Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If you can't trust the Police ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dark Matter, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

If you can't trust the Police ...

Two ON DUTY Police officers in Surrey have been charged with raping a 23 year old woman!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3467599.stm

I really don't know what's going on. Ra pe is bad enough but for two police officers to do this whilst on duty is beyond the pale.

I know they aren't guilty until convicted, but I don't think the CPS (Crown Prosecution Serice) would have proceeded if they didn't think they had a strong case. Too many cases have been thrown out recently and I am confident that they (the CPS) must believe they have damn convincing case.

DM

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

More proof this world is going to hell

3. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

This isn´t as uncommon as people like to believe. Well... maybe outright **** is pretty uncommon but a few years back I remmember reading a couple of articles about cops blackmailing prostitutes into giving them free sex and shutting up about it.

Borderline **** by cops will occur in every country where prostitution is criminalized.
    Pig gets the opportunity every day when assorting with scum. Pig can´t resist the temptation, goes for it.
    Of course, it´s a dirty little minority in that community, but I think it´s a mistake to think that cops are more than human. Humans suck and treat each other like dirt.

Cops know that they get away with most everything they do as long as they only hurt people noone will listen to anyway.

4. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Right, Dross.
    Cops are people too. That means they span the gamut from moral to immoral, good to evil, decent to indecent.
    Some of them probably cave under the pressures and/or opportunities the job offers. Some don't. Like in any sampling of humanity, you're going to find good guys and bad guys, and no way to tell which group they belong to until they do something like this. There's no kind of pre-screening that can tell what evil lurks in the hearts of men...

5. redneck hater

redneck hater IncGamers Member

Eh, if any of you guys are fans of System of a Down, "Deer Dance" nicely sums up my views on the police/law enforcement.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

atleast they didn't **** their mothers

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Y'know, I could easily pigeonhole any group of people on the negative actions of a few of their members, too.

A couple of corrupt cops does not an evil government force make. I don't like being lumped into the same category as people who violate the very tenents of my responsibilities like those guys allegedly did.

8. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy IncGamers Member

How can u justify calling an elite group of professionals "PIG" because of a couple guys that Broke the law?
    Let me guess you got a speeding ticket.........oooo or better yet you got cought peeing in public. Yea you were really victimized............
    Your inflamitory remarks about the fine people of this profession are just as bad as racial slurs IMO.

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

That's the other thing, Dross. I don't appreciate being called a pig. Every time you call police officers that you're insulting me personally.

10. Drosselmeier

Sorry about that. It wasn´t directed at policemen in general though. Maybe I shouldn´t have used that term or used it more clearly. I used it only in reference to the bastards who ***** that girl and those creeps who exploit prostitutes.

I don´t have a problem with the police. They´re doing a fine job most of the time and those police officers who do their job and do it right are great people IMO. It´s not the easiest job in the world, obviously, and I wouldn´t want it.

The thing is that as the OP said, or inferred, the police should be held to higher standards. They are given great power over the public and if they are not responsible about how they wield that power things can get really ugly. Especially since they know that their words weigh heavy in a trial and that it´s hard to get them convicted if they cross the line.

Beastie Boy... I haven´t been victimized by the police. I never said I had. I have read more than one story about corrupt policemen breaking laws and hurting people though, and I´ve seen policemen nearly kill a drunk teenager and get away without any reprecussions. I´m wary of the police since they do hold some power over me. That´s also the reason why police misconduct disturbs me so much. If someone is supposed to keep me in line and keep me safe, they had better stay on the right side of the law themselves.

11. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the apology Dross,
    If you have been witness to the police beating a kid up, then you have been victimized bud. I feel for you.
    TY for acknowlageing the hard work that we do.

12. Drosselmeier

For me, the problem is the classic "who is going to police the police". It´s impossible to weed out every unfit person applying to police training, so there must be some sort of independent organ that watches the police to make sure noone strays. That´s pretty much a given for me.
    The problem with that system is that it can be abused by the other side. If people file complaints about the police for every minor thing they can think of or make up, the system is swamped and can´t function anymore. If police officers feel that they will get in trouble for minor things or they might hesitate to intervene when it´s needed.

The difficulty is to balance the system so that people unfit for the job are talen off the job while not interfering with the work of the people who act professionally.

13. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

For what should be obvious reasons, people who have a need to feel power over others are attracted to police work (this does not mean all police are this way). Now guess what motivates people who commit [email protected]?

This has been going on since there have been police. Nothing new. Just because they're charged with enforcing the law doesn't mean they don't have their share of dirtbags amoung their ranks. They are still human after all.

The only people who are shocked by this are people who have built up an unrealistic image of policmen in their heads.

14. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

It was obviously directed at the police in general, Dross. I'm shocked at the sheer audacity you showed by saying "Borderline **** by cops will occur in every country where prostitution is criminalized.
    Pig gets the opportunity every day when assorting with scum. Pig can´t resist the temptation, goes for it." then saying "It wasn´t directed at policemen in general though."

Now drop the pop psychology book on the floor and back away from it Underseer, before you accuse everyone with a job of being rapists.

15. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

Like Mixed said, there's going to be good and bad in all lines of work. It is a bit scarey to think the people who're there to protect could do such a thing. But that can be said of alot of occupations, teachers, clergy, etc.

No, I'm not trying to open up some big can of worms for a flaming argument ;). Just saying that we can't tar all with the same brush.

I do hope they get exactly what they deserve, not because they are police, but because they are rapist and any rapist deserves all hell let loose on them.

16. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Try reading before criticizing.

I did not accuse all cops of being serial rapists. I didn't even accuse most cops of being rapists. This is not "pop psychology," this comes from knowing and being friends with cops. They'll be the first to tell you that most departments have a one or two people who seem to think having power over others is more important than the job they're supposed to do.

It is not unreasonable to assume that a percentage of those folks are going to indulge in other means of feeling power over others, and the criminal record bears my assumption out. Go look it up for yourself.

17. Drosselmeier

Notice my use of the singular "pig". It points to the individual police officer who doesn´t have the superego to control the rotten part of his character.

Edit: If that does not convince you, check this out...

That´s from the post in question. Is it still
    "obviously directed at the police in general"?

18. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Regardin Policing the Police.
    If you check the article again you'll see that this case was brought because ofther members of the same police force thought that there was somethig that needed investigation.

The victim made no complaint. Maybe she was too scared, maybe she didn't think she'd get justice, maybe she was sufferering from some sort of mis-guided guilt and thought she'd brought it on herself. Whatever the reason, that's a concern in itself.

19. Drosselmeier

It isn´t uncommon that **** victims choose to remain silent. I don´t think it has a whole lot to do with the fact that the rapists were policemen. Not nessecarily at least.

I don´t think it should be the role of the police to see to it that their colleagues behave. It´s not fair to either the police or the public. The police is biased in that situation and confidence in them will drop if they are suspected of covering for their colleagues. The public does not get full protection from abuse if the bad police officers are not dealt with in an objective and impartial manner every time.

Kudos to those officers who reported this. As damaging as something like this is for the police as a collective, the fact that they chose to deal with it and prosecute these guys reflect well on the decent officers.

20. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

This is why we have things like the IAB. But they can only do something about it if they become aware of it, which is what the other police officers did. And I'm damn glad they did given the secularism of police officers.