Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm new to sp

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ChaosEternal, Mar 13, 2004.

1. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal IncGamers Member

I'm new to sp

Hello everyone!
    I am a long time D2 player who has recently decided to give up my b.net-ing ways and join the respectable community of SPers here. As of now i have a lvl 43 frozen orb/thunderstorm sorceress. If there are any little tid bits of info that every SPer must know please share them with me. I also have a small question, I know that there are rules against cheating and i know Atma is legal so.... I found out somewhere (diabloii.net i think) that if you add -seed ###### to the end of the d2 shortcut it specifies what automap seed to use. I found out that if you use that, it keeps your automap and what you've explored even if you change difficulties...*breathe*...so I'd like to know if you all would consider this cheating or not. Thank you all in advance! :bow:

2. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Welcome! :howdy: Please take the time to read the FAQs, there's a wealth of information, for both rookies and "professionals." Feel free to also post your favorite builds, and info about yourself!

Swing by the EMB and have an age appropriate drink on me!

3. Zertuals_Ovrlrd

Zertuals_Ovrlrd IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! the seed command is pretty controvercial around these parts. I'd suggest steering clear of it, just to be safe. It could limit people who will trade with you.

Z_O

4. ChaosEternal

dang

Dang, i was hoping that that would be in, just to make sure, even though you probably already know this, the seed function no longer gives you lots of monsters in 1.10, it just controls the map.

5. ChaosEternal

Another -seed thought

I was just reading through one of the FAQs, and it said that the -seed command can affect drops. If it's in the FAQ I assume that it's been proven, but it also said that using it to recover your automap after accidentally joining another difficulty is OK. Could someone explain to me how to do that?
    Thanks a bunch. :thumbsup:

6. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Here's how it works. Maps always affect drops, but not predictably.

If you use the -seed command and play the game with the command in effect, and you repeat the same proceedures (open stashes, boxes, etc. in the same order) you'll get the same exact drops.

However, what you can do, is set your map seed using the -seed command, and then exit diablo completely, and then restart it without the -seed command. This will give you random drops again, but with the map set to the particular seed.

Map seeds as a whole DO play a MINOR role in the base items that drop (whether or not a sacred armor will drop as oppposed to a war pike) - but its effect is quite minimal. However, the benefits that the -seed command provide for this are minimal at best - you never know what base items a map seed will sway towards until you play it. Therefore, finding a map seed which drops particular base items via using the -seed command or doing this via switching difficulties, the effects are similar. This is why using the -seed command to ONLY set your map seed is a legitimate way of playing (its as if the map itself spawned again).

On a last note, these forums have, for the most part, made using map seeds found on one character and using them on another character illegal. Therefore, you should steer clear of this behavior.

From what I've seen, there has been a concensus that it is ok to use the -seed command to ONLY set your map seed, providing you exit diablo and open it again without the command. Many people choose not to do this, whatsoever, but it is legal to do. However, playing the game with the -seed command on, or using map seeds on characters that haven't found them are both deemed illegal.

I hope this answers your -seed command questions. If you have anymore, feel free to ask.

Oh, as an edit, I would also steer clear of using map seeds from one difficulty in another difficulty. While this really has no effect on the game, its a bit iffy, as far as cheating goes, as it allows one to know where all the quest locations are for the next difficulty level and allows for faster movement through the game.

7. ChaosEternal

Thank you

Thanks a lot for your explaination it cleared up everything for me, it sounds like there must have been quite a bit of controversy over that at one point. This is sort of a random question but why would the -seed command spawn all those monsters in 1.09? Someone can answer if they feel like or call me a dunce for asking such a random question.

8. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

welcome to the forums :)

9. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Blizzard used it as a debug command to check stuff (like most of the disabled command line switches - they just forgot to take this one out). So they also had it spawn wall-to-wall monsters.

Welcome to the forum :)

10. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

welcome to the SPF :wave:
    and for the seed command it's explained in the formus threads from other members but I think, that you should stay out of those things like seed command, act command...etc those things will take the fun of the game firstly and secondly it's kind of cheating. The only use which could be ok for the seed command is to save your own map, when you decide to MP or change the difficulty, but as mentoined above many people will consider that cheating (including me). My Mfinder character has a good full map in hell, so I don't MP with him and I won't change difficulty unless I have found all what I want :uhhuh:. So that was my opinion and enjoy your stay here:)

11. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Welcome to the SPF! Hope your stay is long and profitable for your characters!

12. Cauthon

Cauthon IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! :wave: May the WF be with you...

I think you've already gotten better answers on what exactly the -seed command does, but the basic consensus around here is that you can use it to recover maps lost to changes in difficulty/MP games, but once that is done you should immediately remove it from the command line. Sharing of map seeds between characters and players is considered a no-no.

Of course, its your computer, so you can do what you want with it, but if you are using the -seed command beyond what's outlined above, make sure anyone you are trading with knows!

Enjoy your stay!

13. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hello! :wave:

Welcome to mad world of SP!

:)

14. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF and best of luck in SP play! :thumbsup:

-Pb

15. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF. This is a great place to be. You'll find some pretty strong opinions regarding cheats, or some of the gray areas surrounding cheats (such as map seed). If you're just open about what you're doing, you shouldn't have any problems here. Enjoy your stay.

16. PedPerBog

PedPerBog IncGamers Member

welcome to the SPF, have fun