Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

I'm a noob, I need help with MF

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by diablonoobbowbarian, Jul 7, 2008.

1. diablonoobbowbarian

diablonoobbowbarian IncGamers Member

I'm a noob, I need help with MF

Ok, I am a complete noob. Right now I have a level 48 MF sorc based of the Tele MF/Winter orb guide on this site.

A really really cool dude recently gave me a spear for my act 2 defensive merc with a 4 rune runeword on it that makes it so whenever the Merc does damage, it regenerates my mana. It's called insight or something? Anyways it's really cool of the dude and I owe my diablo life to him. He also told me about rune words and gave me a website, arreat summit. He also MFed a really cool staff for me out of NM Andariel, it's unique and called like The Iron Jang Bong Staff, it adds +2 to all sorc skills and is pretty much the best item I ever had so far. I added a socket to it from that Act 5 quest and added in a Flawless Topaz because I expect I'm going to be using that staff for awhile. Oh yeah, anyways this hero dude also gave me like 10 topaz, some are perfect and also 2 flawless.

My question is, what should I do to get high MF? I currently have my socketed staff, and my 21% MF amulet, and that's it in terms of MF. I don't want to waste my Topazes, so I want to know what level of defense and armor rating I should find for socketed items to stick my Topaz into. I don't know what type of items I should be using to MF, besides from socketed things with topazes.

Also, I want to know, in NM mode what I should run for the best chance to get good MF items. I know fortuitous ring of fortune is good but I think that item is really rare and also expensive to trade for. I have nothing good. What are the best noobish items for me to use to MF in NM mode for awhile? Any tips in general for MF I would greatly appreciate. Should I also give my merc with the crazy spear MF items?

2. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

3. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

Re: I'm a noob, I need help with MF

also another pointer if it isnt mentioned in the guides:

1. If extra MF means sacrificing killing speed, don't, keep your killing speed
    2. Weapon switch for extra MF is also useful and helps to get extra mf without sacrificing killing speed

4. diablonoobbowbarian

diablonoobbowbarian IncGamers Member

I don't get why he says he lets his merc do all the killing.

He says he puts all of his gear on his character, but then he says "I know it's hard but let your merc do as much killing as possible" I don't get why.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Your %mf: X
    Your merc's %mf: Y

When your character kills a monster, the %mf that counts is the mf equipped on your character only.
    %Mf that counts: X

When your merc kills a monster, the %mf that counts is the mf equipped on your character + the mf equipped on your merc.
    %Mf that counts: X+Y

And since X+Y > X, kills made by your merc will result in even higher chance of finding magic items. :nod:
    Of course, if you don't have any %mf items on your merc, there's no reason for him to take the killing blow.

(unless you want the merc to level faster, of course. mercs get more exp when they kill monsters themselves than they get when you kill for them)

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

It's a bad advice, usually you kill monsters much faster on your own pace than if you have to wait for merc kills. Killing much more monsters in the same time -> better MF results over the same period of time.

BTW, Early magicfidning guide is really great for you. If you want to know everything about MF mechanics, check my MF guide (link in the sig).

7. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Agree with Hrus, speed > mf in general, I bet you can read that in most guides as well.
    Finding the balance between killing speed and mf is the key.
    Letting the merc (if he's loaded with even more mf) get the last hit on bosses might be an idea though.