Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Identical Ip's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Emerald Dragon, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

Identical Ip's

The Main forum I post in is the game infinite forum. I was a regular there, and knew almost everyone. I enjoyed posting and had it as my homepage. But now I am banned from it and I am innocent. Let me explain.

There was a user named Blk Widow. She was from the same city as me. She posted a lot more than me, and one day got in a fight with the creator and got banned for it. I was also banned. I emailed the creator and he said he didn't ban me, then later emailed me saying blk widow and I had the same IP. I told him I was innocent, but he didnt respond to any more emails I sent him.

Then the site got hacked by someone, and the creator remade the forum. That was a few days ago. I started posting on it again, happy to be back. Then Blk Widow returned and the whole issue blew up again.

The mods thought I was using two accounts so I could respond to myself to get more coins (coins per post thing, its been taken out now). A mod told me that its impossible to have the exact same IP as someone else. He told me to get proof that two seperate people can have the same ip and I will be cleared.

Then an hour later, the creator came on, saw the posts on the forum, and banned me again!.

This is unfair to me because I have done nothing wrong. Nothing at all. I vote for the site every day and post all the time. I never did anything to deserve this unjust punishment.

Now I am banned again and cant even look at the forum. I need proof. Does anyone know why this person had the same IP as me?

I use the cable/internet package from shaw cable. I only have 1 computer in the house and it uses a cable modem.

I need proof to clear my name and get back on the forum. This may not seem like a big deal, but for all you posters with 1000+ posts, imagine if you got banned from here for the reason stated above. How would you feel?

Please, if you know why this has happened, can you tell me so I can email it to the creator and prove my innocence?

2. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

The most likely explanation is that you're lying. I would remedy that situation by not lying.

3. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

The next most likely explanation is that Blk Widow is in fact your father.

4. Emerald Dragon

This isn't a joke. If I was lying I wouldn't bother posting this.

5. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I apologize for my comrades' suspicious attitudes; we are an argumentative gang of primates here, taken to throwing feces from the trees before welcoming newcomers.

I have never heard of two different computers, at different locations and not routed through the same system, having identical ISP's. Because of this, I have no clue as to how to assist you. Good luck; I'd do a Google on the subject if I were you.

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

An Internet provider (such as AOL, EarthLink, or Comcast) assigns identical IP addresses to multiple users by geographic areas

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Ok, now that this page finally loaded. . .took forever.

Cable ISPs give entire areas one big IP. Then there is a router that breaks it up to each house. To the outside world there is essentially one IP, well for the sake of it that is all I will say. Same with college campuses, if one guy gets banned everyone else is too.

So, yes, you do have an argument. Not all cable ISPs work like this, the cheaper-midrange(consumer speeds) ones usually do.

8. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

First I will say that going back to the forum you were banned from due to it having crashed was unwise as you were banned (even if due to a technical glitch). You should have tried via e-mail to work it out with the Admin. If the Admin would not hear you and made up their minds then that is what you have to go by. It is thier site and you are a visitor. If they don't want you, why would you want to be there? There are a million sites out there (like our lovely one here).

Now what I would do is contact your ISP and ask them what thier policy is in regard to issuing IP addresses. If you can get e-mail correspondence from them that shows that multiple homes get the same IP then you may have a case. But even with PROOF, what is to say that the Admin from your other site will still even read your e-mails.

If you want to give it a shot, go for it.

Otherwise, my recommendation is just shop around for a new place to hang out.

R++

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

That's not much of an argument. It's circumstantial and essentially seeks to prevent the moderators from enforcing their policies. If these two have to be co-banned or co-unbanned, it's more fair to more people if they're co-banned.

But let's forget about that. Just for tonight, let's be... co-people...

Hop on a proxy and make a new account. If that doesn't work, tell your dad to knock it off.

10. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i bet that site sucked anyway.

11. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Any site that doesn't believe such a convincing "My dad did it" story gets my thumbs down for sure.

Edit: Sorry, my dad typed that.

Double Edit: I think Blk probably stands for Barton Luther King if that helps you track down the real killer.

12. rplusplus

rplusplus IncGamers Member

I like the Ebay complaints.

My cat walked across my keyboard,enter'd a bid, clicked bid, and accept.

I wish I had that smart of a cat. I'd send it to work and play video games all day.

R++

13. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

14. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

or the perv sitting at the curb in his car downloading the nasties over a wireless router

15. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

well we'll just see how long it takes for a mysterious "blk widow" to show up here. then we'll all report your dad/cat/evil twin.

16. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

Yeah, also the license plate on your dad's Topaz is "BLK WDW" so we're totally on to you, and no, those aren't my binoculars in your driveway.

17. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Whats the adress of that site? I would like to register there as Bulk window and check things out for you.

18. Emerald Dragon

That would just make things worse. Some of you did provide info that may help me though. Now I just need to get this to the admin's and hope they believe me. Thanks guys.

In case any of you want to check out the forum, its here. *link deleted* But please, dont do anything like Bulk Window. That will just make my already bad position worse.

Emerald Dragon,
    Posting links to gaming forums is prohibited here.
    If you do it again you will suffer the same fate as your friend.

Freet

19. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

cat the other white meat :D

20. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I have frequently left the room only to return to find that my ferret has carried on a nonsensical conversation in live chat:

nks;djdcucatkj'

WTF?

lzjdnv;rhgidvmlmckallaksdcxyv,fgjhvndie,cvmv

U stoned again?

xkdvnkdjnxvmdnldjkvjdnvkdmvknjshdfinno

I even came back once to find the following in d2 chat:

<Patriarch BadBabba> Anyone that wants to have cybersex with me type 123 now

<Matriarch Sera_Braveblade> 123111```

Ferrets have a sense of humour but cats are just plain evil.