clicking on the close button, not on ok, unless you're absolutely sure that it's indeed okay (note: quite often the malware masquerades as anti-malware).

Alternatively, you could try a different OS, Linux, BSD, and MacOS X are all a lot more secure than windows. But since you're not used to them, I'd advice to install them alongside windows first. While reinstalling windows, create an extra partition to install another OS, then proceed to reinstall windows, and only then install the other OS on the other partition. You can then dual boot, trying out the other OS, while still keeping windows for if you get stuck. Most games won't play in those other OSes, although using Wine you can get quite a few to work, an example being Diablo II (albeit with some issues in fullscreen mode), I think I've seen posts on the Ubuntu forums about a `how to' to get World Of Warcraft, which you mentioned, running as well.

18. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

And if you need help form a "geek squad", get in touch with someone that don't charge you a 100 box just to take a look at it. That's a silly price.

19. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Coud someone please give me noob-proof, step-by-step instructions to
    1. check the temperatures of my hardware components
    2. activate/deactivate/modify the speed of my fans

20. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

1) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3301.html