Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IK barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bradley_turner, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

IK barb

Well, I'm going to try and start playing diablo II again, WoW still owns my soul, but I'm trying really hard to break away... Anyways, since I just got the armor today, I really want to make a character that I've been dying to make since 1.10 came out... the IK barb. Now, my question is, should I go WW or Conc for mostly solo play? I'm leaning towards conc because I've never had a conc barb, but I've heard that they suck really bad, and if that's true, I'd rather make a WW barb, so my question is, what are the merits of each, and which would you reccomend making?

2. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

If you are interested in WW, check this post.

I'd recommend WW over Conc for that particular set, the lack of shield really changes things and the set has relatively low base defense. Although you would still rock the house either way, ConcBarb is a really strong build with good crowd control. Whoever said it was "weak" never tried it in Hell.

-GG

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

IK Concentrate barb could be a little boring comparing to WW, depending what is your play style.

But, concentrate is indeed one of very powerful skill in game. Who ever said concentrate is "weak" either never played D2 properly (eg. only play on b.net/haxxed too much), or played too much on b.net with too many perfect last wish/botD WW barb.

4. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I think they meant "weak" in the slang sense and not the literal sense. Maybe "weak" meant boring.

5. Zertuals_Ovrlrd

Zertuals_Ovrlrd IncGamers Member

Word up, G. ;) :lol:

Concentrate can be boring if it's not your style to hit things one at a time.

And what about Berzerk? Ive never had the full set, and am to lazy to look it up, so I'm not sure if the set suits it, but it is a very fun build.

Z_O

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

A whirling IK Barb is without question the strongest build I've played in 1.10. Far stronger than wind druid or skelemancer or meteorb sorc or hammerdin or any of those others for PvM. There isn't even an outside chance of him dying anywhere except for when Iron Maiden is cast on him, which is easily avoided (one point in Berserk for those occasions).

If you're looking to ease yourself back into the game, and already have the IK set, then a whirler is a great way to go.

7. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

It's true. Nothing can touch the whirlwinder. SOOOOOO much fun! OK's suck, plain and simple, but 1 point in bezerk and you'll have no more worries there. The only problem I really had with mine was fighting using only bezerk for extended periods of time due to lack of life leach. It's kinda frusterating flying through the game and then putting the breaks on and creeping through the WSK for fear of Iron Maiden. :( But in other areas of the game you'll pwn. :cool:

8. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

/signs ballot for WWer. They're as powerful as they come. Loads of fun too!

9. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I have tried both and WW is so much more fun. killing one small maggot at a time when 20 others are pounding you is so boring it's better to whirl through them

DX

10. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

11. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

My fights looked like that one always leaped into the middle and then start swinging, but you better do something about that Coldres so you dont get killed :)

DX

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I wouldnt have stopped to take a picture personally, but what do i know? I would do an IK myself, but what puts me off alot of builds is getting to the point where you can equip the build defining items. So set-using builds, wolfbarbs etc, i just lose interst before they get interesting.

13. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I got my IK barb to level 55 last night, finishing up Act II NM (levelling up my merc.) Not as much fun as I had hoped, but I'm expecting it'll get better. Never played a barb before - more of a ranged / caster guy. Normal was ridiculously easy, even more so than usual. The Maggot Lair was also easy, and actually fairly fun, apart from the mana burn itchies.

- Noodle

14. nobo

nobo IncGamers Member

i'm building an IK-barb too, and i decided to go for conc.

why?
    - style. almost all IK-barbs i've seen were whirlers.
    - because the whole set gives a huge def (especially great for conc).
    - because of safety. whirling through cs or wsk3 or throne is not safe.
    - a shield is not a must for a conc-barb, i think the speed will be high enough to put monsters in stun-lock, the huge def will be good vs other monsters. in addition the set offers dam reduce and high res. 1 pt in warcry will do the rest :cool:
    - the weapon range of the stone crusher is only 2, you could hit much more monsters with other weapons (range 5).

i'm not sure about the last point, i've also heard that the ww-dam is spread over all monsters hit...:confused:

15. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

I think that I'm going to go the WW route, thanks for your input guys, now, what other things would you recommend? I was planning on going Raven/??/highlords, or else raven/ang/ang which would you reccomend, and if the highlords way, what to put in the ?? spot? Also, how much AR worth of steel grand charms should I use? Like, I know the more AR you have, the better, but how much is enough before diminishing returns start to make it not worth it anymore?

Oh, and does anyone have a perfect mf IK helm? I only have one and it's like 33% or something, I mean, I know it doesnt matter like at all, but if I decide to put good things in the sockets, I'd like for the base helm to be as good as it can be, as I'm sure you guys can understand.

16. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

I'd say once you max mace mastery and wear rfrost/angel/angel you probably won't have any significant AR problems, even without AR from charms.

17. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I made my ik barb with concentrate with the synergies and all, and dropped 1 point in ww for fun. WW still kills faster than concentrate, go figure. :uhhuh:

18. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Mine wears Raven + Nagel + rare +2 Barb/MF/res amulet. The +skills on the amulet really aren't necessary (nor is the res, to be honest) but I had one so why not. A Teleport ammy could come in handy every now and then too.

Basically the build doesn't need anything else for survivability so since you are kinda strapped for MF elsewhere I socketed PTopazes and wore MF in the free spots.