Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm So Hardcore

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by dontbelievethehype, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dontbelievethehype

dontbelievethehype IncGamers Member

I'm So Hardcore

For me Diablo 2 was all about playing HARDCORE, I'll be buying and playing D3 regardless, but I sure hope it will be back.

I havn't played Diablo 2 in ages, infact the last time I played was maybe 7 years ago on dial up. Most of my Hardcore deaths came from lag either caused by the server or my crappy isp (the rest due to lightning bosses), I'd love to play hardcore now with all the advances in internet technology. One of my crowning gaming achievments was making the Pally hardcore ladder, I sure hope I have the chance to regain that glory.

Any word on hardcore? Any thoughts?

2. skindog

skindog IncGamers Member

Re: I'm So Hardcore

I agree. Out of two summers spent playing D2 habitually, I spent maybe a total of 10 hours playing softcore, and that was only to unlock hardcore mode. I will be extremely disappointed if they leave it out!

That said, I just checked out the design fundamentals video to get the scoop on hardcore mode. Around 30 minutes in, someone asks about hardcore. Jay answers that a lot of people love hardcore, and although they haven't made a decision on it officially, he doesn't see why they wouldn't, and that they probably will.

http://www.incgamers.com/Videos/43/Diablo-3---Design-Fundamentals

3. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted IncGamers Member

Before or just after WoW launch I asked at worldofwar.net I believe if there is/gonna be a hardcore mode/server like in diablo. And the (official) answer was that hardcore mode feature belongs to Diablo universe. That's so true, and I really hope it will be available. I for one am kinda sick of trying to get just *mildly* better items in WoW. HC brings gaming to the whole new level because although you collect loot, you keep basically everything that is even remotely valuable because you never know when you have to start another character. It is also more satisfactory to play along people who have proven to know something about the game and you know they've made good decisions (i.e. try to get that item in the middle of a mob, or ALT + F4?) if they made their way to higher difficulties. 1 thing I absolutely hated about D2 SC was newbs rushing with low level characters, and dying like zergs, and rushing again. Contrary in HC such an attitude is admirable IMO, because you actually putting something on the gambling table. Also HC dueling will be fun. Even avoiding PKers is a good experience. HC forever!

4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Question: Would you guys want a change in hc? Like an alternate cinematic game ending as a reward or maybe even a few different items not found in sc? Or, would you want hc exactly the same as in d2?

For me, I think there should be something different besides the mindset of "just knowing you're good and haven't died". It seems all purely psychological. The rules of the game are exactly the same for both hc and sc, but I suppose the behaviour changes drastically because of the one big no-death-allowed rule. And of course, more vit for all builds. But I want something else. The title Gaurdian is meaningless. I want there to be a few hc only uniques so that when hc players are chit chatting, sc players won't understand all the jargin.

5. s4nder

s4nder IncGamers Member

I also only play hardcore, it's like a whole different mindset. I never looked back after having tried it. I also hope they'll add some more interesting twists to it in D3 like stillman said.

6. Hcorp

Hcorp IncGamers Member

I like HC how it is. I wouldn't complain if they decided to add to it, but I'd be satisfied if they kept it the exact same. The red name, different titles, and in-channel animation is good enough for me to declare "I play a harder game than you do". Which is what it's all about, really. I welcome a challenge. I hope the USEast Diabloii.net HC players continue on D3, it's a really nice community.

7. RattleHead

RattleHead IncGamers Member

Couldn't have said it better myself Hcorp. The early HC community was awesome, would love to see a return of that. Even the legit PKers were cool.

8. dontbelievethehype

Everything about hardcore back in the day was cool, the biggest cool factor being you never really had to wait in a que =).

And yes the community was great, I remember many of the people I played with. There really were not that many high level characters when hardcore first started, so you really got to know people. I'm already thinking about making a website and starting a Diablo 3 hardcore PVP clan.

I really, really, really hope that they bring back hardcore in all of it's glory.

As for things I'd like to see added to the game and it may already be there, is a guild ladder.

9. Manovan

Manovan IncGamers Member

I didn't get far beyond level 80 on HC unfortunately (when I played), but it didn't matter. HC made the game. And I had reasons to replay the game with new classes and new speccs. After a few years I only made offspecs and scrapped the mainstream specs fully. It's really fun to make a healadin or martyrdin and see if you can get it to the Nightmare/Hell Baal runs. Too bad I`ve lost my CD:s, I want to play the game again. I miss my old poisonmancers.

10. dontbelievethehype

I've also lost my cd's and paying 40 bucks for a very old game that was filled with hacks and dupes last time I checked isn't an appealing thought to me. I can't wait for D3, and playing D2 would be a good way to pass the time.

So until D2 cost 20 dollars like Starcraft, or they clean up the dupes/hacks, I'll just be trolling around these forums.

11. vanfanel

vanfanel IncGamers Member

Hardcore is the only way to play it imho. I haven't played it in years but I probably would still be playing it if not for the hacks/cheats/dupes that ruined all the fun.

I didn't mind pkers either. Hearing that hostile sound kept the heart pumping. After a few years the hacks started coming in and tppk and other similar scripting cheats ruined the fun. Not to mention soon everyone had enigma's, btod, zod's...etc I don't know how D2 is now but I doubt it's changed much. Here's hoping that D3 will change some of that or at least last a few years as well before going down the hacked road.

12. Padishar

Padishar IncGamers Member

Hardcore all the way here too.

Ik hope HC DOESNT get any gear that SC doesnt get because that will attract folks to HC who only do it for the gear and might spoil the fun for the real HC'rs

13. smartdot

smartdot IncGamers Member

i also think that HC shouldnt get gear or cinematics sc doesnt get for two reasons:

it would be rewarding to hc players, but for the mass majority of players, it would seem like a punishment for playing sc.

also, if you need tangible rewards for hard core, youre not hardcore at heart. hard core is saying, i risk everything to prove my skills, not for some random loot.

14. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi IncGamers Member

For $39.99 you can buy the pack containing: Diablo II, and the Expansion Pack, which is sort of like $20 for each cd :scratchchin: I love D2 so much I have probably bought it 2-3 times after losing/misplacing discs

and yea everytime I invest in a hc character, someone comes along and tppks me so I have mixed feelings on this subject atm

15. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Hardcore is the only way I can enjoy the game and I hope they include it in Diablo 3 .. Just nothing better than the finality of the Deeds screen and starting all over from scratch .. Im not an expert by any means but HC has made me a better player Id like to think ...

:thumbsup:

16. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Hard for me to believe we would have any sort of Diablo without HC mode.

17. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

well, we had DI... resurrection scrolls galore :D

18. damian00

damian00 IncGamers Member

HC is great. However, I'll probably be going softcore to start to see the whole game. I don't feel like losing 10 chars to each successive unknown spot that insta kills =(
    Plus seeing to the end of the game at first will be great.

19. dontbelievethehype

Well you have to play Softcore and beat the game befor you are allowed to venture into the Hardcore waters.

20. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

What if HC was a level after hell? So that all who passed hell could make a hardcore game and risk it all, gain a unique title and maybe have some uniques only drop in HC, like ladder only runewords nowadays?

Would mean many cries in chats when softcore guys like me took the chance and got killed, but I'd like it. But what about you hardcore guys, you are prolly too cool for us carebears I guess?