Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Imagine this...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dawnmaster, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Imagine this...

Blizzard won't start a new ladder, neither a new patch, neither a Diablo3 and neither another expansionpack. (this is the imagination part, most of it atleast, now for the cold reality...)

They won't support the servers forever too. What will happen to these forums? Will they still be supported, will peeps still post here, will you guys stay in touch on msn/icq/mirc/...?

I'm espescially curious if a lot of people (that live too far away to ever meet in real life) will keep in touch if Diablo2 gives his final breath? (when the servers get closed and that's it, no more)

What would you do?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

It wont concern us single player people, we will play until the end of time, or D3, whichever comes first.
    Anyway, i talk to quite alot of people on these forums over MSN, and i dont think this place will shut down, even if the bnet servers do. It will just progress into a SP / help forum where we will grow old and moan about the good old days.

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I would stay here, if nothing else, just to talk.
    I would keep playing. Nostalgic goddamnit ;)
    I would sure stay on msn/irc, since I use them for more than one purpose!
    Summary: Nothing changes
    :clap:

4. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

To be honest, if diablo 2 dies (server side, that is), meaning battlenet games become unavailable, I'll buy either WoW or GW.
    I've had enough Single Player d2 long time ago.
    I personally don't keep in touch with anyone here in the forums (yet, at least) or online in general except some closest friends who I know IRL.

5. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Blizzard would be really exceedingly stupid not to release D3, it would be such a huge success for its name alone.

6. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

i personally think, if they close down serverside for diablo 2... that they might end up releasing information on how someone can manage their own big DII server... or someone will hack their game and make their own server coding and manage their own ladders, and add their own tiems. There are enough hardcore DII people out there that would do it and could do it.

i think if blizzard will stop DII on battlenet, they'll most likely sell the secrets to another company and instruct them how to offer their own patches, resets, finnally bring in that one joke monster, and more. it would be a way to keep basic game sales (maybe), while making a final big profit from selling the server information stuff.

Personally, i think if someone does get the server stuff, they'd would most likely do a small monthly fee per account ($1-3 per account per month)... otherwise too many bots/accounts will be around and they'd lose money.

Blizzard i think keeps their service free because they still make money off the game itself, while if they sell the serverside or things, the new company wont be making a profit.

i personally will most likely move to guildwars or something... not sure yet.

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 still sells at stores. I don't think they're going to can it until that stops. On the other hand they'd have to be pretty dumb to wait a decade to release a true Starcraft sequel, but it looks like that's the way it's going to be.

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

I've been playing this game online since its release in 7/2000, with many short and long pauses in between. I'll probably stay with the game until Diablo 3 comes out or I quit my gaming "career" altogether (after all, I'm 24 y. old now, and D3 if it comes will probably show up in 3-4 years). Not sure what alternatives cyber life and real life will bring, so we'll see :D.

9. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

I've been around here for awhile now, but aside from trades and things of that nature, I've had little involvement, either in game or other aspects of life with my fellow forum members. If everything came to a grinding hault, little would change in my life. I might go back to single player, i might not. If Starcraft was still up and running, I might switch over to that, I've just recently started playing it as well. It'd be sad, but I'm sure it'll happen some day, and at some point I'll have to grow up too.

~Bails

10. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

Well, there already is software around to create your own "battlenet" (for some years now). There are people running such servers out there in the internet. The problem is that blizzard has sued the guys who are programming the software under the DMCA, so it will *probably* (the lawsuit is still running) become illegal in the US. But at least in europe the software will stay legal, and I would use it if there was no battle.net to play multiplayer.

*stkrause

11. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I play SP so I wouldn't be bothered if the BNet service shut down.

As for these forums, I've been lurking/posting here for nearly as long as the site has existed. I'd be bummed out if the boards went poof - this is the only site on all of the intraweb that I visit on a daily basis. Even if I'm taking a break from playing, I still come here to check out the OTF and help with questions and advice whenever I can.

I keep in touch with a few peeps here via email and IM - but only if I've actually played with them a lot in the past. I like my anonymity so I'm not overly eager to communicate with members outside this board.

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

wouldn't bother me

13. prawncracker

prawncracker IncGamers Member

It's not the end of the world, is it? ;)
    Actually, it might work out better for some of us - as we'll have more time to do other things

14. xberto

xberto IncGamers Member

i will move on with my life

15. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Servers close? There are still b.net servers for diablo 1 running to this day.