Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IK Barb, ED% Jewels Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kevin William Cox, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kevin William Cox

Kevin William Cox IncGamers Member

IK Barb, ED% Jewels Question

Hi guys, finally built my IK Barb. I'm in Hell Act 5 at the moment, on players 8. Not too bad, a little slow, but not too bad. Due to the set, leech isn't a problem and 1 point in to Natural Resists and I got 75 all. I'm a little low on the damage side though, about 5000 on WW with Might merc. So, I have all these sockets in the set which I haven't used. I was thinking ED% Jewels. Now I don't have the nice 40% ones, but a few around the 36~39% range. My question is this, I thought I read somewhere that they only work in the weapon and not in the Helm or armor, is that true? I'd hate to waste them. Any help would be appreciated.

Kev

2. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Re: IK Barb, ED% Jewels Question

They should work in any of those sockets, not just weapon's.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

It's the jewels that have both %ED as well as +MIN and/or +MAX that won't work properly in helms/armors. Any plain %ED jewels will be fine. :)

4. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that they work differently on weapons and in armor. In armor slots they contribute to the 'off weapon ed' (along with stuff like strength and ed from skills / auras). In weapon slots they contribute to the 'weapon ed' which determines the damage of the weapon.

Total Damage = Weapon Base Damage * (1 + Weapon ED) * (1 + Off Weapon ED)

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

The effect is greater in the weapon than in the other peices, which doesn't mean they're wasted in the other. I personally would use Topazes in the armor and helm though. IK gets it's damage from elemental effects, not so much from physical damage. If I was to go the ED route, I'd go with lower ED rare jewels with nice other mods.

The "bug" that ED + max/min that people are refering to isn't as bad as all that. What happens is that normally, ED is applied to both max and min damage. If there's a +max or +min on the jewel, and you put the jewel in an item other than a weapon, the ED is only applied to the max or min on the jewel. That doesn't make them useless or harmful... it just lowers their effect a bit.

6. Kevin William Cox

Kevin William Cox IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone, I was sure there was something, just wasn't sure what. Which brings me to another question, like Shag said a lot of damage comes from elemental damage. With the freeze on a lot of things shatter. I got about 9 skill points just sitting there, and can't decide what to do. The only two options are Iron skin or Find Item, as I see it. But with the shatter effect rather stable on a lot of kills, FI seems like a waste, even though defense isn't going to help that much either. Though I'd like to Hork, I don't think I'm going to get much of a chance, so Iron Skin FTW?

Kev

P.S. I did use all ED% jewels, and got about 1200 more damage.:alright: