Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Impalazon? o.O.

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by NagisaFurukawa, May 2, 2008.

1. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Impalazon? o_O.

The chance of failure is pretty high (read: very high), but it's still worth a shot. Anything should be possible in twinked SC.

1) Defense: Will this even matter? Even with a Defiance merc, I don't think an Amazon can get enough defense to consistently avoid being hit in the 15-52 frames it takes to complete an Impale.

2) Gear: The weapon is the main issue. eBotD Ghost Spear would be my choice, but that's out of the question (Single Player: no Zod). No other runewords produce decent options for Spears, so I'm stuck with Rares (have none) and Uniques. Steel Pillar and Hone Sundan (not ethereal) look like the two best choices. They seem pretty evenly matched. As for the rest of the gear, enough IAS for a reasonable FPA and then the rest into resistances makes the most sense to me. Thoughts?

3) Skills: Well, this will be a pure Impalazon, so there really aren't that many places to put points. Impale/Decoy/Inner Sight will be maxed. After that though, I'm not too sure. Slow Missiles doesn't get much from additional points, but Penetrate doesn't help that much either. D/A/E are obviously out of the question, and Critical Strike doesn't work with Impale. Any ideas?

4) Mercenary: Holy Freeze merc with Reaper's, Gloom, and some random helm sound ok? Would pick Delirium if I had one, but the curses would probably just override each other every second anyway. Also gave an Act 3 cold merc some consideration. Freeze is valuable, but not sure if it's worth losing a tank.

Sorry. That was pretty long. Thanks in advance to anyone who stops by to read/answer a question or two. =).

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

Re: Impalazon? o_O.

check out the impale vs jab sticky.

here's an excerpt

3. NagisaFurukawa

haha. I'm a fan of making silly characters like these. I already understand all of Impale's problems (15-52 FPA, interruptibility, buggy CS/DS/D/A/E, bad animation... possibly left something out), but that's just fuel to my fire.

Anyway, jiansonz made it pretty far into the game with an untwinked HC Impalazon before dying, and a few people have managed to Matriarch/Guardian them in the past.

4. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

1) Prudence (Mal Tir) gives nice defense (auto repair, so those ethereal defense bugged armors can be used). Make bugged armor for merc too, then defiance merc is gives you and merc nice defense boost.

2) That Steel Pillar adds little more defense. So maybe better if going defense route.
    I used way way back eth rare spear with auto-repair, max damage about 800, tested impale too with that. But rares are hard to find. So Pillar is good enough, more challenge. You are not making powerbuild, so give at least some chance to monsters by using little weaker weapons.

3) Impale gives huge ar boost, but hard to get 95% chance to hit even with max penetrate, so put there if not other place.

4) Reapers is best for that build, maybe guillaume (crush blow) for helmet. (Bugged) duress is good armor for merc.
    Downside with good merc with impalezon is that he kills 95% and leaves just couple monsters for you. With act3 merc, you have to kill 95%, so more challenge.

edit: I like silly builds too, those are nice. Have fun.

5. MuffinMan

MuffinMan IncGamers Member

Add another fan of silly characters right here :laugh:
    Love beating the game focusing on the "wrong" skills

Please post back your progress.
    Have you considered a hone sudan?
    +160-200% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 20-40 Damage
    45% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 Durability in 10 Seconds (so you can even use a etheral one)
    ...and 3 lovely sockets

Edit: Man I must have been tired when reading your post, ofcourse you did consider it..
    Well, great spear anyways

6. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Its so weird using Hone Sudan with impale.. The idea with crushing blow is to hit as many times as you can.. And with impales slow a$$ attack, it seems kinda a waste of CB. The Hone Sudan compliments fend and jab much more in my opinion. Btw, I've gotta lvl 74 HC spearazon that uses fend and impale with a hone as main and a Snare for when It gets to rough for me. (75% slow is nice) And I must say that this char is the scariest build I've ever built so far. She is a weapons platform alright.. Nice killing power, but its dangerous and I usually am optimistic but im sure she wont last for the rest of this season.. Good luck m8! keep plenty of purples with ya.

Edit: Id actually recommend lycanders flank. maybe uppdd. Nice damage, good speed, LL, Vital+strg, and +4 to your impale so theres an extra 100% damage and AR boost. Only thing that would suck is the repairs I guess.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  7. NagisaFurukawa

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to shoot for high defense... because I can't really afford it. Since that's the case, I'll go the Act 3 mercenary route. Many style points I guess. Hone Sundan seems to be the best choice. An ethereal upgraded one outdamages Steel Pillar. Lycander's would be good as well, but the constant repairing is really stupid. Stuff breaks so fast. It took 3 repairs to bring down Izual.

After about 10 hours of playtime, she's in Act 4 Normal. It's VERY slow going, especially on /players 8 with an Act 3 mercenary. The best way to get hits in with Impale seems to be to get the enemy to attack first, so you can evade and counter. Meh.

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I can only add a few suggestions to what has already been said...

- Silence would make a nice spear, but as you are SP, I doubt you have the runes...

- Get as many HP as possible so that fewer hits trigger hit recovery. Maybe think about the DR route (Sols, life everlasting, etc.) for the same reason.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

9. robzombiesslave

robzombiesslave IncGamers Member

Maybe a perfect eth upped zod'ed lycanders pike? :grin: lol

10. scottee

scottee IncGamers Member

Wow, just checked the German speedcalc. So with a Viperfork, you only need Treachery, Highlords, Laying of Hands, and 3 ias jewels to reach a 15-frame impale!!

Wow, you have got to have more patience than I could ever imagine. Good luck and go get your head examined :wink3:

11. NagisaFurukawa

Actually, you need 223 for a 15 frame Impale with a Mancatcher. Shael Viperfork + 60 IAS Armor + 45 IAS Helm + Highlord's + LoH + Nosferatu's = 225 IAS. BARELY possible.

Doesn't matter. 25 frames is plenty fast. If all goes well, I'll be done in a week. ;).

lol @ Zod. I'd make BotD in a 1.07 eGPA if I ever found one. Yum.

12. Zelator

Zelator IncGamers Member

Thought of Arioc's Needle?

GL with your zon, I wish I had the patience as you have. :smiley:

13. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Why are you not sharing your Zods with me Nagi. I thought we were friends. :(