Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Immortal merc...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jason Maher, May 25, 2008.

1. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Immortal merc...

I have no idea why or how, but one of my characters' mercs just turned immortal. I lead him (Act 2 Defiance merc) into the middle of a large packs of skeles, zombies, and unravellers, and noticed that he didn't follow me when I retreated out of the room. I also noticed his life bar healed fully and then didn't go down again. Wondering why a moron in the middle of a large pack of monsters wouldn't lose any life, I went back into the room to find him glued to the spot, green, doing nothing, being ignored by monsters, and quite capable of being walked through. I cast a TP to unstick him, noticed that Fara didn't heal the poison, and went back through the TP. The poison wore off after a while, but the life bar stayed full no matter how many hits he took, and this time he was hitting back.

I call that the most useful moron ever. :laugh:

2. RssDiablo

RssDiablo IncGamers Member

Re: Immortal merc...

put it him to the ultimate test, see if your merc can tank all three ancients simultaneously.

3. Mungo

Mungo IncGamers Member

I have also had my merc 'freeze' up in game several times, he just stands doing nothing being ignored by monsters, a TP does get him working again but he has never become 'immortal' for me:cry:
    I guess this is a bug in the game but interested to see what more seasoned players have to say.

4. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

I've had a phantom merc too. He "died" off-screen but his ghost remained doing nothing. However he never survived a trip to town, he disappeared for good.

When the "Ignore Merc" bug activates, monsters will walk around the merc, trying to attack you or other minions. They bounce off him like he's a harmless obstacle, ignoring his attacks. If the merc happens to be plugging up a doorway, the monsters will stand there hopelessly, unable to move towards you, lining up for easy slaughter. Thus he's immune to all melee attacks. However, if a ranged attacker is firing at you, and the merc gets in the way, he can be hurt by that. That's been my experience anyway. Ignored mercs will stay that way until a new game is created, even if you portal back and forth.

5. bassano

bassano IncGamers Member

try minions of destruction on p8 settings decrepify is nice way to losing some life :grin:
    hell ancients on p8 kill him too I think

6. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

No one is saying the ultimate test is OK infested area's?:shocked:

7. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

More weirdness: playing another character, I had Cain's TP stay put, and I could use it to go back and forth between Tristram and the Rogues Camp. Not particularly useful, but I've never seen it happen before.

8. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I actually tried that for the first time ever with my last character and it worked, although it was only good for a one-way trip.

9. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I try every time, but I've only made it through Cains portal twice in my Diablo 2 career. I've never actually tried to go back through it into Tristram though.

The weirded thing I've ever had my merc do is become invisible, but that seems quite common.

-hps