Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ideas for New Classes

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Davio, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

Ideas for New Classes

Obviously, for any RPG, one of the most important factors are the classes a player can choose from. Since they are so important, I thought it would be a nice idea to separate this subject from the main 'What would you like to see?'-threads.

In Diablo II classic, we enjoyed:
    - Amazon, female missile/melee
    - Necromancer, male summoner/caster
    - Sorceress, female caster
    - Paladin, male melee/caster
    - Barbarian, male melee(/missile, though flying axes aren't really used)

In the expansion, we enjoyed:
    - Druid, male caster/summoner/melee
    - Assassin, female melee/summoner

In total
    Melee: 5x
    Caster: 4x
    Summoner: 3x
    Missile: 1.5x

Female: 3x
    Male: 4x

So, which class was missing here? What would you like to see?

It looks like missile is not represented enough and we could use another female.

My own idea: The Raider

Think Indiana Jones meets Tomb Raider meets Han Solo meets Boba Fett; a bountyhunter. He's not in it to save the world or mankind, he only seeks loot he can sell for a nice profit. His weapon: A lasso or a whip or a net. Skills include ensaring enemies, rendering them powerless, powerwhip or something like that. Passive skills can be used to increase MF/GF or "guarantee" a certain number of elite items from bosses/superuniques/uniques/champions.

2. MrOzio

MrOzio Banned

Re: Ideas for New Classes

Dont forget these...

Diablo:
    Warrior, Rogue, and Sorcerer

Hellfire:
    Monk and Blood Wizard

3. YSM

YSM Banned

Hopefully, there won't be any gender-specific classes this time around.

And I'm not too sure if I would want Diablo III to have a large roster of classes. My reasoning behind this is that they would most likely overlap each other's in-game roles and play-styles -- which would create class imbalance issues, as well as annoyed players within the community.

I think Blizzard should keep it simple: a melee class, a missile/bow class, a caster class and a pet class. When looking back at my list, I can see that Blizzard got it right the first time with Diablo II.

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I'm getting kinda sick of the typical tank melee char, fragile overpowered mage, and dodging projectile weapon user triad that every game seems to have.

Two ideas I've never quite seen in any RPG:

A healer that heals by attacking his allies. Has a variety of weapons and attack skills to do this with, all with different pros and cons. Imagine whirlwinding through your party.

Also, a "tamer" class. A tamer could have one minion at a time, and a several to choose from, that's one skill tree. Another skill tree is buffs for the minion, further allowing you to specialize it. A third tree would be debuffs to cast on enemies. The tamer would use a whip as a weapon, allowing them to stand a good distance away from their minion.

5. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

Your tamer strikes an odd resemblance to druids and necromancers, which are D2's summoners. The whip is a nice touch though.

I've wondered quite a bit why D2 doesn't have any healing spells, healer class seems nice to me. I guess the healer also needs to be able to instanly cure curses like IM and thaw/antidote people... That would make him even more useful.

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

it has them, but no one uses them. the pally has a few healing spells.

I'd like to see a more flexible skill tree. classes that aren't gender specific (like necromancer chic, she'd be all moody, and whoop butt, like raven from teen titans). Anyway, all skills should be available to you player and they should change appearance as they get deeper into specific skill trees. get into dark magic, and you get more and more gothic, get into physical skills, get more buff, etc.

I'd also like the ability to zoom in and out, and occasionally move the camera to peek down long halls. there were times in D2 that the battlefield seemed much larger than my screen and it was mildly unrealistic that I couldn't see more than 10-20 yards in any direction.

7. Spiritclaw

Spiritclaw IncGamers Member

I'd like to see more customization of abilities. Sort of like the original Diablo where players could learn any spell as long as they had the proper stats for it.

There should be some skills that are for specific classes, then others that any class can use. I'd also like to see more abilities in general.

All of this would allow more choice when it comes to making a character. Yes there is some degree of customization now, but when it comes down to it, most people have the same few builds as everyone else for their serious gaming. Then a few others for just playin around for fun.

8. eviscerator

eviscerator IncGamers Member

I would like to see a nice mage class with healing spells, but uses some attacks like "dark" magic. I think that'd be pretty pimp but would probably end up being overpowered.

9. RimuZ

RimuZ IncGamers Member

Something that would be extremely nice is a challenging PvM.

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Stop using dupewords and your hammerdin/sorc and try out hell with a barb, sin, or druid.

11. Bioburg

Bioburg IncGamers Member

hell poses no thread for a good geared/skilled/statted baba, sin or dudu :wink3:

12. MyDireLife

MyDireLife IncGamers Member

How about a "Pirate" Class?

Skill trees would be something like...

Theft

Steal: Has a chance to steal an item from an enemy.
    Mug: Deals damage, while having the chance to steal from an enemy.
    Absorb: Takes the power that some unqiues have, like, "Extra Strong"
    "Physical Imune" "Extra Fast"

Water

Her being a pirate, she should be able to munipulate water right?

Water Shield: Nice huh? Maybe something like.... A barrier of water that slows
    the kentic force of an incoming spell/projectile, or even a
    Melee wep, reducing the over-all damage inflicted?

Typhoon/Water Spout: Meh, kinda like a druid but ya know where im goin...
    Flood: Soaks the ground in water reducing the speed of enemies?

Summon's

She should be able to summon her fellow pirate ghosts/sea creature
    ghosts right?

Pirate: Summons her fellow pirate ghosts to battle.
    Jelly Fish: Emits a eletric charge that increases the casting time of enemies?
    Pirate Ships: Summones a ghost ship that barrages the enemy with
    cannonballs?

13. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

MyDireLife, I think your pirate class is great!

Harrr, my name is Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate.

It isn't even out of sorts with the D2 medieval setting.

14. Thrandir

Thrandir IncGamers Member

I'm always hoping for a blademaster class. Not just another melee tank, no. If he just tried to tank a barb or pally with one skill, he'd die. But it would be cool to devise his skill trees so that, when using many different moves (No, not just charge-up/finishing stuff), he'd become a potent PvM or PvP char. I'd be hard pressed to come up with examples that would work with D2 gameplay, but I'd say it's worth some thought and would be a blast to play.

15. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

They could also expend on the assassin class and throw in some samurai/ninja, because there are a lot of eastern weapons (katana/nunchuks/bo/etc..) that could be introduced this way.

16. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

I always thought that there should have been a class devoted to being a real melee sorc, not just one friggin skill on one character class.

One tree would upgrade your weapon. Obvious examples would be adding leech, increasing damage, and adding elemental damage. However, I've always thought it'd be cool to have skills that also increased your weapon range and base weapon speed. Some skills could be aura-like, while others acted as prebuffs.

The second tree would consist of skills that enhanced your armor. Obvious skills would increase your total defense, or chance of blocking. However, again, I think skills that increase block rate and hit recovery would be pretty darn cool.

The third tree would act like the Barbarian masteries tree. However, instead of enhanced physical damage and AR, It would grant elemental damage when using a specific type of weapon (element determined by type of weapon), or resistances/damage reduction when using a specific type of armor, which would be determined by the type of armor.

It would take a lot of fine tuning, but if Blizzard could make it balanced I think it'd be a pretty fun class to mess around with.

17. prion

prion IncGamers Member

I think the druid summons and spells should be particular to where you are. For example in the desert you would have Sandstorm and Dust Devil, and maybe you could summon a Water Sprite when standing near a river, it would spit Magic Water Globules at your enemy

18. Thrandir

Thrandir IncGamers Member

That would be awesome. Environmental effects. No Blizzard/Meteor/thunderstorm allowed underground!!! Cold damage x2 in act 5, fire x2 in act4. Paladin skills stronger at day, necro's stronger at night...

19. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

Well, if we're talking about changing current skills, then I think assassin traps shouldn't be as visible as they are to other players. It's not really much of a trap if you know exactly where it is.

20. sethyboy

sethyboy IncGamers Member

Heal those fire immunes twice as fast!

How's about more skill points in general, and weaker skills, so people can have more options about skills.

Or things like mixing skills, like casting fire golem on a clay golem makes a lava golem, or something like casting blizzard and meteor creates rain of comets, which would be like fire and ice damage with an explosion.