Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

i'm new! dsl! hackers! arg!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by punsAREfun, Aug 30, 2006.

1. punsAREfun

punsAREfun IncGamers Member

i'm new! dsl! hackers! arg!

hey there. i'm new to this here forum, so i guess i'll introduce myself. i started playing d2 when it came out, stopped for awhile, started again when 1.09 LOD came out, stopped again, etc, etc. i started again when 1.11 came out.

i've always played SP except for a short time on bnet (on a friend's computer). i got dsl awhile ago and found out i can play my SP chars on bnet! well i tried to play a few times but i keep getting disconnected (does anybody else with dsl have this problem or is it just me?:grin: ). anyway, the few times i was actually in a game, i saw someone hacking every time. no doubt this is commonplace, but damn! a naked amazon with 50 different auras clearing WSK in 30 seconds in unusual for me.

i'm working on a concentrate axebarb (Cerebus), a blizz sorc for MF (frosty_theNoMan), a fireball templar (JerryLeeLewis), and a poison/summon necro (Pazuzu), all below lvl 30. i also have an avenger (Jeebus), a meteorb sorc (Sexytime), and a windbag druid (Bill_ORielly) past lvl 80.

as for my non-d2 playing habits - i like music, drinking beer, crappy movies (firecracker with Mike Patton comes to mind), guitar, puns, etc.

i'd like to party/trade with some of you sometime (if i can keep a stable connection). you know who you are. :wink2:

time for sleep :prop:

a fish runs into a wall. Dam!

2. brualness

brualness Banned

what i thenk u saw was a ama how was str buged and had faith dream and a cta no hack

3. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome!
    Enjoy your stay and be sure to read the stickies, drop by the emb etc. etc. blaha blaha, you will see that this forum is very addictive :D once oyu join you cannot be without it.

Just a note about mp/trading:
    Due to playing on open battle net and you seem sure that you played with hackers, you might have troubles finding people willing to mp/trade with you.
    Since these forums is very anti-hack/dupe (even though people who cheat are not banned, most players dont like it and wont play/mp with them)
    I am in no way intending you are cheating, but playing in games with cheaters might make you "tainted".
    This kind of issues are up to our thrusty moderators Hrus and Cattleya to solve :smiley:
    If they read you intro, they might contact you via a pm, so be sure to check you inbox, or you can just contact one of them yourself.

With that said, once again welcome to the warmth and comfort of the community :thumbsup:
    And watch out for the squid and dont mind deaddave's shinkicking, he's still a freshman kicker ;)
    Enjoy!

Edit: ZOMG y00 postad your intro at 13:37, y00 must be teh 1337 haxx0r omng pimp Dclone daddy.
    :hide:

4. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

hi and welcome, enjoy your stay and be nice to eus
    *kicks punsAREfuns shins*
    /runway

5. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

Hi, and welcome to the SPF (weroxxorsyourboxxorswereso1337)

Be sure to read the stickies, especially the SPF FAQ and stay away from open Bnet...

Also, come down to the etdlahq memorial bar for a free juvie for your shins, and to indulge in your non-d2 hobbies :p

We're having a cheesy movie fest right now.

6. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum.:wave: Sorry I wasn't here in time to protect your shins. The kicking usually isn't to bad though. You have already been told to read the stickies so I'll move right to telling you w_m will be along shortly to give you the patented goodie basket. Got to love those cookies.

Stop by the EMB some time and have beer on me.

7. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I'd stay away from Open Bnet from now on - cheating is utterly the norm there. If you want to play SP characters multiplayer without that crap, join a game in the MP thread here over TCP/IP.

8. punsAREfun

thx for the welcomes :thumbsup:

@brualness: the zon i saw appeared completely naked and didn't appear to use any attacks, she just walked by the enemies and they died. and i thought dream was ladder only? now that i think about it, i've seen posts about spirit on this forum....

@zarfen: thx for the tips. acktually, i wasn't playing with hackers on purpose, i went on open bnet to play with other SP maniacs and found insanity! also i read a thread about Chains of Strength, so i don't expect anyone to trade with me anytime soon.

I AM teh 1337 haxx0r omng pimp Dclone daddy! thx for noticing.

@deaddave: ow. my shins. *sucks air through clenched teeth* agghhhh... *sucks air through clenched teeth* agghhhh... *sucks air through clenched teeth* agghhhh... phew..

@somethingsin: i read the FAQ, etc.. i'll be strollin down to the MB shortly.

@fists of legend: thx! i love beer and cookies!

@jihadjesus: i went to the MP thread and i'm confused: what are RRM/RWM?

:wave:

9. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Right, I think some elaboration is in order. But first, welcome.

The SPF periodically becomes paralysed with the issue of 'taint'. Being tainted is when a SP (or MP) char (or items/stashes) comes into contact with an item or a char that is 'not legit'. Not legit items or chars are ones which have been created or altered via a third party mod (read: hack).

When a char, item or stash is discovered to have been tainted, the owner is compelled by the standards of this forum to enact damage control. That may include deletion of tainted items, deletion of items found when using tainted items, and in the worst case scenario, deletion of entire stashes and characters. Some even view experience gained in an unaccepted modded game as enough to taint a char.

In your case, you have ventured on to Open B.net. That is probably the worst thing you could ever do in terms of taint, for that place is infamous for all manner of hacks to the millionth degree. If you partied with a hacker, and the hacker killed monsters, you gained tainted experience. Which taints your character, and your items. Furthermore, any items found on Open B.net cannot be verified as legit. If those items made their way into your stashes, you risk tainting your stash. Obviously, no one in the SPTF will risk trading with items from that stash for fear of spreading taint.

I do not support some of these extreme measures in removing taint, especially when the player is inadvertently exposed to taint. I certainly do not advocate you deleting your chars and items through no fault of your own. But I do not set the rules here. Given the circumstances and your innocence in going on to Open B.net, and your lack of playing time therein, I see a strong case in maintaining your chars even for MP'ing, so long as any known tainted items are deleted.

As you have expressed a wish to trade and MP, you need to resolve this issue beforehand. I suggest that you get in contact with one of the moderators here, and explain as best you can what exactly happened with your chars on Open B.net. Like I said, I see no justification in the deletion of your chars, but only a mod has the authority to grant you leave to trade and MP.

Best of luck to you.

10. nex

nex IncGamers Member

Welcome to SPF!

It's even worse than that. You see, when you host game on open bnet (or TCP/IP) you can run some mod (RWM for example, but can also be drop mod) and that game will be moded. Even if someone joins with vanilla game he will play moded game (if you join with vanilla D2 to RWM hosted game you can make RWM runewords). Problem with open bnet is you have no idea what mod is person who started game using and how will that affect your character. That's why chars that were on open bnet aren't allowed to trade/MP here.

11. punsAREfun

ack! i had no idea the rules here were that strict. thx for the advice, i'll talk to a mod and plead my case.

12. nex

nex IncGamers Member

That's the best thing to do. In the meantime you can read SPTF rules, if you plan to trade you will need to know them anyway :cool: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=480580 (there's also section about open bnet chars & items).

13. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Welcome soldier :)

Always nice to see someone dropping by here, hope you may enjoy your stay a bit despite of this ruffled entry.

Although I promised myself to more or less keep out of this kind of stuff, hereby consider me to be more or less pregnant;) To have been on open Bnet like you just recounted should more or less ruin your entire stock of chars and whatever stashes you've got, and that's an awfull pity. I do think you ought to restart. If you'd like, I could help you out a bit with items you lost, if you'd be interested, drop me a PM.

On another note, I think forum attitude about legitness is becoming rather moderator centred. Give'm a break, they're putting in a horrendous amount of time as it is, just rely on yourselves -I meant of course: ourselves- for these matters :)

14. punsAREfun

thanks alotfor your welcome and offer. i'll let you know if i need help.

when the baby comes out, will you call him Big Pun?

15. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

I'm sure the GRO wouldn't mind a hypothetical baby with that name, the birthrates what they are overhere atm :p

16. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen your 'tar from someone here...

Just an observation.

Anyway, welcome.

--maxgerin

17. somethingsin

somethingsin IncGamers Member

yeah... I believe daveinthebasement used it, or at least, a version which showed a little more, for a while

18. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

welcome! here's your goodie basket of baked goods! Don't mind the shin kickers they mean well. I'm sorry about your charaters, it's awful when someone ruins it for every one else. RRM and RWM are the two mods accepted by the SPF. And you earn more cokies by telling us about yourself, like what you do when not playing D2 or general geographic location, that sort of thing. See you at the bar!

19. punsAREfun

@maxgerin:
    i found it on a website full of avatars awhile ago (before i figured out how to make my own). it's fone bone!

@water_moon:
    delicious baked goods! *crams assorted goods into face* tnnnks! grrrfllg akrnnt plrrbgjdo hsh! ack! *cough, swallow* ahhh. to elaborate on my existence: i live in arizona (soon to be texas), when not playing d2 i'm usually doing one of the things i mentioned in my first post, stuffing assorted food products into my mouth, eating and talkin/typing at the same time, destroying home appliances, riding in cars with maniacs, consorting with known hooligans, etc.
    have a Nimbus on me!

20. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

what's a nimbus? (other than a cloud o/c)

And here are your cookies as promised, you can always get more at the EMB so don't choke :wink3: