IK set Charger/w Conviction

bigp399

Diabloii.Net Member
IK set Charger/w Conviction

It has been quite awhile since I've been on here. Anywho, I am just starting back playing, and I am always on the lookout for ways to play any character with a big 2 handed weapon, mauls being my favorite. I read SSoG's charging guide, and was inspired by his suggestion to use Conviction as a primary aura for a Charging Paladin. I was just playing around on single player using IK set, obviously not the whole thing, and I found that the substantial elemental damage from the IK maul really seemed to work wonders when combined with the lower resists from conviction, and since AR is really not an issue, that is one more stat I don't have to worry about. I used a Rockstopper in the helmet slot, and certainly a more expensive choice could also function nicely, especially something along the lines of a solid Vampiregaze or any of the usual high end things (i.e. Crown of Ages), or the always useful Guillame's, likely with an Um or resist jewel socketed in it. I used the obligatory Raven Frost as well as a rare 8% life leech ring for rings, and Highlord's for my amulet, and really I had no issues at all running around in Act 4. In a nutshell, my skills were 20 Charge, 20 Vigor, 20 Conviction and 20 Might, as well as prerecs, with remaining points put into zeal. The nice thing about using the IK set as well as conviction is that there is no issue at all with killing physical immunes, as the elemental damage is quite sufficient in dealing with them. I did however find myself using zeal fairly often when I was stuck in a cluster of enemies, but this wasn't too much trouble for me, as I was hitting and leaching on pretty much every swing of my weapon due to conviction's -91% enemy defense. Average charge damage was 5866, which of course doesn't take into account the big bonus damage against undead and demons, and is not to shabby in my opinion. Of course as usual running into iron maiden, etc. meant instant death. Really this build is the most fun when fighting in open spaces, allowing free and simple use of charge to butcher most things (especially undead) in 2-3 very quick hits. I was using zeal fairly often in the River of Flame, but this may be due to my inexperience with the finer points of charging more than anything else. Top end uniques and runewords could also make this work even better, perhaps using a few points in vengeance to sub for the elemental damage from IK maul. For fun's sake, the damage with an eth BOTD Thundermaul and conviction on was 13576, with max fanat making that figure about 3k higher. Pretty serious stuff. Anywho, and thoughts, suggestions, or anecdotes are welcome here, just thought I'd throw the usefulness of IK gear in this situation out there, though I know it's kind of derived from SSoG's excellent guide. Oh, and best thing about this setup is it's really pretty dang cheap to make a solid melee killing machine, not to mention the great damage. The only major downside here is the lack of defense (about 1900 for my Paladin), and a fairly hard time taking on packs of undead, unleachable skeleton archers. Comments Welcome.

deademon

Diabloii.Net Member
just to warn u from what i read...its not much 4 pvm....its more 4 pvp...charge that is...and i can see how u like all the stuff IK gives but...if u consider griswalds with all the open sockets...theres alot more u can do with that ontop of have a sheild...easier to max res and but some +max dam/+max% dam jwls in griswalds weapon....just a thought...

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
just to warn u from what i read...its not much 4 pvm....its more 4 pvp...charge that is...
You see, that's exactly the reason why I wrote the Charge guide. It's a phenominal PvM skill, it's just nobody uses it right and so they all think it stinks.

and i can see how u like all the stuff IK gives but...if u consider griswalds with all the open sockets...theres alot more u can do with that ontop of have a sheild...easier to max res and but some +max dam/+max% dam jwls in griswalds weapon....just a thought...
Well, the point of going with the IK Maul was for the huge elemental damage, which gets at least doubled thanks to Conviction. Griswold's is nice, but there's no way it can pack that much elemental damage (or physical damage, for that matter).

Anyway, big399, I've actually build an IK-Zealer before and loved it. It was very tough, especially in crowds, but a pretty fun experience still. I've never been that fond of the maul for Charging, because a little bit of physical damage will boost your killing speed more than a whole lot of elemental damage, thanks to the ridiculous ED%. With that said, I'm glad you're happy with your guy.

Another suggestion, if you want to try something REALLY off the wall... Make a Conviction Charger who runs a slvl 1 Charge (entirely unsynergized) with Gimmershreds. The leech is a ton lower, but it saves you 59 skill points (to spend however you see fit), and that tasty, tasty elemental damage means you're still killing in Hell (you just need longer charge chains). Oh, and since Gimmers are range-1 weapons, they're ridiculously easy to steer.