Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

imbuing

Discussion in 'Classic' started by MalcolmSex, Sep 23, 2006.

1. MalcolmSex

MalcolmSex IncGamers Member

imbuing

hey when i imbue a item with a +skiller on it will it stay like that once imubued?

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

When you imbue an item, it has to be a item with a white name.
    When there is a +skill on it, it will most likely be considered a magic item, magic items have blue names.
    Bezerkers Axe for example is a weapon of the type axe, which has +2 barbarian skills on it. It's name will be blue. You cannot convience Charsie to imbue it.
    Supposing you could get her to imbue it, any and all modifiers of the item would be erased before new item modifiers are 'rolled'.
    This means that a Cracked Sash has exactly the same chance of being turned into a godly sash as a normal sash.

Our good forum collegue Zodijakyl has written extensively on the subject. It is linked in the fifth sticky under the header of 'usefull information'.
    It's a very good read and should answer any questions you have. I admit the name of the link is too cryptic, but the information therein is well worth decoding the link :
    Zodijackyl's Guide To Imbuing : http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=407854

3. MalcolmSex

MalcolmSex IncGamers Member

it's a white scepter and skills arent mentioned in zod's guide

4. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

It always gets reset. This happens with all kinds of weapons/armor. Say you have a superior armor with +15% ED, it will not have that extra 15% ED after being imbued. I assume the same goes for skills on weapons such as scepters or wands. So basically, no, the skills won't stay.

5. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

Got most upset when i found a +3 bh (and a couple of other skills) white scepter and imbued it to try and get the +2 paladin skill mod and some other nice mods to only find that it rerolls the skills :( when it is imbued.

6. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

As pointed about above, unfortunately the "staffmods" are rerolled when imbuing. You could start with a wonderful +3 Blessed Hammer +3 Concentration +3 Redemption scepter and after imbuing have something with no staffmods at all, or be something like +1 Sacrifice +1 Warmth. There is an explantion of staffmod generation in one of the Statistics Forum FAQs but it is oriented to LoD. Probably a lot of what is said there applies to Classic but I don't know how much. The examples there involve assassin claws but the mechanics are the same for all staffmods.

Getting a good rare scepter/wand/staff is difficult, as imbuing often leads to useless or no staffmods and not many rare wands/staves/scepters drop. The most reliable source of good to great scepters are the shops, which sell only blue (magic) scepters. Conceivably, you could get a +2 Pally +3 BH +3 Conc scepter with 10% FCR magic scepter, though it would take a great deal of patience shopping. My best magic scepter is something like +2 Pally +3 BH with FCR but no +Concentration, and unfortunately it is a divine scepter so it takes more strength to hold. In earlier patches, 20% FCR was available on scepters but those days are gone.

Another possibility for getting a good rare scepter is to use the PSkull rerolling recipe with a very high level character. That again requires some luck to get something good, but is probably a good use of skulls. Scepters, staves and wands are not available from gambling, so that is unfortunate as that could be a good way of getting some good rare ones.