Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm curious: Why are their so few Wolf Barbs

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Cdnexpat, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

I'm curious: Why are their so few Wolf Barbs

I play on ladder and love mine, I can use him for everything, though I hate taking him into the Chaos santuary. I can't think of an occasion where my Wolf Barb was in a game with another wolfie. Massive AR, huge life, party friendly why are they so rare?

2. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Because you're stuck attacking with a level 4 skill or something. The damage just isn't effective in upper hell areas. Just like Bearbarb with beast. Looks cool, but pathetic damage. But yes, for mid-level character, they're fun to play, especially if you mix beast with wolfhowl for lycanthropy bonus.

If you really like wolves just make a druid ww with a cta. You'll do more damage and still get decent life bonus.

3. emar

emar IncGamers Member

Many people aren't willing to take that step outside the cookie-cutter realm. Same reason you don't see many fire druids, summon druids, magezon, hydra/hybrids, healers, avengers, singers, melee assn (they attack without whirlwind...), etc.

People strive for an efficiency and think they reach it with their GG i pnwz al hamerdnin... The char is probably very viable built correctly, but it is outside that cookie cutter realm.

Shame really, there are alot of fun viable builds.

Glad you are enjoying your barb though!

4. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

I will admit it requires careful gear selection and some of the gear is expensive, but for the most part I haven't had problems doing enough damage. For example I always join hell "help ancients" games because they are so laughably easy to beat, I run nih and I often mf in the ancients tunnels in 8 player baal runs. I will admit that killing baal is painfully slow if i don't stack crushing blow though. You may be right though, I could see how people could get discouraged, especially if they mad poor choices for weapons etc. :grin: I do have a werewolf with a CTA as well.

5. mclarke

mclarke IncGamers Member

hmm in pvp they get pwned by charge palas sorcs singers (yes ive killed one) and everyone else apart from melee classes without smite (who also get pwned by my singer :p) and often dont win vs melee either so they arnt much use in pvp

In pvm reasons why not used:
    1. Expensive
    2. Requires a specific helm which not everybody has and many to lazy to get it
    3. a ***** to level up (until u can eventually use wolfhowl)
    4. damage isnt as high as most other chars and most people like damage
    5. most people dont care about insane life they just want to be able to survive and kill everything asap

I have a lvl 20 barb who will be my wolfbarb but i used him to bug rush my m8 and never used him since, a bit boring to level up for all you can use really is normal attack

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

wolfbarb is a very defensive build (even with godly charms + weapon like ethereal stormlash) which doesn't matter in softcore as killing speed is always more important

7. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

Wolfbarbs are really cool as are all experimental types of characters. You're just not going to see many of them because of many reasons. That's always good though because there's a satisfaction to being a minority. It's better to have one or two obscure builds to have fun with because fun > everything.