Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If you had all the money in the world would you still do drugs? de

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, Apr 1, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

If you had all the money in the world would you still do drugs?

Of the many things I really feel sorry for in this world are those who could afford everything that money could buy and yet still do drugs. A dear friend of mine is one such person. He has enough dough to buy an entire block in midtown Manhattan if he wanted to and yet, with all that wealth he is addicted to drugs. He comes from a very "solid" family, great parents, has a girlfriend who is very attractive and sexy, has a masters degree, and yet hooked to dope.

I am trying to understand the logic here and I couldn't.

If I had my friend's money I would:
    1. Buy the 4 storey brownstone building where our apartment's at.
    2. Pay my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor for personal lessons -- he comes to my building in a private gym I will build for myself and close BJJ friends.
    3. Set up my own Zen Center in midtown manhattan, and give free meditation courses to anybody who's interested
    4. Ask my wife to help invest the wealth to make it earn money on its own.
    5. Buy everything that I consider "dream stuff" includes: dream car, dream bike, dream computer, dream robot (of course!)

Endless possibilities...I wouldn't know where to fit "dope" if I were in my friend's shoes.

Could anybody shed some light here if you have deep insight as to why rich people do drugs? (boredom isn't an acceptable answer...unless you can validate it.)

2. ShadyPhoenix

ShadyPhoenix IncGamers Member

A lot of wealthy kids end up turning to drugs simply because they can. They grow up with every conceivably comfort and grow bored of that, and turn to drugs as something exciting and dangerous to try. Of course, once they get tired of doing them, they've become addicted and can't stop.

Have you considered an intervention?

As for your original question, yes, I would. I'm a recreational drug user already, and since wealth would hardly change my lifestyle (it would simply enhance it) I don't see why I would stop.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Money is used for fun, once you have bought everything you can think of you will look for a new way to have fun. Drugs are an easy way to do this.

If he earned all this money(IE didn't inherit it) then the stress of his job may leave him looking for an outlet.

Honestly, by your logic the only people that should be doing drugs are poor people. People on this forum do drugs, do any of them really "need" to do it? No, they don't, they have enough money live comfortably.

So, I guess, the same reasons as everyone else.

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I don't do drugs now (well, aside from alcohol, caffeine, blah blah blah), but if I were extremely wealthy, I would probably experiment with a few. Hell, why not?

5. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

yay lets all get cancer and tombers (or however u spell that)

WEEEE

6. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

Being that I haven't, and don't plan to get involved in drugs, I can't add person experience, but I think alot of it is societal. It seems that the general movie star, super model type scene is full of rumors (be they true or not) of casual, if not excessive drug use being a common practice. I think the same question could be asked of the 80's-90's rock stars that ended up over dosing or falling apart. Many people, including several here on the forums I'd wager, see no problem with casual marijuana usage. Many argue that used responsibly it is less risky than cigarettes or alcohol, and that it has no recorded "direct" fatalities. The question comes to whether or not you follow this doctrine.

Personally, I don't have a problem with recreational drug use, as long as the only life the user is affecting be their own. Unfortunately there are few people that would be able to use and not adversly affect someone, so that causes a problem. I really think it becomes a philosophical question whos answer is dictated by the way you were brought up, religious affiliation, etc.

But I do agree, were I financially sound, I wouldn't be wasting money on things like illegal drugs. I think they are a waste of time for anyone, regardless of financial status.

~Bails

7. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

Being as i already smoke marijauna, an increase in wealth would only make it easier for me to support my habit. as it is i don't use it all that frequently cause i have to pay tuition, rent, utilities etc. having more money would only make me more financially stable allowing me to be more confortable with spending my money (wich right now is needed for food so no weed this week) on drugs.

My beleif is that the rich are the ones that should be doing drugs, not the poor people that have to steal to support their habits. unfortunately drugs like Meth are cheaper than pot, making it more likely that a peron without a decent income will use this highly dangerous drug. the rich can afford pot/cocain/opiates which are not SYNTHETIC,meaning man made NOt prcessed like cocain, and are less dangerous.

8. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Yes, I would still do drugs if I were really wealthy, but I would make sure to share those drugs with children and people in need, to really make a difference in the community.

9. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Rich or poor, black or white, male or female ... it makes little difference. Those who wish to do drugs will do so.

Many do it recreationally or experimentally. Others may do it to escape whatever uncomfortable situations they feel they are trapped in. Some have addictive personalities. Some may do it because of the cliques they run around in.

The reasons are as varied as any other group.

Being wealthy doesn't make you happy ... although one can at least pay their bills and live comfortably in their misery. :p

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Bah, I have daydreams about things I would do if I were rich all the time, and they never include drugs. I'd fill a swimming pool with jello, for instance, to solve the age-old debate of whether you would sink or not. I'd buy fill a room with furniture, vases, and paintings and destroy them. Drugs are just unimaginative.

11. ShadyPhoenix

ShadyPhoenix IncGamers Member

But who needs an imagination when you have drugs?

12. olie0923

olie0923 IncGamers Member

I would probably smoke pot on ocassion and maybe do some shrooms every now and then but that is about it. It would really be nothing more than I do now. I smoke pot once in a while (about twice a year) b/c I enjoy it and I haven't done shrooms in probably 3 years which kind of sucks. Shrooms are fun (to me anyway), I still wouldn't do it all of the time.

13. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

If you have everything you want, you will get bored fast. Without goals, it's hard not to get bored. I noticed the richer the person the more expensive drugs they use. (Most long island kids that i know really like coke, and it's very expensive. Even if i wanted to [which i don't], i wouldn't be able to support my coke habit for very long.)

If i was insanely rich and had everything i wanted, i would probably do the same as i do now just because i feel guilty everytime i do any drugs other than caffeine/alcohol unless i felt so bored that nothing else would fill the void in my life. No matter what, i wouldn't touch dope (heroin) with a 10-foot pole unless i had a terminal illness and had very little time left to live.

14. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

i am pretty certain that since i"ve smoked weed for 40+ years i will continue to do so. :D

as for any other drugs, no thanks be i rich or poor. :p

15. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

If I had all the money in the world, I'd be a wealthy gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl.

16. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Poor people have a drugproblem.

Rich people do not have a drugproblem, they can afford it.

17. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

if i had more money, i would do more. more money = more drugs.

18. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Nope. I have enough problems keeping control over myself while I'm sober and drug-free, why would I need more head-aches? Plus I prefer natural high, my girlfriend, my friends and my accomplishments are enough to keep me happy.

edit:
    Btw, I can easily afford any drug but I hate taking medicines so drugs are even worse in my book.

19. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I do not do do drugs now and never had so I see no reason why I would start, money or other.