Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm Stuck

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by XavierMuskie, Mar 22, 2004.

1. XavierMuskie

XavierMuskie Banned

I'm Stuck

Well, I'm now at the point at which I always seem to get to in D2. Having never really had any really good items, I wanted to finally delve into the world of MF. I first created a fishymancer, and got him to Level 84 and A4 in hell. Not wanting to yet tackle big D, I decided to run Meph and Pits for a while. The only problem... since I've never MF'ed before, I have no items with which to MF with (catch-22 anyone??). Also, if I use a couple P-Topaz socketed items, it takes me like 30 minutes to run either pits or Meph (longer if pits has those damn Dark Archers, the Unique ones own me and my posse). So I figure, maybe I'll try to get a character more suited for MF'ing. Next up I build a Hammerdin, and wouldn't you know it, I get to the exact same place and find myself in the exact same situation!!! How do you get over the hump so to speak?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely willing to start a new character.

Thanks

2. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

What players (ex - players 8) setting are you on? If it's a high one, then try turning it down.

3. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

with either a fishymancer or a hammerdin, you should be able to handle meph pretty quickly... definitely much faster than 30min. a few suggestions to start off (and no offense if these seem basic, just want to cover all the bases):
    1) for beggining MFing, stick with Meph. the pits can drop exceptionally well, but the odds are horribly low. also, right now Meph can drop all the "best" MF items except for Tal's armor.
    2) make sure you are running meph at no greater than /players 3. this virtually eliminates his chance to roll a 'no-drop.' any higher than that and you are wasting time.
    3) get a good map! this can make every difference when running meph especially. you can re-roll maps by starting a game in nightmare difficulty, then returning to hell. a "good" map is one with the stairs to level 3 right near the waypoint.
    4) get an ammy with teleport! this can save you tons of time because you don't have to run around the moat. personally, once i've got a good map, i don't kill any monsters but meph on my runs... just run to the stairs, past Bremm and company, then teleport/leap across the moat, and open a can on Meph.

if you don't have an ammy with TP charges on it, someone might be along soon to offer you one *hint hint* i would, but i'm a bit short on items these days. otherwise, 3X ptopaz helm, 4X ptopaz armor, gamble or shop Anya (i find her to be best for boots) for some boots with MF on them, and then just go to town on Meph until you find that Harlequin Crest and Skullder's Ire.

there's really no need for you to start a new char. if you do though, sorcs are good because they TP without using any items. :D

4. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I agree with whomhead. Just a little extra for your characters.

Your skellymancer will be able to run any area in the game without too much problems, some faster than others obviously. I would stick to Hell Meph to begin with. He drops just about everything you need. Create your army, go to him through a good map. If you can't find an ammy just use a staff with teleportation charges on it on your switch/in your stash. Teleport right to meph and let your army do the work. To avoid dying/kill him faster try these tips. Cast Life Tap on him if your minions are dying. Use a Clay golem to slow him down. Give your merc something with crushing blow-or if you want to join the fray use CB yourself, this will really help kill him faster. If you can't survive without your current gear, have a 3P topaz helm and a 4P topaz armor in your stash. Also look through the available items to trade for in towns. I still use my Holy Greaves of Luck I found from Charsi. Take meph down to a sliver and then switch to it, and go back and deliver the final blows. I had two rare shakos drop from him when I forgot to do this--man was I upset--don't let it happen to you. Eventually you will get better gear. I still switch in and out of equiptment when MFing to boost my chances.

5. chase_encode

chase_encode IncGamers Member

I found that if you cast decrep and cast a clay golem, meph is in serious slow motion. Then let your merc and skellys pound on him. When he is close to death switch to some weapons with mf. As far as teleporting across the moat, that will drastically increase your run times. So beg/look for items with teleport charges.

Don't forget the poor mans mf gear:
    3 Per Topaz helm (72 mf)
    4 Per Topaz Armour (96 mf)
    Tancreds wierd (amulet) & tancreds hobnails (boots) (78 mf)
    Chance Guards (39 mf)
    2 nagel rings or rare rings with mf. (Varies)

Switch:
    Blade of ali baba (84 mf 1 per char lvl)

So in this setup you have 285 mf (wo rings) and 369 mf if you make the switch.

Note: If you get/find a teleport ammy switch this out with the Tancred amulet after you have your minions established in battle. Don't forget that if your merc gets the kill his/her mf will add to yours. I've found that I can stick a 4 topaz armour on mine, and he is still able to kill memph.

If you post your e-mail, I could donate a 39%mf chance and a clean blade of ali baba. I don't have any teleport ammys to give away.

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Good advice all. Nothing to add here :)

But, I do have a 1.09 teleport ammy that I can spare - just needs an upgrade. Leave your email addy & it's yours.

7. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

Great advice so far, I have one thing to add though. If you can't find a Teleport Amulet then shop at Ormus for a staff with Teleport charges, this is what I use. Simply put it on switch and away you go :)

Sam

8. chase_encode

chase_encode IncGamers Member

I think AlterEgo has that covered. Hope he checks this thread before it drops off the first page. ;)

9. XavierMuskie

XavierMuskie Banned

Thanks everyone. I completely forgot about using a weapon switch and switching my armor once i got to Meph, that should help quite a bit. I would love the items you offered, since I do not have a TP ammy, Ali Baba or Chance Guards. I'm sure this is exactly what I need.

My email is [email protected].

Thanks Again!!

10. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I'm at work right now, so will send the ammy afterward. I may even have a pair of Chance Guards :scratch: If I do, they're yours.

11. XavierMuskie

XavierMuskie Banned

BTW... Yesterday after reading the first couple of replies, I decided to look for some socketed stuff to put PTopaz's in (I have like 15 lol), but wouldn't you know it, I can't find any. Where's the best place to find some socketed gear??

Oh, and thanks a million AlterEgo, I hope some day I can return the favor somehow.

12. XavierMuskie

XavierMuskie Banned

I hate to sound pushy and rude, but I didn't receive the ammy yet Alter. Just wondering if you were still going to send it. Thanks.

13. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Check armor racks, those are the best for socketed items - you can run em pretty quickly in Kurast once you know where they are - though they tend to drop the same base items.