Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Im playing Diablo 2 for the first time and Im not enjoying it... What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Drakov, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Drakov

Drakov IncGamers Member

Please, before anyone makes rude comments calling me a troll, you need to realize that no matter how uncommon an opinion is, that doesnt mean that its wrong. Just because millions of people like something doesnt mean that someone who doesnt like it is wrong or just being a hipster and disliking it because they want to be different.

Im playing Diablo 2 for the first time right now and im trying to like it but I dont... I LOOOOOOOVE the original Diablo and ive played the Diablo 3 demo and I like it but Im forcing myself through Diablo 2 and Im not enjoying it the way I have the original every time ive played it... My biggest problem with it is the setting and the graphics. Not the graphical quality, I love old 2D isometric games, I dont like the art style. The orignal was creepy as hell and really dark and dreary. I liked that the entire game was in Tristram. I love that little creepy town and I loved the gothic dungeons. The cathedral, the catacombs, the cave which is my least favorite, and then hell itself!

The graphics in diablo 2 are too clorful and its not creepy at all. I dont like the environments either. When I play fantasy RPGs I want a fantasy world that is a somewhat realistic depiction of medieval europe in terms of environment, but in diablo 2 youre in the desert and a rainforest and what not... I dont like these settings at all. Desert levels in every game bore me to tears and Im now in the rainforest which is much better than the desert, but still not great. Wheres the gothic setting of the original? The first act was ok, but most of the dungeons were in caves which I didnt like.

I also dont like a lot of the monsters. Zombies and skeletons and the goat men are all fine and cool, but most of the monsters are not to my liking. I hate all those dumb lightening bugs in the desert and now all im fighting in the rainforest is little pygmies that are literally making me laugh out loud with the way they look and their voices. I miss the unseens, and the overlords, and the winged demons in the first game.

Also, no penalty for dying other than losing money is really dumb in my opinion. It makes me not want to try when I reach challenging sections because theres no penalty for dying. I know theres a pema death mode but I cant select it yet and after seeing how ****ing insanely cheap Durial or whatever his name is the last boss in Act 2, I dont even see how its possible to beat the game in perma death mode. I died 10 or more times on that stupid ****ing thing! Id walk in hit him once get hit once and die... rinse and repeat...

I really REALLY want to like this game! I like the characters, the equipment, and the skills, and I like the randomness of it and the hack and slash gameplay, but I hate the environments, the lack of the strong horror atmosphere the first one had, and the mostly boring enemies... What am I missing? Is the game better the second time around? Or am I just letting the setting and lack of horror atmospher ruin the game for me? I really want to like it! But im at the beginning of act 3 and I really cant say that I do... If I manage to play through to the end I doubt I'll ever play it again if it doesnt get better the second time around or something.

Also, why is it that people who love Diablo 2 seem to hate Diablo 3? Ive played the demo and while its not as dark and horriffic as the original, I find it much more fun and the setting much more to my liking than diablo 2. I like all the undeads the risens, the wretched mothers, the grotesques much better than the enemies in diablo 2. And I love that I can play it on console as Im not much of a pc fan. I only play on PC when there is no other option or when I cant find a console version for sale, as was the case with diablo 1. So whats so bad about it? Also what are the later acts like in diablo 3? Does it remain in the creepy forests and gothic crypts like diablo 1, or do you go to the desert and the rainforest or other similar areas like in diablo 2? Is diablo 3 more like diablo 1 or 2? Or is it more of an original experience?

2. knightmarewraith

knightmarewraith IncGamers Member

D3 is disliked so much because it is seriously dumped down and there is almost no diversity and you can switch skills literally whenever you want meaning there's next to no reason to make multiple of the same character.
    Not to mention the story is complete and utter shit

Your fine with the bright colors of D3 but not D2? D3 looks like a unicorn got drunk and threw up on the screen it's the bright and colorful there is nothing dark about it

The most enjoyable thing about D2 is the potential randomness of the mobs, you can be smashing through everything with eyes half closed 1sec turn be running and screaming like a little girl because of a boss mob you ran into that is immune to your main damage and is super fast and strong
    On top of that there's plenty of diversity due to gear and the way you use skills
    You can have the exact same skills on 2 characters however they can play completely differently due to using the skills in a different sequence or you use a different skill in a group of synergies eg. For a PS assassin you Max FoF CoT BoI as synergies for PS and you just use PS or like me you can do the same thing but instead of using PS use FoF and BoI and the character will be completely different to play

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

3. Drakov

Drakov IncGamers Member

I havent noticed that Diablo 3 is more colorful than Diablo 2. I play on console and have my brightness set pretty dark and maybe that helps it. Or maybe its just act 1 that is to my liking. Ive only played the demo, I dont even know what comes after the skeleton king, maybe Ill hate the rest of the game, I guess I wont know until I play it. And I dont care about the story, I dont play RPGs for the story, especially dungeon crawlers. Dark Souls is my second favorite dungeon crawler, second to Diablo 1, and Dark Souls barely has a story. Lol

4. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I would say give it a chance through the end of normal at least. The second half of act 3 is much more dark and much of the rest of the game is as well.

Nobody likes the desert, terrible place indeed.

The game might just not be for you though, which is okay. I often wonder if I had never played d2 and I picked it up today if I would get in to it. And that's from someone who probably has 5k+ hours in the game.

You get penalized for deaths in cruel and merciless difficulties, if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  5. Drakov

Drakov IncGamers Member

I was playing a bit of it yesterday and found a spider lair and heard the music from diablo 1 and it kinda got me a bit more interested. Im actually about to sit down and play right now.

6. knightmarewraith

knightmarewraith IncGamers Member

Nor do I but to me D3 just completely and utterly destroys the little story that D1&2 built, even though I don't play for the story D3 story being poor just adds on top of everything else I dislike

The first part of D3 is dark yes but the rest becomes a fire works display especially when you start coming across more hero mobs (I used to play on PlayStation as well)

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

7. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

As kestegs mentioned the Nightmare and Hell difficulties punish you severely the higher in level you get by taking huge chunks of gold and xp from you character. I personally like Acts 1,4 and 5, because the desert and the jungle requires a ton of walking and takes forever to find all the necessary items to move on to the boss. I don't find it colorful but it is a bit brighter than D1, due to all the outdoors areas. I feel you'll really enjoy Act 4 and perhaps Act 5, it's defiantly my favorite Acts. The monsters definitely ramp up from the beginning of Act 4 and can startle the crap out of you when they come charging around a dark corner with several boss pack mods and they'll put a hurting on you if you're not paying attention. Keep pushing on and do some research on different builds you're trying to build so you'll stand a chance against bosses like Duriel. You should be at least level 20 to take him on by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk