Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Impalezon?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by DrSeuss, Feb 1, 2004.

1. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

Impalezon?

Has anyone bothered with this?

I mean, at lvl 20, your AR is +575% and your damage is +775%. And weapon degradation is only 25%.

Now, I'm not sure if that means a weapon becomes instantly useless, or whether it just looses a pt of durability. But, even so, money's cheap (so to speak). If you're willing to head back and repair your weapon every so often, it shouldn't be a big deal.

And if you have a self-repair or indestructable weapon, it becomes even better.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been done. I'm just wondering if it's been done recently, and what pointers y'all might have.

2. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

I personally haven't tried it but I remember a post a while back that said it will work but impale is slower the jab or fend something about the animation IIRC.

3. Jerkazoid

Jerkazoid IncGamers Member

interesting build, and a bit of a challenge.. but no one seems to find it viable.. its just such a slow attack and that makes up for its dmg in many ways.

however... the Valk seems to be ok with it :?

4. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

It has always been a nice skill and it can be very viable if you use the right tactics to keep the monsters a bit ordered. Impale is roughly twice as slow as a normal attack and can easily be interrupted so that scares a lot of people away from using it. Chances are that if monsters mass around you, they will hit and interrupt you so often that it can take a while before you even get an impale attack off.
    The best idea is thus to cast decoy often and use your valkyrie and mercenary to fight the monsters first. Then you come in and impale them. A fast spear and a good amount of IAS is necessary to use it continuously throughout the game. One of the best weapons is a cruel mancatcher with IAS mod, shael runes and additional IAS from gear. Ultimately the unique mancatcher is the weapon to go for (Viperforge?).

Overall build her like any other spearazon or javazon.
    Strength for damage, although impale already gives a very high boost.
    Dexterity coupled with penetrate for high attack rating (or use inner sight levels 1-5 normal, 5-15 nightmare, 20-30 hell, +passive skills is advised for this)
    Vitality for life of course.
    Energy not really needed, but may be handy from gear if you cast a lot of inner sight, slow missiles, decoy and valkyrie.
    A good amount of critical strike, dodge/avoid/evade to what feels comfortable.
    Level 10-20 penetrate, level 8 to 17 valkyrie and perhaps inner sight as indicated.

I was always advocation of impalazons Jerky and I think valkyrie uses normal attack.

5. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

I actually was going to post a similar inquiry as the one above, since I have recently acquired (albeit less than perfect) Stoneraven. With 550 extra defense and ~40% resist all accompanying the high damage, it might be a good item to look for and possibly shael or 40/15.

JMP

6. techie

techie IncGamers Member

Jab, the 1 point wonder, will in all likelihood do more damage than Impale over time due to the uninterruptible nature of its attack. Jab will attack at approximately 4x the rate that impale will.

Fend, is your real spearazon physical damage skill. However, since your question is about impale viability take Kirsty's advice for a standard spearie quick layout. Impale will work, if you separate your enemies out, its just that other skills outshine Impale in terms of versitality.

7. Jerkazoid

Jerkazoid IncGamers Member

thats the point i think i was trying to make..
    you could do it.. but the other builds will be all around faster.

i would think youd need some backup skill plan as well... FA,WWS, PJ even some light skills.

i found a stoneraven and loved the mods.. but hated that fact that i would have no shield. when u go down some stairs or walk around a cornor and get swapmed with fast monsters.. "RUN AWAY!" or be deadeded. you will have to use extreme caution when playing. (too much caution for my taste)

if only they made 1 handed spears.. know what i mean? non throwable and socketable.

i did try out impale once on one of my more succefull lvl 21 duelers.. it certainly seemed uniteruptible during test duels, thats what made me consider it....not that i can argue with krysty though .. hmm, what was the deal then?