Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm Locked in an Epic Duel

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, May 23, 2005.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I'm Locked in an Epic Duel

Help me OTF, your my only hope.

I have been locked in an epic duel with my father to download FireFox to replace Internet Explorer. I have tried to explain that FireFox generally works better, locks up less, and has less script thus less bogging down of the cpu. But can one of you computer nuts give me some more specifics about why Internet Explorer is so much crappier than FireFox? By specifics I mean number comparisons.

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I believe Firefox is more secure. Don't people often make viruses or trojans that exploit certain parts of IE? So if you don't have IE, you don't have to worry, correct?

Besides, the tabbed browsing and the quick link buttons are awesome. You can open 5 sites in 5 different tabs with 5 clicks of the mouse.

3. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

My guess is that 90% of all window users use IE as their browser. That alone makes it a perfect target for spyware, trojans and viruses.

And Firefox is just a better browser IMO.

4. AeroJonesy

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Less viruses/malware/spyware etc can get through it.

Tabbed browsing is the best thing ever.

The quick search in the upper corner.

Extensions and themes.

Pop-up Blocking, this makes it worth it all by itself.

6. Nword

Nword Banned

I knew someone would pull that :)

I'd suspect higher than 90% for windows since the stats are for all platforms.

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

even though its safer, better and all that, I'd still want it to be more compatible. I still find pages that firefox cant handle :(

8. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

:lol:

Actually it wasnt even a guess. I just pulled it out of a hat, metaphorically speaking. Maybe I should go play the lottery or something.

Personally, I might add, if there are two ways of doing things and one involves MS and the other doesnt, I'll go with the second one in 9 cases out of 10 just out of sheer spite.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Take that up with Microsoft, IE doesn't render pages correctly so web designers do freaky things with code to make it look right in IE even though it isn't standards compliant. Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Konquerer are all standards compliant, but some pages show up funny because of IE's influence.

10. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Thats rude! Why are they doing that? Cant they just be simple in their coding just like everyone else, or are they obsessed with bluescreens and its succeedors?

11. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

I've had nothing but problems with the IE box model problem, DAMN THEM. Although I've actually given up now, I will just assume that anyone visiting my page uses a good browser.

Anyway, Firefox doesn't allow stuff to install itself through ActiveX, viruses can install themselves through that without you even knowing. Not in firefox though. Also, it's open source and cross platform, which is always good.

12. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I had "the talk" today with my father. About computers of course. I was attempting to explain in very lay terms what everything was that made FireFox so much better. He still didn't buy it. Retorting with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing." Even though I tried to explain IE is like a Honda where as FireFox is like a Mercedes. While they both work, the Mercedes is much nicer and runs alot smoother.

Which segwayed (it'd be nice if I knew how to spell) nicely into me talking about him financing my computer for college. Somehow I got him to agree to buying a questionable marginal computer by today's standards at roughly 1.1k, but he is going to give me a $400 yearly allowance to continually upgrade it, for the next 4 years. The first $400 being recieved after my 2nd semester.

I'll just be laughing when I get my computer, with regretable lower 'stats' (if you will) than this one, yet it performs better when using the internet.

13. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

you could just install FireFox on his comp but leave IE as the default browser......

14. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Show him that one screenshot of the IE computer loaded with spyware and added toolslots.

15. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

There is a zero tolerance policy on downloading things in my house. If I don't have express written consent that has been processed in very much the same way as Vogon paperwork.

16. Keldaris

I see, then i don't suggest trying my idea.

17. AeroJonesy

What about implied oral consent?

18. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

To be fair, if well kept and properly configured, IE is an adequate browser. While I am fond of FF's features, such as tabbed browsing, IE is certainly capable enough.

And to be frank, complaining about a failure to comply with standards won't change practical reality. When a particular instance owns something like 90%-plus of the market (or did at one time), however it implements things becomes the de facto standard. You can argue about it until you're blue in the face, but the fact remains that many webmasters choose to write their pages to appear properly in IE, simply because that is what the majority uses.

19. Keldaris

So if we stop trying to comply with IE's standards, maybe we can force more people to use other browsers, eventually IE will have to change to comply with the new majority.

20. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Good luck with that.

When Ma and Pa complain to AOL about web pages not looking properly, what exactly do you think will happen? New majority? Not in a long time. FF is popular, but it's not that strong.

Bootstrapping problem.