Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by gibsonSG, Sep 7, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what to do...

Right now I have an assassin at level 45 that has like 50 base strength and 50 base dex and like 130-odd unused stat points. I have one point into each of each skill on the right hand of the martial arts skill tab (each of the "dragon" skills), and one point into the things that lead up to fade and venom (which is like CM, WB, and BoS I think). The thing is...I'm really not sure what I want to build at this point. She's kind of serving as a mule right now, but I want to get back to building her up, as I've FINALLY gotten nearly everything I need equipment-wise for another character I was trying to build. I'm thinking of building something along the lines of C/C and PvP. I read a bunch of guides here, but I'm still kind of lost on what I want to do. I remember when I used to play PvP assassins and C/C-Trap hybrids were move viable because synergies didn't exist (therefore, you could max out "major" skills and not have to worry about having too few points due to synergy). I wonder what my options are to fit this criteria, and I hope I didn't "waste" too many points into strength or dexterity. Even with a torch and an anni I still don't think that I will have "wasted" too much...and besides - if i go C/C Kick/WW hybrid more STR and DEX will give me more damage, right?

Oh well, thanks in advance!!

2. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

You have not wasted any state points as 50 str and 50 dex is pretty minimal.

You need to decide what you want to build before proceeding though.

As you seem unsure of your self and the game I suggest that you do something simple like a trapsin.

These are simple to build, simple to play and lots of fun.

The vast majority of these guys use lightning sentry and death sentry as their main tools. You max lightning sentry and 1 point in death sentry.

You dont do melee with a trapsin so you dont need heavy armor. You need pretty good resists and blocking thought.

You really need to read a guide for more detailed description of a trapsin.

3. gibsonSG

Hence, the post hahahaha. But I was trying to steer away from going pure trap because in my mind, it plays too much like a caster - which I enjoy playing, but have several other caster style characters. As an assassin I kind of want to utilize their uniqueness with the claw type weapons and the kicking. I might go WW/Kick if a WW/Trap build won't work out. I would like ot have a build that maxes claw mastery because if I'm going C/C, I feel that the damage, critical strike, and AR bonuses are too hard to ignore - that is, going C/C and actually USING both claws for damage.

4. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

I am building a sin that uses c+c, trap and DT

I found that my previouse trapper was unable to deal with LI and
    my minions tended to go to sleep.

Dragon flight bring minions on top of bad guys and I can use DT
    effectively to deliver crush blow.

DT is fastest attack in game for crush blow.

Kull

5. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

yes more str and dex will give you moer dmg, but when dmg is calculated str is factured in twice, dex only once,
    added str gives more dmg than dex but dex gives more blocking and attack rating,
    on ur primary claw, it lets assume has a wsm of -30 and 0 ias, let us also asume that you choose BoS over fade and you have at least + 4 skills on prebuff, that combination would give you the fastest break point with out any IAS, meaning no worries there
    also in terms of wasting points in traps, a kicker uses ~25-30 skill points, with out maxing vemon etc, leaving alot of skills that can v. nicely dropped into some v. useful trap dmg,
    -silent

6. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Sorry to drop in, but I just need to correct a slight mistake Silent made in his post.

He said if you have a -30 WSM main claw that with level 5 BoS you wont need any IAS. I'd just like to point out that the WSM of the main claw isnt the only factor. You need to average the WSM of your 2 claws, so with a -20 base off hand claw for example, your overall base WSM would be -25, with only ias from the main hand claw counting.

It sounds like you don't have a very large budget, if this isn't the case then I do apologise. But if you can't some expensive items then making an effective hybrid is going to be rather difficult.

Maybe go for a plain trapper w/o Claw / Claw for a start as they are generally a bit cheaper.

Edit: Also 50/50 Base stats IS a waste for a PvP character...and could be quite a big waste indeed...
    Edit 2: Maxing Claw Mastery isn't very helpful, especially on a hybrid where points are tight as it is...

7. gibsonSG

I never understood the PvP philosophy too well in terms of EXTREMELY STRICT statpoint placement. The way I see it...if I'm doing 18k damage with an attack (maybe a caster attack) I'm not going to survive any better with 6k life than I am with 3k life or 1k life. I suppose I'm looking at it relatively simplistically though. Duels seem to be rather short and end within seconds and I think in those cases it's more the skill of the player than the build (when evenly matched equipment-wise) - or how "laggy" Bnet decides to be that night.

Oh well, I still want to make a hybrid of sorts. I'll probably be going WW/Kick then. I think "Amanda's" guide had a good layout but even for ME the statpoint layout seemed very high. Either kick damage REALLY depends a lot on Strength/Dexterity points, or she was having problems with her build. I read some of the comments and didn't quite figure out how effective a build it was. Any thoughts?

8. Frankeinstein

Frankeinstein IncGamers Member

Since this follows the footsteps of my near noskillersin (1 pt in Bos) which hand is the dominate hand for attacks? I have heard it mentioned but I'm not sure where I saw it.

Been too long away & still just trying to catch up.

BTW, any suggestions on what to change on my noskillasin? Wearing full Sigons right now. At lvl 43 it's starting to not be useful anymore.

9. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

The one on your glove-side is the primary hand. Also, I think that the dragon flight/dragon talon/traps combo isn't a bad one - using a spirit sword, vipermagi, some ias gloves, guillaime's face and let's say an upgraded (even if only once) pair of goblin toes, all very easy to acquire, you can deliver quite a large amount of crushing blow in short order, and your trap damage will be respectable. Not godly, but enough to handle hell patiently.

10. gibsonSG

...for a fire trap/WW hybrid what would be my approxamate skill/stat point expendatures? I haven't played assassins in quite some time but am still willing to try a hybrid build (if this doesn't work, I'd probably go WW/dtalon because I have 50 base strength and dexterity already) for PvP (potentially). Assassins are incredibly fun, but in my eyes the synergies have actually WEAKENED a hybrid unless you have like uber-godly gear for tweeking...

11. gibsonSG

I think I found the build I want to try. I know it's "expensive" but I can just hoard gear until I'm ready to try it - Speederlander's "PvP WW/Kick/Stun" assassin. I just hope I haven't screwed up stat placement with 50 base strength and 50 base dexterity. Even with a perfect anni and a perfect torch that brings me to 90 base strength and 90 base dexterity - which is good, but not too much for me because I'll probably be wearing an archon plate enigma when I can get another one. From what I gather, it doesn't look like a lot of "spare" points are available for this build, so you'd need a slightly higher base strength and dexterity numbers.

Thanks!!