Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

imbueing Question

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by manji, Mar 16, 2005.

1. manji

manji Diabloii.Net Member

imbueing Question

I cant seem to understand how the whole imbueing thing works. I have brought back the hammer to the blacksmith, and she says as a reward she will imbue one of my weapons with magical powers....but all that I see is a dialog-box with an anvil on it, with an "imbue" button on it. When I press the button, nothing happens...if I try to drag a weapon to the anvil, it won't stay.

I'm sure its something thats embaressingly simple ....but hell, I just dont know what to do! :eek:

..any help would be appreciated :)

BTW: I'm playing the expansion pack ....if that means anything :eek:

2. BlahBlahAsia

BlahBlahAsia Diabloii.Net Member

Are you putting a non magical item in the box? If not there lies your problem. You can't imbue set (green)/magic (blue)/eth (grey)items, they have to be white.

What i want to know is does she give better properties to low items, ie would a cracked helm get better properties then say a normal helm.

Cheers from Down Under

3. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

u have to put a normal (white) item in it.

i think cracked, or crude items will work but im not sure if there will be a difference between those and regular items.

4. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

No, cracked/regular/superior status doesn´t matter. Ethereal items stay ethereal, though.

5. manji

manji Diabloii.Net Member

:thumbsup: thanx for your responses guys.

I guess I was just putting in the wrong kind of item as was suggested. I was putting in weapons to have embued and she was rejecting those. I didnt thing the weapons I selected were green blue or grey... (perhaps I dont fully know what all the properties of my all inventory are though I'm still prewtty new to this game...:confused: )

She did imbue some armour that I had however :clap:

6. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver Diabloii.Net Member

In addition, some items that have names with white (or ethereal grey) text also have some blue magic properties when you look at them in your inventory. These items will Imbue, but if any blue properties exist, they are lost in the Imbue process (unless the same magic property happens to get rerolled).

Any equipment item, even weapons, whose name is in white (or ethereal grey) text when the item is on the ground should Imbue for you.

Personally I think of the Imbue quests (norm, nm, hell) as having gambling rewards where you are guaranteed to get a rare item. The comparison is that since rares can have completely random mods, the chances of Imbuing something useful for your character are probably very close to the same as the odds of gambling similar things that are useful to your character.

The original Strategy Guide for D2 said that Imbuing uncommonly Imbued items like gloves or belts would generate better improvement in the resulting items compared to Imbuing commonly Imbued items like weapons and armor. Myself, I end up selling off an Imbued item right away most of the time, or finding something better shortly after starting to wear the Imbued item.

7. teksyn

teksyn Diabloii.Net Member

A little help for you in the different types of items and their colors (the item name will have a color, or when the item drops, it is this color)

These can be imbued:
    White - normal everyday items
    Grey - Ethereal(has better defense, attack power, cannot be repaired) or Socketable(put gems and jewels in the sockets)

These cannot:
    Blue - Magical, can have any prefixes and suffixes
    Yellow - Rare items, Charsi imbues these from Normal items, have more prefixes an suffixes
    Green - Set items, combine other items of the same set to get extra bonuses
    Light Gold - Unique items, extra special items that have usually good mods and are sought after by everyone. :)

Usually I would imbue armor. The only reason you need this is to get decent armor early on before you start amassing lots of other stuff. Once this happens you will entirely forget about this quest.

You can read more about items in the main site.
    http://www.diabloii.net/items/items_main.shtml

Good luck!

8. ZugZugII

ZugZugII Diabloii.Net Member

I like to wait myself...

It all depends I imbue a real nice item I find in Act III like a Superior Weapon with a nice bonus thats not magical. Then take it all the way back to get Imbued. Just for fun I use that to kill Diablo in Normal- be it real nice armor or in my case a weapon. The bonuses are tied to your level and frankly I never have trouble finding good armor just laying around to wear thats great. :clap: