Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ideal Avenger Weapon

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Daenara, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Daenara

Daenara IncGamers Member

Ideal Avenger Weapon

Hi again,

My fiancee is making an Avenger, and he is spending hours working out the maths to see which weapon will be the best for him. Would someone please put him out of his misery and tell me which weapon is the best for damage, assuming cost is no object. :) :) He doesn't care about crushing blow or anything like that, even though he understands that they are all wonderful stats. He's using a double dream setup, COH, and unsure about the rest yet.

Thanks for your help!

2. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Well, since vengeance converts physical damage on the weapon + any outside min-max damage (like +15 max damage jewels), u would ideally want the highest possible physical damage weapon. I assume he wants a 1 handed weapon, in which case its gotta be GRIEF. Using a grief phaseblade gives u best of 3 worlds! 1st. Very high physical damage. 2nd. Its very fast and u will need very little outside ias to gain max vengeance speed. 3rd. Its indestructible so no repair costs.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Grief doesn't work with Vengeance:(

An ethereal Breath Of The Dying would be sweet, Famine is also nice, Stormlash for Static Field...Basically anything that has high physical damage and is fast.

4. UltraNull

UltraNull IncGamers Member

Cosider Doom. It's not the highest damage, but the HF makes life easyer.
    Also, all but the most hardcore coldimmunes shatter (freezetarget+convition), so no resurrecting crap.

5. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Oath is a very cheap, effective alternative also.

6. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Who told u this?

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The +dmg found on Grief and Redeemer/etc doesn't add to Vengeance dmg. That mod is quirky.

8. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 IncGamers Member

I have also tried Grief with Vengeance when dealing with physical immunes on my smiter. The damage was VERY low. I switched to my Heaven's Light (prebuff weapon) and did a considerable amount more.

9. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Ok thanks for enlightening me.

10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

It's smart not to worry about Crushing Blow on the weapon. There are plenty of other sources for it.

Enhanced damage is the primary stat since even a mere 10% increase will dramatically affect the elemental damage, especially if you max the elemental resist skill synergies. Apparently any items that add to the damage levels from sources not socketed on the weapon don't add up with vengeance so I'm guessing fortitude armor won't help and neither will ED or min/max damage jewels socketed on armor, helms or shields. I know for a fact that strength only increases the physical damage so no go there either.

I have 354% ED rare mighty scepter that I found with 40% IAS and a Shael rune that is making me quite pleased with my Avenger.

Of the rune words I'd say the choice is between Doom and a High ED rolled BotD. BotD can be better for enhanced damage but Doom grants an additional aura, has comparable ED, +2 all, AND reduces resists for cold damage by a lot which is no small thing for an Avenger.

BotD's advantage is that it can be put in an Ethereal weapon since it's indestructible on top of all of it's other ridiculous stats, which will greatly increase the Vengeance damage across the board.

For an old school Avenger, I think BotD may still be the best choice. For this particular one, I think Doom fits the theme better and will be equally effective.

The true ideal would be the ultimate rare weapon. I think rares have the potential to get to 500% Enhanced Damage but ones with over 450 are almost never seen.

If there are any indestructible, 500% ED, 40% IAS, Ethereal scepters with +skills on them out there, I don't think they've ever been traded. Sold by a moron maybe, but never traded.

11. Daenara

Daenara IncGamers Member

Thanks for your help. :) I'll let him know... he was looking at EBOTD, but Doom hadn't occured to him I think! :) I've got him IDing every rare he picks up, so *cross fingers* he'll find something.

Thanks again!

12. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

You can get up to 450% (Master's + Cruel) on an unsocketed rare, add two Ohms and 550% is possible. Indestructible and ethereal can't spawn together on a magic/rare/unique(except those always ethereal). Self-repair is allowed.

You can go and ID every rare weapon you find, but the odds of finding a high-end Cruel Master's is really really low, worse than the odds for a Zod.