Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If you were going to do a SP GRAIL quest, what hero would you choose?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Disposition, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Disposition

Disposition IncGamers Member

Just wondering what you would choose. If you knew you had to farm Enigma and all other items to end up grinding long term MF stuff, what would you choose?

2. drmalawi

drmalawi IncGamers Member

Barb no doubt, he can run fast and have howl so LK will not be that bad.

Though AT sorc is almost as efficient, and she does not need to run LK for as long time as Barb (statistically)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. Jamie

Jamie IncGamers Member

Blizzy Sorc is the quickest to start finding things. A Blizz sorce with decent gear and an A2 might merc with decent gear, can farm literally anywhere in the game outside of maybe Countess, Pits and Shenk or Eldritch can be time consuming. But Baal, Diablo, Meph, Trav, LK, Andy, Ancient Tunnels and Pindle are all very viable, even on any player settings. Now I have made so many of them, so maybe I am just way better with that particular character, but she doesn't need any high runewords to be extremely effective. So this allows you to start farming areas very early. Hell, I found a Death's Fathom before I ever found a Shako during this current SP restart/run.

And although Blizzard holds up(make sure you have static), especially as you get better gear for you and your Might Merc, the nice thing is that once you farm the runes for Infinity and get a nice 4os Base, you can turn her into a Lightning Sorc if you want to. Or you can constantly go between the two, depending on where you want to farm. You don't have to worry about farming the Enigma, which allows you to go for Infinity quickly and to be able to get things like Eth Fortitude if you want for your Merc quickly.

I have always been a Sorc guy, particularly a Blizzard. I have made probably 40 or 50, compared to far less of other builds. Some people think Orb+Meteor or some hybrid is better when they don't have high end items yet, but I assure you that Blizzard is far stronger, more powerful and static+telekinesis+might merc takes care of the few cold immunes that impede progress. I made one every ladder for a long stretch of time and every SP restart I have done. They hold up as best until you get Infinity and can switch to Lightning.

Honorable mentions:
    1) Hammerdin kills fast and once you get Enigma, they can move around quick(although I haven't made one since right when they got nerfed, they used to be unstoppable)
    2) Barbarian for strength, speed and horking ability
    3) Zealdin. They might not be the fastest killer in the world, but they have very little risk of dying and kill pretty fast. I love mine.
    4) Javazon. They melt monsters that aren't Lightning Immune. Once you get Infinity and Enigma, they can really get some work done.

ioupainmax likes this.
  4. jonnyphive

jonnyphive IncGamers Member

I think it's basically between barb and sorc; sorc starts out faster but a pitzerker probably wins out in the long run. Unless efficiency isn't your main concern, in which case whatever you find most enjoyable is probably your best bet for success. It would be sorc for me, personally.

Jamie likes this.
  5. Yng

Yng IncGamers Member

Why choose? I have both and I’m using both to push grail towards completion (ever so slowly).

6. Disposition

Pit zerker lacks in a few areas long term though for grail doesn't he?

@Yng I will probably do both, start with a sorc. If I can get 1.14d to work with OSB I'll stream most of it. :)

7. jonnyphive

I was mostly just thinking in terms of sets/uniques... when considering runes, yeah, zerker definitely falls back toward the pack a little bit due to single target killing.

8. drmalawi

drmalawi IncGamers Member

What areas are you thinking about?

Runes: LK. Barb can run fast and have howl. Can do 30second runs on a good map

jonnyphive likes this.
  9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A pit zerker isn't meant to be versatile, that's why he's called like that.

As long as you don't have Enigma, no character can compete with a sorc with respect to time effectiveness. After that, other characters become interesting. A blizzard sorc can do Andarial, Mephisto, Tunnels, Pindleskin and LK with speed and ease and while wearing lots of cheap MF stuff that's crappy otherwise.

BTW, it's not just about speed, but also about how tedious it is. If a certain kind of MF is becoming boring after some time, then you will probably not do that much of it. I think you need more than a single character in order to make it fun. Otherwise it's more like chastizing yourself.

T72on1 and Phevo like this.
  10. Disposition

11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Too late apparantly. But I'd always do Blizz Sorc first. Once you have good gear for the Barb, you can back her up with a PitBarb, which should be more efficient at mf runs. But as others have said, we are talking about the very long run here. So next to efficiency it's incredibly important to enjoy the grind. If that means making more and / or other characters, definitely do that. Hammerdins deserve a mention in that case, as well as Trapsins and Necro.

Good luck !!

12. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

I'm a huge fan of Blizzard sorceresses and I have at least 4 of them built for specific targets:
    • Mephisto runner - lots of space in inventory as he drops lots of good stuff in one go, but no mercenary
    • AT runner - mercenary with good poison & lightning resist wielding Insight
    • Pindle runner - mercenary with DR and Reapers Toll
    • LK runner - max block sorceress

Having said that, I also really like a Frozen Orb Fire Ball sorceress with strong FO.

DiabloTwoinDC, sir_cyclops and Talman like this.
  13. Disposition

With a Grail though, is it account or one character? I thought Grail was 1 character?

14. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

You can self-impose to do it on one character. Generally speaking, it's across all your characters though.

ioupainmax likes this.
  15. Disposition

Touche, would you recommend Blizzard over FB/ORB @T72on1

16. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I'm a huge Blizzard fan. So I'd always go Blizzard over FO. Without a doubt it's more efficient in SP, compared to FO.

But it also depends on what you like, as I said before. If you enjoy FO more yourself, you could go for FO / FB or something similar as well.

17. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

FO is so much fun when you are questing and can be the speedy option.

18. Disposition

How would you level a blizzard sorc from fresh? Blizzard w/ 17CM and then either glacial or IB?

19. jonnyphive

@Disposition If you don't mind using a respec or two, my personal preference for questing a sorc is as follows:

Normal - fire w/ +3 fireball leaf staff (20 fireball/fire bolt, 1 fire mastery)
    NM - Frozen orb w/ spirit sword + rhyme shield (20 frozen orb/cold mastery, then level fireball/fire bolt)
    Hell - Orb-baller (the core build (20 each fireball, fire bolt, frozen orb, cold mastery, plus utility/1-pt wonders) is basically flushed out by the end of NM and thus is ready to go at the start of hell)

Then use third respec into pure bliz when you're ready to start running targets.

I'm a fan of that strategy because it gets you through questing very quickly, while orb still allows good target running in NM if you need to gear up at all.

20. Disposition

Forgot about the Orbitaller. Definitely the route I should probably go being completely un-geared. I still wouldn't mind @T72on1 opiniion. :D I'll be streaming again shortly for an hour ish.