Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm planning a Sorceress guide but...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Helpmeplease, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Helpmeplease

Helpmeplease IncGamers Member

I'm planning a Sorceress guide but...

Well, I want you guy's opinions on my build first. You see, I have searched the forum, but I haven't seen very many guides for Sorceress (only the two at the top of the forum). I was wondering if there are any other guides I could look at (to make sure I'm not re-writing a guide and for format).

I was also wondering if any of you guys had played/heard of a Sorceress build that uses the following three skills: Lightening, Nova, and Teleport.

The basic drift is you Teleport into a pack, Nova a couple of times (or enough to kill or severely weaken any monsters), and Teleport back out, heal, regenerate mana, etc. If you need to kill a few key monsters (bosses, super uniques, shamans etc.) than Lightening comes in handy. Once you have severely weakened the monsters, it's wacking time. With a staff or orb, it doesn't matter.

Well, what do you guys think? Have you heard of one before? Do you think it'll work (I've just started, and I'd like opinions and quotes!).

Thanks for you're cooperation.

2. heilskov

heilskov IncGamers Member

I dont know about teleporting posposly into a croupe of monsters, that sounds wack, but back in 1.09 for cow runs you´d se alot of nova users.
    Anyways they set of monsters speed, meaning its easy to get surrounded, and the monsters life are now twice as high, and nova just doesnt do it anymore, it dmg is to low.

Maybe a high lvl static + nova, get alot of faster casting, also max block is a must if u plan on letting urself get surrounded.

personaly I do max vit builds with the meterob build in here, and that seems to work on hell mehpis. I recammende u do one of them instead.

3. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Well Helme the above poster brings up alot of good points, however, I wouldn't reccomend you just give up and play some other build. I would love to see someone effectively work out the kinks of 1.10 nova.

I never played sorcs in 1.09 but kinda wished I would have now because Nova is a really cool skill and it's not as good now.

The High lvl static/Nova appraoach, also mentioned by heilskov, sounds like a good start. If Energy Sheild wasnt bugged you could invest there, for a defensive skill while mobbed. Since it currently doesn't take resists into account before subtracting damage I'd say, maybe, the cold armors could be put to good use in conjuction with nova. I don't know, I'll do some testing.

Do you have acceass to testing tools Helpme? Such as an off-line item bank, Atma, and char editor? If not I would reccomend you work to get them so you can better plan and test your build ideas.:)

G Luck

~Bb

4. Helpmeplease

Thanks for your responses. No, I don't have access to those tools because the computer that I have Diablo II on does not have Internet at the moment.

I must say that this build was designed to be challenging, as well as fun. You see, you aren't really supposed to let yourself get surroneded. You use Nova two or three times, and than beat the hell out of there with Teleport...it might take a while to kill big packs though.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Helmp

5. prion

prion IncGamers Member

your technique looks solid, but the problem is Nova itself.

According to Chippydip's skill calc, max Nova, Max LM, max Lightning, and +10 skills will get you 1100-1484 damage at a cost of 44 mana :eek:

Your lightning bolt damage is 13-7367 which isn't a problem, and at 22.5 mana I think you will find yourself using it much more often.

If you try this build, I would recommend an HF merc or a cold skill to slow down the monsters. I also recommend avoiding ESheild like the plague.

6. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

The forum was recently wiped, so all the guides are gone. The two you see have been reposted. More guides are definitely welcome.

No. Nova is very weak in 1.10, as it had no synergy boost and monsters have had a major hp boost. Lightning is a good skill, but you need to boost it both with mastery (which I assume you plan on maxing) and synergies. Any sorc should have Teleport.

It would perhaps be an idea to Static before Nova.
    Do you mean hit them as in melee? Why would you do that - even Nova will be much more effective than a non-Enchant sorc whacking with an orb!

Nova is extremely mana consuming, so you need more than a few points in energy. That means either no block or low vita, neither of which is a good idea for a sorc who plans on getting regularly crowded. What will you do with LIs? Or do you plan to play only in groups? In that case, your attacks will seem even weaker and the lack of block or vita be even more notable.

I think you need to work a little more on this build before you can take it through Hell.

Char editors are considered cheating on these boards. However, some test chars were downloadable from the site here - they're probably still there if you look a little around. You can download them to a floppy and take them home to test.

7. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

I tested my version of a 1.10 Nova sorc last night and, I must say, it's pretty good...with top end gear.

With less than top end stuff you will have to be a teleport expert and have a phatty fat merc at your side.

Basic skill breakdown

10-20 static
    20 nova
    20 light mast

10-20 freezing armor
    10-20 cold armor

1 to the reqs and 1 point wonders

My test char was clvl 85. It's a fun build with the right gear and you can choose a couple different focuses for your sorcs defense/offense.

For instance, I think it's cold armor that gets a decent defense bonus. Couple that with a defaince merc and get some good base defense with, possibly maxed blocking.

Or go with the armor that freezes enemies (I think it was 13 seconds synergized) and mayb still go ith defiance or maybe Holy freeze, for maximum cold while you static/nova/teleport away.

It's a fun build to play so far, strong but not humungously powerful.

For lightning immunes well, you can skip em, merc em or maybe have a lower resist wand on switch. If you can remove the immunity, I'm not sure yet, but I think static should knock the enemy to half life... :drink:

8. Helpmeplease

In light of recent comments, and a few test plays, I've decided to go with Charged Bolt instead of Nova. It's just that Nova has the capability to be such a cool skill...

Ah well, this should still be fun. Lightening Immunes are too be handled by a Mercenary, or just plain avoided.

You see, this build is meant for Single Play and FUN, not for the sole purpose of taking yet another character through hell, finding top-notch gear, etc.

Well, I'll get cracking, and I hope you guys enjoy my guide!
    Helmp

9. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Erm, we're talking single player here, right? Not Battle.net. I think there would not be many guides here if it weren't for editors, because it just takes too much time to get your char to a respectable level.

I know, any enhancements to the gameplay are considered cheating by Blizz, but only on Closed Battle.net. Why would they make an Open Battle.net if it weren't for those toys, and if it weren't for the possibility to test out builds.

10. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Lower resists at the level you can get as charges on a wand (slvl 3) will not break the immunity of a lot of monsters, and no, Static won't work on Lightning Immunes.
    Imho, to be really fun to solo with, a char should be able to kill the monsters coming her way. To stand around and wait for your merc to take 1/4 of the monsters you meet down, is everything but fun. Fire and Cold single tree builds can at least Static and TK their immunes. But to each his/her own - what do you think makes a build fun?
    Yes, single player editors are cheating, too. Try asking in the Single Player forum if they agree that you can do anything you want as long as it's not on bnet - I don't think they'll agree. Blizzard don't agree, too, even though they don't do anything to enforce it on open (which would be completely futile). And no, open bnet is not made for cheating. It's for people who made their chars in Single Player mode and want to play with others. I think all the guides here are based on people's experience actually playing through the game with the character. I know mine is - and I never had a char editor.

11. Helpmeplease

What I consider fun...anything that doesn't kill things too easily or does no work (Hammerdin, Skellimancer...no offense to people who like those builds). I only really find builds fun if they are at least a bit challenging. Some people might not like a challenge, and just want to kill easily and beat Hell Difficulty to brag to their friends, but that isn't my mode of thinking.

I do admit that the Lightening Immune monster's propose a problem. But, I don't see how 1/4 of the monsters I meet will be LI.

And as a last point, I agree with sasja's character editor opinions.

Anyway, what do you people think of replacing Nova with either Charged Bolt of Fire Bolt (maxed out of course). Actually, I think that I just found a solution.

Do you think this will work:
    Sorc-
    Fire Bolt-20
    Teleport-20
    Lightening-20
    Prerequisites-5 or 6, I can't remember at the moment)
    The rest of the skills go to anything you want.

The Sorceress Teleports around monsters, taking basic and Lightening Immune monsters out with Fire Bolt, and Fire Immune, Unique, Super Unique, or special (shamans etc.) monsters out with Lightening. The goal is to never, ever, ever get touched in hand to hand or by magic. Basically, never take damage once you have these skills. Well, you can take some damage, but not a lot.

Do you guys think that would be fun?

12. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

I was either unclear about my statement, you just misuderstood or both....not worth either of our time to explain further specifics concerning it...:uhhuh:

And of course editors are cheating, in the context and terms of the playing the game. But in the case of build planning and guide making char editors are mighty helpful and do not, in any way, harm actual gameplay the way I see it.

But whateva...Where he at?

~Bb