Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm geting sick of the eurovision song contest

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Johnny, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I'm geting sick of the eurovision song contest

It's not that I mind the comptetition so much as the before and after things I have to put up with.

8 months before the competition the media is swarmed with talk of what artists will be there. What they will sing. What to wear then after 8 months of "preperation" you have the whole thing which I take pride in not watching. Then there's another 2 months of talking about who won. Who lost and who looked fabulous. Then 2 months of rest for the sane minority (me) then it starts over again. Once a year is just too freaking often. Make it every 4 years or something. Or kill the whole thing entirely. The music is crap and only people over 40 watch it. Not because they like the music but to make a stand against modern music and everything that's decent entertainment out there.

Once Finland even boycoted the whole thing by sending Death metal rock band Lordi to the event. Hoping they would rock the whole event into a huge nuclear mushroom cloud. Killing everyone and everything associated with the event. But it all backfired and as the 40+ crowd got a taste of real music they panic called in and voted for Lordi causing them to win the whole thing. A disaster on all plains. Not only did this get Lordi tagged as a pop culture "Schlager band" which made their entire target group of fans shun them and stop buying their music but at the same time all the people that like schlager and voted for them would'nt buy their music anyway leaving them out in the cold. Finland utterly humiliated and defeated. Ready to submit to Swedish supremacy.

Where was I? Oh yes. Once a year is too often. Makes it seem pointless because by the time you forgot who lost last year then it's time to elect the artists again.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: I'm geting sick of the eurovision song contest

Well correct me if I'm wrong but the HUGE majority of people couldn't care less about the whole thing :)

I never even watched it : I think you arent part of the sane minority, but of the sane majority.

A proper time interval for it to occur would be once every century. That seems about right.

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Don't forget the fact that swedish media (I bet some other countries experience the same) really THINK we will win it all by sending some mainstream junk.
    What makes me most sick is the week before the finale when papers rate all songs, and we always end up in the top5. When the show is on, we usually end up bottom 10. Horray for stupidity.

I don't watch it, but it really annoys me when it takes up half the paper the day before and after.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

One thing I do remember is when we competed with This song. Even Swedens own population where hoping we would lose because it was just such a teribble idea for a song to compete with. That year Norway gave us a lower score than Turkey and Greace gave eachother and they have been in conflict what for? a hundred+ years?

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

So is this some sort of European music Olympics?

6. Mcwhopper

Yes.......

I'm actually ashamed we have such thing. It's really embaresing to look at.

edit : Im also embarrased that I dont know how to spell embarrasing

7. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

turn off your tv.

8. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

Since when has Lordi been death metal? Yes the post is drenched with sarcasm, but death metal is serious business :largeannoyed:.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Stay out of the thread.

10. Nazdakka

Nazdakka IncGamers Member

I think it's brilliant TV. Especially with a not-entirely sober Terry Wogan making fun of the acts.

I think most of Britian shares this attitude towards the whole thing... hence the sillyness of our recent entries.

11. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

More like paralympics..

12. Mcwhopper

I didnt dare say that :p Wish I had now.

13. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

It's not that i watch it regularly, but nice song (by saying nice song, i'm not saying that that song has to be from the genre i'm listening to, i'm more referring to it's quality, example: If you dislike classical music you can't say that Beethoven :censored: just because you don't like it) pop up from time to time.

It's frightening that amount of La la la songs is increasing from year to year, and what's maybe even worse, there are more and more 'unusual' contestants, so it's becoming more of a fashion contest. It's more important to have visual show than to have good music.

I don't like our singer (i'm not sure if it's male or female :laugh:) from the last year, Marija Serifovic, but i have to give her credit for singing. And that song was awesome, english translation is not correct, but the text (in serbian) + music = gj. IIRC, i think there's even a version in finnish (if that's how's called language spoken in Finland, if not © :grin:).

Oh, btw, it's not that i'm 'favorising' her just because she's from Serbia, it's because she won so i remembered the song, i can't honestly remember other, but my point was that you can hear some nice music from time to time there.

Btw:
    I think he's right. I hate big brother thing, so what? I don't understand huge majority of like every nation that has it for watching it, but if they like it, so be it. Usually 80-90% of the TV program is total crap, but usually 80-90% of people watch it. I can't remember when i last time watched TV other than some game or good movie.

14. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Sorry, but complaining that Eurovision is all about the fashion and the silliness rings a bit hollow to me. Granted, I was brought up on the stuff, and my country has always had a strange affinity with them (I remember a friend when I was just out of highschool that kept his 5 CD player on shuffle with ABBA's Greatest Hits right between Metallica and Black Sabbath... ), so I don't mind ABBA and they won Eurovision way back when. If you think Eurovision has 'turned' into a freakshow go and look at ABBA's winning performance, or any other act from the seventies - it's always been about the fashion and silliness. It's pure pop and I think any serious musicians know damned well that entering is likely to be professional suicide (unless, of course, they are 'serious' about pop music... ), even if they make a few Euros along the way.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's sort of like a karaoke festival that ends when they give a trophy to an Israeli cross-dresser.

16. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Someone sig this, please.

17. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Don't forget this song ended up placing third.
    Horray for Austria. Obviously music has nothing to do with the competition.

18. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Go Ireland!

19. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

I am sorry to inform you Johnny but when get 40+ you will also listen to Eurosong along with your chubby friends / neighbors / family. You will have a larger stomach (bold?) and you will think: “geez ….why did I listen to that metal crap when this is just awesome, to bad I missed all the fun in the past” :smiley:

20. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

It's an eastern europe circlejerk anyways.