Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Im really liking the A1 merc over A2

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by GandalfTheGhey, Sep 1, 2006.

1. GandalfTheGhey

GandalfTheGhey IncGamers Member

Im really liking the A1 merc over A2

I am using an rouge merc with a faith bow ( perfect +2 / 15 great bow, rolled myself :).

I am liking her much better then an act 2 offensive merc.

First, she doesnt go running out and dying to IM or nasty bosses. I took her through most of hell including cows and she only died maybe twice, and this is at level 68 with no life leech, and still missing some of my gear.

Second, that finaticism is worth at least 2 auras, and you don't have to wait for it to activate.

For insight I just made an iron golem out of a crappy halberd insight I had lying around. Works pretty well, but I like using the clay golem more, so it may have to go.

The only problem is the bosses take a long time because of no crushing blow.

2. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Are you a Bonemancer? A1 merc is optimal for Bonemancer, but I guess you are Summoner from your descriptions here...

3. PuppMaster

PuppMaster IncGamers Member

i like A2 combat merc better than offensive, because of the healing aura, but i mean, which ever merc suits you better. what ever floats your boat man, good luck with it

4. Billweed

Billweed Banned

I have a lot of A1 mercs on old Chars

I used to love these for the +3 skills=lighting hose effect. I'm still upset they nerfed it as they could have cut back the lvl or something and kept it in the game the graphic was soooo cooool!
    rather than rebuilding I have just put on harmony or edge etc (sorry but I don't have any spare Faiths in non zon only bows) this works quite well as they do have a better AI for keeping back if your not Teleporting around.

5. valkor

valkor IncGamers Member

I've been known to run through normal with my origional A1 merc before, only to get an A2 might merc ASAP. This is with my summoners, at least. She does a great job of not dieing!

However, later on in the game I tend to notice that more meat between you and the Bad Guys = a very good thing. Every chunk helps, and the A1 merc just doesn't help with that.

Mind you, my strategy tends to be let the meat do the chopping and I sit back and do crowd control and/or smoke som- n/m :) Makes for a very pretty display when partied with a lit sorc or pally :) :)

But yeah, it's all up to you and what works best, I just prefer to have a meat shield.

6. GandalfTheGhey

GandalfTheGhey IncGamers Member

Oh yes, i forgot to add im a summoner

7. garion

garion IncGamers Member

act 1 and act 3 mercs are great...even for killing the melee bosses (if you're using bramble armor and amping/decrepin...the dmg returned is massive)...however when it comes to baal..the lack of massive dmg from an act 2 merc..and CB really hits you as it takes 3-5 mins killing baal...thats a loooong time for one monster....

8. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

Yay! I'm not the only one who likes using Act 1 Rogues! Heck I've still got my "quest" rogue. The 1.10 rune words have come out with some pretty impressive bows. Plus I never have to worry about IM / thorns or anything like that. With all the skellies running around, you don't always need the merc to tank. A few revived Urdars (or whatever they're called) and you're good for crushing blow. Some like to stack Auras like Edge + Bramble for that massive Thorns Aura. I like the fanatacism personally and it stacks with the HoW from the wisp ring.

good luck and good hunting!
    Kirah