Identify, do we really need it?

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member
Identify, do we really need it?

Certainly one of the things that I find cumbersome in hack and slashes is identify.

Identification of magic items was born in D&D, where magic items were rare and the lore attribute could sometimes identify it instantly (not really sure about that) but the problem is, in a hack and slash game so much magic items drop and so much of it is supposed to be sold anyway, it just annoys me to waste more and more clicks.

I do really think its an outdated mechanic that just doesnt fit hack and slash, certainly it has its place on RPGs like Baldur Gate but in Diablo, I thought it was there just as an adopted feature to make it look more Rpg-ish but neer really fit its mechanics.

If Identify was removed, the item could just drop blue if it was magic and when picked up, it auto-identify itself.

Is anyone so in love and thrilled with the extra clicks that the identifaction process gives to us that they would lament the demise of this fantastic procedure?

And cmon people, Cain is really old now, he should retire as an identificator already.

prion

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Identify, do we really need it?

huh.

i guess there is only a point to "identify" if an item would have some kind of hidden mods that you need to take to a particular NPC to ID but otherwise you could use it normally.

aaaaaand there would have to be cursed items...

cos really, if you pick up a Jagged sword it should be pretty obvious...but maybe you have to hit something with it to learn that it has lightning damage

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, in one way or another, identify "unlocks" the mods in the item but its so ridiculously cheap(75 gold? Thats nothing at all) that it might as well be auto-identified. And I fail to see how infinite auto-identification would be unbalanced in a hack and slash. Plus you cant even equip unindentified items, it would be interesting if you could use an unindentified item and it turns out to be cursed, so it binds to your character and you need to pay an NPC to remove it. But even so its just that, "interesting", because in the end it would be just something to annoy you.

Mythic

Diabloii.Net Member

I would be really happy if they did away with identify. I like the idea of making it only necessary for certain quest items, like when Cain tells you about The Golden Bird.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the Quest idea. Here's why:
Every Quest item is Unique. Every Unique item should have a story. This is where ID comes in. If ID can reveal to us the story of the item, we not only gain knowledge of what the weapon's stats, perks, etc. but we also gain knowledge and exposure to the world of Sanctuary. This expands the world and adds to the story. The depth, the detail, and the danger inspired by these stories is one of the best things in D1 and D2. More of it is always worthwhile and the returns on player experience is what creates hardcore fans.

Could you imagine just how awesome it would be to listen to Cain tell the story of Arkaine's Valor or the birth and creation of the Windforce Hydra Bow? Every unique item in the game has a story, but we very rarely hear the story behind it, except Azurewrath and a few others and these are not exacting in game narrations either.

ID should reveal these stories (you'll need to use a scroll to read the story each time). Also, look, if Fallout1/2 can use the "look" option to describe everything in the world to the player, surely Diablo 3 can do something like that. You could use an ID scroll to examine rocks, plants, doors, chests, etc. ID scrolls should give you more information about the world and perhaps even warn you to traps.

Imagine something like this: you buy a keg of beer from the tavern and you decide to ID it for lolz. However, the ID identifies a poison in the keg. A new Quest! Find the poisoner!

Or... you ID a tree. It turns out there's a squirrel nest up there. You search the nest and find some loot including a pretty and expensive looking trinklet. A new Quest! Find out who lost it!

Etc.

aishilee

Diabloii.Net Member

Its good for items that varies in stats when identified.

so you could trade off people who likes to gamble.

Kornkills

Diabloii.Net Member

Some people prefer to keep uniques unidentified for trading. Or just a *minor* gold sink if you never save Cain.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, having to ID it adds to the suspense ("will this FINALLY be a Stone of Jordan?"), but I suppose it has indeed outlived it's purpose.

What's weird about having to ID an item, it that everyone now knows what the item is. I mean, let's say you ID a unique ring and it turns about to be a Manald's Heal. You throw it on the ground and leave the game. Then someone else enters the game and picks it up. How come HE doesn't have to ID it?

Or some greasy necromancer wants to trade his Stone of Jordan for a sorceress' Arm of King Leoric (yeah, just an example). How does the sorceress know whether to trust the necromancer and the ring is indeed a Stone of Jordan?

Could be interesting if ID-ing would only apply to the person who ID'd it. I wonder how that would change the game?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

ID is not necessary imho. I am lazy, and I don't like to pickup and ID each blue Monarch or ring. It's much easier in most of the other games like Titan quest, where you see what trash dropped immediatly on the gorund.

The Italian Oak

Diabloii.Net Member

Yea but it's a surprise factor. Wondering what you got. If you're cheap just get Cain, or pick up throwing knives and sell for 480 gold and get the book

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

surprise factor? Like when blue ring from hell Baal drops, my thoughts are - "OK this is probably another +1 life ring". And after I ID it. "OK, I was wrong, it's +1light radius ring, why do I even bother?"

The Italian Oak

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah I see what you're saying. It is a pain, espc when your inventory is full and you're wondering if you should throw up a TP or just click some more. Too bad it just didn't identify itself when you picked it up

so next are we going to be saying "lets have away with all the mouse clicking?"

"i'm too lazy to bother clicking my mouse. blizz should get rid of that, and allow you to choose a char, and then that char can play the game without any input from me"

if you dont like id'ing stuff, dont pick it up, and dont id it. its that simple :D

maybe youre all tired of lvling too? maybe blizz should introduce a monster in each act that gives you enough exp to bump you 10 lvls?!

if you dont like the game, play something else. its hardly a huge problem having to id an item.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

so next are we going to be saying "lets have away with all the mouse clicking?"

"i'm too lazy to bother clicking my mouse. blizz should get rid of that, and allow you to choose a char, and then that char can play the game without any input from me"

if you dont like id'ing stuff, dont pick it up, and dont id it. its that simple :D

maybe youre all tired of lvling too? maybe blizz should introduce a monster in each act that gives you enough exp to bump you 10 lvls?!

if you dont like the game, play something else. its hardly a huge problem having to id an item.
Thats a lot of nonsense there :p If a mechanic is serving no purpose anymore, just remove it already. It has nothing to do with anything that you posted there.

Thats a lot of nonsense there :p If a mechanic is serving no purpose anymore, just remove it already. It has nothing to do with anything that you posted there.
it does serve a purpose. . .

you can trade unid'd items for a higher trade value.

and, i know this might be painful for you guys, but you have to make a bit of effort to see what item dropped. i think too many of you are too lazy to even game properly. you want rushes, you want the best items from dupes, and now you dont want the so called hassle of id'ing items

i cannot believe so many of you pi$$ and moan about id'ing items. tell me then, whats the point in tp's? whats the point in gold? whats the point in npc's? why not just have a dialogue appear after each quest, telling you where to go next?

like i said, if its too much of a hassle to id an item, leave it where it is, and dont id it. problem solved. alternatively, take a hammer, and swing it ala whirlwind at your pc, then get a friend to do the same to your face :D

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

it does serve a purpose. . .

you can trade unid'd items for a higher trade value.
Which items? And I really want to meet those people in-game, in every trade that I found noone cared if it was identified or not. In fact they demanded it to be identified because it could have bad stats and I never found anyone who was up to gamble like that.

Or you think that someone would trade an unid ring? That could have been found on normal Andy. Noone is that stupid.

This whole thing of "higher trading values" isnt even as huge as you make it up to be, few people actually cared about trading non-identified items anyway.

and, i know this might be painful for you guys, but you have to make a bit of effort to see what item dropped. i think too many of you are too lazy to even game properly. you want rushes, you want the best items from dupes, and now you dont want the so called hassle of id'ing items
WoW, thats a bit of a stretch here to say that people who say that identify is outdated are the same type of person who wants rushes and dupes, and just to defend such an outdated mechanic.

i cannot believe so many of you pi$$ and moan about id'ing items. tell me then, whats the point in tp's? whats the point in gold? whats the point in npc's? why not just have a dialogue appear after each quest, telling you where to go next?
What has that to do with anything?

like i said, if its too much of a hassle to id an item, leave it where it is, and dont id it. problem solved. alternatively, take a hammer, and swing it ala whirlwind at your pc, then get a friend to do the same to your face
Your mental age surprises me, didnt you know that diablo rated M? :D

Coldsmoke

Diabloii.Net Member

you can sell mass unid rings/amus on jsp. witch will give you on average more profit than iding them.
Also some items like eth titans can be sold for more unid on average.
and how about unid annis/torches?

And it just rules to id an item and see ti has perf stats:p

But I think they should auto id blue items, because they just drop too much.

tuxor

Diabloii.Net Member

I honestly don't understand why you're trying to get Identify taken out. It isn't even remotely hard to talk to Cain and say "Identify All Items" or carry a tome around. Not to mention there is a respectable market for Unid. high-tier items like Fathom's, CoA's, etc. Also, having to identify adds more suspense to the game, and makes it so you can't just throw out every bit of junk you come across. The inventory is bigger than 8 slots for a reason.

Kiroptus

Diabloii.Net Member

I honestly don't understand why you're trying to get Identify taken out. It isn't even remotely hard to talk to Cain and say "Identify All Items" or carry a tome around. Not to mention there is a respectable market for Unid. high-tier items like Fathom's, CoA's, etc. Also, having to identify adds more suspense to the game, and makes it so you can't just throw out every bit of junk you come across. The inventory is bigger than 8 slots for a reason.
I hardly call a few excentric players who like to trade/gamble unid items a "respectable" market.

And, more suspense? Where? For that magic ring that adds +18 ar or maybe one light radius? Uniques? You pretty much already know all of those anyway. And with rings and ammys, no one is stupid enough to trade for unid unique rings and ammies.