Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

immune to physical

Discussion in 'Classic' started by GuinnessMike, Nov 4, 2006.

1. GuinnessMike

GuinnessMike IncGamers Member

immune to physical

I have a level 71 barb and my weapon of choice is a gemmed MDF maul with 2 pskulls/ 2 pameryst/1 pdiamond my ww is 3572 = I am in Hell act2 and I run into monsters - usually wraiths - who are immune to physical - especially in arcane - I can spin on them all day and while I don't get hurt the other minions have a chance to get to me and I lose life left and right. My wife is an ice sorc and many of those immune to physicals are also immune to cold. Is there something I am missing in my build to deal with these monsters? Should I just leap over them and keep moving to finish arcane and forget these few monsters I can't kill? I tried making a posion maul that didn't work and I also found some unique swords that together added up to over 300% to the undead and not only was their no effect on these suckers they would get me killed because the swords were not strong enough on the other monsters amongst the immune to physical
    Yeah its a noob question maybe but hey it REALLY bothers me to leave monsters alive behind me

Your thoughts on this topic would be appreciated

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

You can use the Berserk skill on those nasty physical immune pests. Just 1 point should be fine, Berserk deals magic-type damage based on the damage from your weapon. You might want to get a chunky rare +ed% beast sometime to make the job easier.

Keep in mind that you can't leech from PI's, and the ghosts will leech your mana away. Those Pskulls, and the Pdiamonds wont be doing you any good versus PI's. AFAIK +dmg to undead% only augments your physical damage, and Berserk is magic damage.

Otherwise, I wonder if 6x elemental pgems (5 ptopaz/ruby, 1 psaph for chilling) along with WW would work?

I play LoD, but the premise is still the same, and barbs still have the same issues with PI's. Berserk is the default solution, but I've found that with one of my barbs, fast weapons with high elemental damage and whirlwind does the job just as well.

3. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Sorry for asking but how do you get 35xx dmg with that martel?? My damage with a 292 dmg rare mart is like 2.2k and I have 250 str.

4. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I'm guessing he looked at the AR, not the WW dmg.

even with a godly chant he wouldn't see that level dmg with a gemmed maul, but if he had that level chant, he wouldn't be worrying about phys immunes either :)

5. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

somehow the part "my wife is an ice sorc" made me think about her teleporting into some bank and getting all the money out without anyone noticing it

and as for arcane sanctuary? why cant your wife just teleport to the summoner? leave the ghosts and get the guy

in my opinion berserk is useless, 1hit = 1/3 life of a ghost and there are like other 5 which burn your mana...

btw .
    I wanted to buy a stone of jordan for my friend for his birthday, hell I would buy 10 for myself provided that I found where.

6. Kevin William Cox

Kevin William Cox IncGamers Member

It all depends on your style of play. It sounds to me, like you like to be able to kill anything that comes your way. Some people ignore what takes a while to kill, and move on to areas where they can kill with greater speed. Some like to kill everything on the screen, no matter how long it takes. If killing everything on the screen is your preference, 1 in Berserk will do it. It's faster than a gemmed Mart or Sword. I tried the gemmed route also, it isn't worth it. Though as Fledge mentioned, doing this in Arcane will take a LONG time and many, many Mana pots. But, PI and Immune to cold, spawn sometimes in Travincal and in the CS. You can re-make game, but I don't like to, makes me feel like I gave up, which I hate.

However, you will level faster if you leave them and move on to areas where you can kill faster. It's just a matter of how you like to play the game. Good luck.

Kev

7. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

This was extensively covered in a recent thread: Berserk+warcry (stun) is the solution, even a low lvl of warcry can do it. Lvl=1 warcry is too short, some +skills are needed. Lvl 1 berserk is ok. Also you need lots of mana pots, they will burn your mana and you dont want the warcry to run out, its all very tedious, perhaps one of the most tedious skill combo's in the game, under very trying circumstances, and you dont have a shield, so they will be hitting very often.

And for the poster who always says "oh that wont work", yes it does work, I recently tested it with my up and coming ww barb, and he's not the first in my stable to do this skill combo on the PI's in arcane. Howl (need to be at or above monster lvl) or grimward (prerequisites required) can be good if you dont want to leap thru arcane. I wouldnt use a socketed maul with berserk, you want the highest possible dmg weapon with incr att speed.

8. GuinnessMike

GuinnessMike IncGamers Member

Thanks for the hints I will definately try them all
    I hate leaving ANYBODY behind as am old pilot who never leaves runway behind me when I land I want to kill them all. Also while my wife could teleport in and get me past arcane I don't want to do that - I want to earn my quests by killing monsters. I recently found a Bonesnap and have been using it and switching off to the gemmed maul when the mana isnt keeping up. Never had put any points in the beserk so when I do it will give me a lvl 3because of +1 to barb and +1 to all armor and ammy. It still tickles me when I see people coming into games and only doing the quests in a rush from a higher level - what fun is that? I guess people want to build the perfect character and dont want to spend the time. Paitence is a virtue

Again thanks to all who helped

9. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

to a point.

however, if one has figured out a build, that works well say for example a WW barb/MF/GFer. and one acquires a new weapon outside of his mastery, but otherwise will be essentially the same thing, then why not reach that same peak rapidly?

especially for those of us who have played the game for a while, and only get to play the game in short, concentrated bursts of playing time?

10. KoalaBearThirtyThree

KoalaBearThirtyThree IncGamers Member

If the number of players in the game is small then an item with open wounds works well too. My barb ran into a similar situation and I switched to the boneflesh unique armour for the physical immunes. It takes a few minutes but it does the job. I just whirlwind back and forth once ina while (I think open wounds lasts for something like 7 seconds and would do around 700(?) dmg at clvl 60ish). I'm not sure if you can find boneflesh armour but if you do it works very well... I'm not sure about later on in hell or with more players...

For me the real big problems with physical immunes are in Tal Rasha's tomb (I typically solo bosses). If you skip ghosts, they just follow you and cause problems.

11. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

I normally self chant via the laptop, but you can also leap+stun, or howl+stun to get past them, or send them scattering when they get too close.

most of my baba's have 30frw boots and a couple more into the skill, so running past, or out distancing them is rarely a problem.

12. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Good idea but I am slow so they catch up :) When I play the barb, the real problem with the ghosts is not their damage or the fact that they are physically immune, but rather they leech mana. Losing mana can be a bigger problem than actually taking damage with many of my builds :)

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Mana burn critters are my worst nightmare for most of my builds, too. Once you're out of mana, it takes a second or two for you to realize it and then to hit the mana pot in your belt. During that seccond or two, you are taking damage from these guys, which can be bad for a teleporting sorc or a LF zon or any build that relies on mana for movement or attacking. In LOD, the most annoying is Baal's mana burn attack. You can't get out of the way of it quick enough.

14. Fearlessone

Amusing story...

This post concerns a certain build of the paladin and not the barb, which is the main subject of this thread.

Back before 1.08, there were revelations about changes in the paladin and that fanaticism was going to have a damage bonus. There was alot of talk on your old paladin forum, KoalaBear, about starting effective rangers (bowpallys) once the new patch was implemented. So, I finally joined the closed realms and made an online ranger. He finished up at lvl 91 before 1.10 killed him off essentially.

His most amusing moment was on the way up in hell mode. I had prepared for act2 by pre-making a gothic bow with topazes, rubies, pskull, and emerald to deal with the PI's. It was a full game in Tal Rasha's tomb. There were a few barbs, some zealot, some summoner, and several zons. No sorcies to be seen. The ghosts were just devastating to this group: no berserk, no vengeance, no elemental arrows on the zons. And you can be absolutely sure that the necro was Iron Maidening 400x in every room...

I had whipped out my socketed gothic bow, and using fan was taking them out with some protection from the summons and inept zons. There were lots of player deaths, however slowly but surely we went from room to room. Progress, and being so close to Duriel kept the group intact. Sometimes I would run out of arrows and go to town, and then it became clear to all where the damage was coming from. One of the exasperated zons finally msged to the other zon: "I can't do crap with this bow, the only person doing any damage is the stupid pally with his bow..." I was honored.

15. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Respect! That's amazing... kudos to you for getting a ranger that high... were you a pure ranger? How was crowd control?

I think moments like that are the highlight of this game for me. Its neat to see stuff like that. The best parties are the ones with weak chars who really need to work together or pull of some obscure tactic to survive... that's cool...

16. Fearlessone

Yes, pure ranger. I did cs runs on uswest classic hell mode from early 2002 until the evil day of Oct. 28th 2003. You cant convert while wielding a bow, and weapon change took too long, so my attack was only a regular attack. Zons loved the fan aura. I couldnt do much with PI's. At that time I dont believe that 'immune to physical' could be removed with an amp curse. There were always other party members who could take them out, cuz the only PI's in cs runs would be an occasional boss. I would go right up to an intended target, even the oblivions, their decrep wasnt very powerful then. I hated other monsters getting in the way of the most important targets. Taking out the most important monsters in the game and providing fan or holyfreeze aura, depending on the situation, helped with high lvls greatly.

So crowd control was mostly done by the rest of the party, or with HF aura. I really could solo cs in an 8 person game, although it would take a long time. I would just stand right next to diablo, he never killed me. My dex was around 200, life was about 900 without bo.

Such a paladin is only one-shot, and has no skill bonuses, no passives no DAE, he has to rely on just fan to do the job, and thats too hard in 1.10 with monster hitpoints between 50,000-100,000 in full cs hell games. Only a specialized crowd could overcome the high monster hitpoints: an enchantress or a necro with amp; even a concentration pally isnt enough anymore. Even the enchantress is limited in a cs run, most monsters are fire immune, the ranger could find glory only in the river or taking out OK's and pesky stormcasters. I guess this could be tested with my smiter, he has max fan and good HF. He might use an enchanted ravenclaw for the collateral expl dmg - because his dex is low, and dex would be needed for a gothic or rune bow. Maybe a double bow would work. His physical dmg would be lower without the 200 dex, largely offset with the ubiquitous conc aura these days, his AttRating would be sad, although this would be mostly shored up with the fan aura.

There are 4 big threads on the ranger build, ez to find with the advanced search option. I've never tried the holy shock ranger build.

17. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Don't forget the old days of Crushplosive Rangers- it used to be that crushing blow was carried by the explosions of Raven Claw, which made for a wonderful build of Holy Fire + Raven Claw + Goblin Toes. Those days are gone, though...

18. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

that build with a prepatch rclaw sounds fun as all get out :D