Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If nobody paid real money for diablo items, would there be less dupers on bnet?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by raffster, Mar 2, 2004.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

If nobody paid real money for diablo items, would there be less dupers on bnet?

Sometimes I still wonder if spending almost three days on the trade channel was worth the trouble to get the runes I needed for my BOTD eth zerk axe. I have often been tempted to take the easy way out by just going on Ebay and get those runes for real money especially knowing that the three days I spent to trade legitly only took dupers a few minutes to get those runes.

I was wondering if there would be less (or no) dupers if people didn't buy Diablo items for real money. I am not condemning anybody who buys stuff from Ebay, however, I am asking if buying stuff from Ebay is the reason why dupers abound.

I could only imagine that if the rune duping didn't happen early on in 1.10, there would only be very few people who would have ENIGMAs and BOTD even until now. Hmmm...what do you think?

2. wesje

wesje IncGamers Member

Dont think so, ppl allways want to fool the system so theyll trade anyways

3. da_vindicator

da_vindicator IncGamers Member

I don't really think so. People keep those dupe methods in private now, since money can be made with them. Keeping them private is good, since only they can make money with it and blizz won't patch the dupemethod as fast.
    If they couldn't make money with it they would dupe everything they they felt like and then probably release it to the public. When a method becomes public you're gonna get a real duping spree.
    Because of ebay people tend to keep the duping methods to themselves, and because of that less stuff gets duped than when a full scale dupeing spree would occur when the dupe goes public.

4. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

First, there is no public dupe at the moment. So as far as dupers go, yes, there would be much less duping if items weren't available for real money. However, not ALL item selling sites/ebay vendors use duplication methods. Some use providers, actual people trading items for a few dollars (in store credit) each.

But yes, indirectly people who are willing to spend their real money on fake items are part of the reason dupers are around.

5. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

People willing to spend their money on fake items are also the reason why the movie industry is still in business. Spend 20$, sit and watch pixels on a screen for 90mins then get up and go home.

I do think that being able to sell items gives some people more incentive to work towards dupeing them, because if they can sell one windforce for 5$ and dupe 20 more in 1 minute they will have a load of $$ to gain from it. However I don't think that there is anything wrong with paying money for virtual items because millions of people do it every day. I mean I'm sure some of the people on this forum would jump to say someone else is a loser for buying a diablo item, but find it perfectly fine to spend 20$ to watch a movie. In reality when you pay for a movie you're paying to watch pixels on a screen, when you pay for a diablo item, you're paying for pixles on a screen .. there's no difference.

6. Drukqs

Drukqs IncGamers Member

Nice point

-Drukqs-

7. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

When a movie screen starts shooting me in the face with explosive arrows, then we'll talk.

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Actually, just because millions of people do it doesn't make it any more right then it is wrong. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just acceptable since its not any of my business how people choose to spend their money.

Yes this is a good point, but also slightly off the mark. Everyone who plays the game had to buy it. We all payed $50 or so (depending on when you bought it and if you got Xpac or not) to play the game, Diablo II. So in effect, we all are losers since we all shelled out good money to play in virtual world as virtual people. This was what we wanted when we payed for the game. Just like when we buy a movie ticket, we payed because we wanted to be entertained.

However, when people buy items online, they are paying extra money for things they could have obtained simply by playing the game. The reason we play the game in the first place is because we want to have fun. For some people, fun means getting all the good items in the game without actually playing it. This is my personal reason for looking down upon people who buy items online. If you were going to buy a game, you might as well play it. Instead some people decide to pay even more money to play the game for them.

So in my opinion, people who buy D2 items online are cheating themselves of 1.) their money 2.) their fun

9. Bonesman

Bonesman IncGamers Member

Hey if people want to waste their hard earned money on a game instead of things that are important, then that's their perogative. I personally think it's stupid and wasteful, but who am i to say anything.