Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

IDITAROD Pictures are Here!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by giantpinkbunnyhead, Mar 7, 2004.

1. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

IDITAROD Pictures are Here!!!

For those of you who wanted Iditarod pics, and anybody else who wants to see what the world's most famous sled dog race is about, Click Here!

There are a LOT of pictures to look at, across several pages! I took them all this morning (Mar 6th), then put the web pages together this evening for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

2. gaoneng

gaoneng IncGamers Member

First time I see pictures of dog sleds sled dogs ... I'm so jealous I want your job. How fast are the dogs? Where does the "race" part come in? Doesn't look like the dogs overtake each other. And how on earth does the "musher" instruct the dogs where to go? Whip? Yawp? Joystick?

I've always think horse carriages and sleds and whatever are amazing things, how all the animals tied to the same vehicle travel at the same speed. If you know what i mean...

3. giantpinkbunnyhead

The dogs can reach speeds of 25 mph when they're rested. The race is to see which team can get from Anchorage, to Nome, in the shortest amount of time. So they race against each other, but not exactly at the same time because if you've ever seen several dog teams tangled together... it's quite a mess! So they start two minutes apart each, to give spacing. Each musher races to his own clock. So if one starts two minutes after another, it doesn't mean he is two minutes behind. If he starts two minutes later, and finishes two minutes later, then they both took the same amount of time and they are tied. But on a course 1100 miles long, you inevitably get teams passing other teams along the way and usually there's no problems.

THe dogs generally know where to go because the trail is marked for the entire course. The mushers have them trained to respond to various commands, and they have a sharp eye for tiring dogs. If one gets tired, the dog is removed from the team and carried on the sled for a while so he can rest. If too many dogs get tired, the musher must stop and rest the whole team.

4. FoodPoisoning

FoodPoisoning Banned

Heh, I live in Alaska...

5. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Very cool pictures GPBH - thanks for sharing all of them with us! I'll have to visit Alaska one of these days and it would be great to coincide it with the Iditarod time of year. At least your pictures gave a glimpse into what it is like though.

Was it a new winner this year, or someone who has won it before? I'll check back again tomorrow. Of to bed for me...

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

I thought you did... because of your avatar! I'm probably the only person here who knows who he is. Are you in Anchorage or elsewhere?

Lunar, the pics I took were just of the start of the race. We won't know who wins until March 16 or so, when the first of the finishers get to Nome.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Cool Photos! I had forgotten that Alaska is all about buildings under 20 stories tall. Lousy earthquakes. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all, GPBH.

8. FoodPoisoning

FoodPoisoning Banned

Yes I'm in Anchorage
    what does Graham Chapman have to do with Alaska?
    o_O

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

He looks EXACTLY like this guy I know who survived a terrible boat wreck near Kodiak. He is on practically every survival video I've ever seen, describing how he survived. Apparently it's not the guy in your avatar after all, but I swear they must be twins!

10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Cool pics. :thumbsup: You said before that Anchorage didn't have much snow, and in those pages you describe the snow trail built in town. How far out of town do the teams need to go before they hit usable natural snow courses? Is the entire length of the trail white this year?

11. giantpinkbunnyhead

Durf, this year the race actually starts about 60 miles north of town. From there, the entire trail is snow or frozen ice. 150 miles of the trail is over the frozen Yukon river, and the rest is on natural snow.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Have you ever gotten to fly any of the dog teams back to Anchorage? I bet that'd be quite fun.