Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

If nail clippers are banned in airplanes, they should also ban "black belters" right?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, May 28, 2005.

1. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

If nail clippers are banned in airplanes, they should also ban "black belters" right?

Last night in my Jiu-Jitsu class I saw how easily our instructor (a 2nd degree black belter) submitted the best student in our class who happens to be a top notch purple belter in mixed martial arts tournaments. The purple belt is by no means an easy foe. He can easily take on folks who are double his weight and size. But even with his incredible skill, he looked like a helpless mouse when he fought with our instructor. And there are those who are far better than my instructor.

Which brings to mind the silliness of why airport security would ban metal nail clippers when a person like my instructor is probably ten times deadlier than ten people who are allowed to carry small swiss army knives in the plane.

I completely understand what airport security must do to ensure air traffic safety but I think it has gone to a point where it's just utterly ridiculous. If ten highly skilled martial artists like my instructor boarded a plane they will most likely succeed if they hijacked it.

I wonder if it's just going to be a matter of time when airport security wouldn't allow martial artists to board airplanes. Who knows? Maybe the next airplane-based terrorist attack will be done by highly trained martial arts experts. I wonder what airport security will do next if something like that ever happens.

2. Mecal

Mecal Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, i know what you mean.

My grandparents went on a trip to England, and they took their 20 year old or so thermometer with them, and guess what?
    It has mercury in it, and they couldnt take it with them.

ridiculous.

3. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe they thought your grandfather had the skills of MacGuyver and could turn the mercury into a lethal weapon, like a thermo nuclear bomb.

That is ridiculous. Much as I hate the idea of hijacking the thought of black belts actually hijacking a plane seem very intriguing. That would make airport security look like a big joke. Now they're going to have to check every person's background before you buy a plane ticket. That will be the end of martial arts.

4. UserMathias

UserMathias Diabloii.Net Member

The advantage box cutters have over martial arts is fundamental. Little or no training required.

No less, I agree with your conclusion. After 9/11 the strategy used to deal with hijackers is no longer "go along", but "tear him!". Every man (and woman) on the plane versus a guy with a nail clipper. Hah.

5. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

dont give em any ideas, shhhhhhhhh

*knock knock*

FBI, open up please

there you have it :p

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Things that can stab make people bleed. Blood helps cause terror. Besides, the government can regulate weapons much more easily than people. Martial artists are allowed to go into banks, schools, post offices, other places where weapons are banned (even in states that allow concealed weapons). I don't think this is going to be a big deal.

7. Mecal

yeah, which is silly.

5 vs 1 w/nail clipper

i think the 5 would win.

heck, even 1 v 1, just because he has a nail clipper, doesnt mean he can kill anyone, or even do alot of harm. Sure he can puncture and wound, but nothing that serious, unless it is in someones eye.

8. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim Diabloii.Net Member

A small amount of mercury can seriously damage a large amount of aircraft structure.

http://avstop.com/maint/corrosion/ch7.html

9. Eff

Eff Banned

and what about shoes, eh? if we all remember austin powers, i think it stands without doubt that shoes are quite capable of destruction.

i vote naked, handcuffed-to-the-seat air flights

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You know the answer. Typical overreaction by the career beauruweenies that wouldn't know a good idea if it kicked them in the head. Nobody is going to hijack another airliner without the passengers having some say about it.

Sure you can whip out a nail cutter. What are you going to do? Kill me? :lol: Getting caught in a zipper is going to make a worse wound (long story. Insert joke here)

A black belt on the other hand is going to make life hell for the people in front of him. That is unless they run up against an old sarge or chief. Then it's the black belt that's going to be the one left broken and bleeding.

I personally feel safer is everybody is armed. Then nobody is going to want to cause trouble. It's known to the state of California to be hazardous to your health.

11. Mecal

ah, ok thanks for clearing that up.

i thought they did it because its a "weapon".

12. publius

publius Diabloii.Net Member

I think you shouldn't give politicians ideas ;)

Martial arts have been largely ignored by politicians, largely due to obscurity. However, there have been some unnerving things suggested recently by some rather progressive politicians who think that martial artists need to be protected from themselves. Stuff like regulating the training of martial arts, such as requiring licenses and the like.

13. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Diabloii.Net Member

Just another reason why pilots should have guns or tazers in the cockpit. Unless of course, these martial artists can dodge bullets, and have natural resistances to electricity. Then I guess the only thing left is to kick them below the black belt. I don't care if you're Bruce Lee, a shot to the junk will take you down.

14. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

BS.

I've seen to many people kicked there..and it didn't do a damn thing.

But to the original poster...ya I think martial arts coud be very dangerous when used in the wrong hands...esp on a airplane. But I really think that most planes now-a-days are fitted with at least 1 gun on board right? Or something for defense against small weapons..and of course skilled fighters.
    What would be cool if one "bad guy" with awesome skilled, found himself against a "good guy" with awesome skills...36,000 feet above soil. And whoa!..ones dressed in black, and the other white!!!!

15. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight Diabloii.Net Member

I think it would be cooler if they both wore plaid and fought with whiskey bottles.

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It would be so incredibly hard to regulate. I know people that are black belts in "karate"(AKA some martial arts place at a strip mall) that would get their asses handed to them by a yellow belt in my class.

YOu would have to judge skill on a by person basis.

17. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

Ya I had a good friend who was a brown belt in Shotokan(sp?)..and he was easy peasy when it came to street..of course he knew this. He could hold his on np, but he was skilled in tournaments only pretty much...where a person couldn't use a bat to even the score.
    See when a person thinks a trophy, or a belt, or a special item a master gives you(<like movies do)will make you "the best"..they are very much wrong.
    What makes you the best comes from the heart and mind. Where only you feel, and use when the time comes. Which to any respectable martial artist is..hopefully never.

18. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

I'd rather have to fight a semi-trained person with a box cutter than a well-trained martial arts expert. You can beat the box cutter guy with a long pole...the martial artist is different. Even without a weapon to help, I highly doubt the box cutter wield person could defend all of the key points if I would have time to think it over.

Yeah, I think we should ban martial artists in general from boarding flights. Might make the nation wake up and see how unfair and ludacris the TSA really is.

19. plasmo

plasmo Diabloii.Net Member

Well, as George Carlin says, "Suppose you just have really big hands. Couldn't you strangle a flight attendant?"

BTW, I'm fairly certain all or most of the 9/11 hijackers had trained extensively in hand-to-hand combat in various countries.

Ah, yeah, here's one article from the Washington Post: "The men were trained in hand-to-hand combat in the Al Qaeda camps [in Afghanistan], taught the physical skills they would need for the sole task given them -- to physically overpower flight crews. The pilots were the leaders. The new men would be the muscle."

20. Matt

Matt Diabloii.Net Site Pal

No, that will be the end of the airlines.