Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Idea; Weekly Very LLD Contest.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lotek-Crask, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Lotek-Crask

Lotek-Crask IncGamers Member

Idea; Weekly Very LLD Contest.

Csarmi and I came up with this idea after we met in multiplayer is dead thread. We decided to do this softcore as its more fun. The basic premise is that, all charcters join naked, all charcters level up to level twelve, using any item they find. At level 12, each charcter is given 10k to shop, and 3 chipped gems of there choice. I think it will have to be two people buy there items, then leave, 2 more come, then leave town, until everyone has had a fresh crop of items to choose from. The only items that can be used are storebought blues or whites. Gambled blues or whites, or blue or white items found while leveling up together. All waypoints will be gotten, Cain will be done.

This will be a good easy and fun way for people to start there SC Ladder charcters, to get to know other people, and get introduced, or reaquanted(sp) with Very low level dueling. Now, the discussion Csarmi and I had during our hour or two stay in this game, was mostly about class equality. I am not sure assassins or might/zeal paladins should be allowed in this, but will take your opinions. It is very hard to beat these two types of LLDing charcters with anything but the same. We have had a discussion on rules, and I'd like your input.

Some skills need to be limited, or all together taken out of this contest. One inpaticular that we saw, was poison jav. At level 7 (maxed for level 12s) it does 280 damage per throw. Obviously most level 12s will not be able to truely compete with that. So that needs to be addressed. Also, if we allow Assassins to enter, they will only be allowed to have 1 point in burst of speed. Which I consider plenty fair. Tigerstrike will be only allowed to 1 point, if people think assassins should be able to enter. As I said, all charcters start naked in act 1. They level up together, and have fun, but do not discuss skills/stats. I have trouble coming up with a way to award the winner, as I know I am fairly poor in this sense. Only 6 people will be allowed in the first game of course, I may end up holding more than one contest a week, if there is interest. I think the only way I can reward a winner is by posting there name weekly on the board as the best of this weeks Pure LLD'ers.

Thanks for reading all that, and for your input on this. Any comments/suggestions would really help. And ideas to change, skills to permit or limit. Charcters that shouldn't be allowed are needed to be voiced too.

Ian/Lotek

2. Dinnin Darkblade

Dinnin Darkblade IncGamers Member

Well, being that I come from an entirely different world of PVP I still don't understand why people outlaw this and that from dueling. Yes, were I did PVP (Ultima Online) there was no such thing as a cheap trick or a bogus build. If someone came up with an idea that was tough you just learned to counter it. Yea, maybe it was hard, maybe near impossible, but that was the joy of PVP. To find that oponant that was tough and niegh impossible to beat and then finaly lay the smack down on him.

So yea, I come from a different world entirely when it comes to PVP, but I'm also open to understand why you would outlaw certin skills and builds. I'm still new to Diablo II PVP so I'll be waiting to hear the answers to my questions.

3. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

I think this was done long time ago here on the forum

i mean lvling up together and only use what they find/buy, and then duel.

Some prefer doing it this way, i myself prefer twinking those little lvl 12 chars to their ears. (more variation and so on)

Im also against restricting some chars /skills, specially when it´s only lvl 12 chars and you won´t get those "1- hit - kill - unresistable - hammers"

Restricting assasins, or their skills would also take out some of the fun (atleast for me)
    Sure they are good! but not unbeatable!

edit: i agree with D. darkblade!!

and as i said, at higher lvls there is some seriously unbalanced skills and i realize they need to be toned down a bit, but at lvl 12 i don´t se the meaning in that.

4. Lotek-Crask

The awnser is rather simple. Assassins can do about 300-400 damage full charged, they also have a skill that increased IAS, so basically, there is no way to truely counter it. You can pretty much have the best LLD gear out there (everything socketed with +9 jewels) and get beat by a very subpar LLD assassin. My lvl 9 assassin on USEast did 1013 damage fully charged. So basically its just truely unfair to any one else who wants to try a new idea, or try a new charcter. It's the LLD build. There is no way around it. Might/Zeal is kinda the same idea, the fact that zeal is uninterruptable hurts too. It's basically impossible to kill them with anything but there own kind, and what I'm striving for is diversity. I want to see the wearbears and things. I understand where you guys are coming from, but if im diong this weekly, what will be the fun in seeing an assassin or paladin win EVERY week? There will be no room for fun. See, the point is to have fun, and its just not fun when your playing with a build that you cannot beat, no matter what, that everyone knows. I don't wanna see 6 assassins and a druid and a sorceress. I want to see something taht is a CHALLENGE. And trust me, it is a true challenge to do this without those two classes. We all know they can beat up people, but what will be the fun? I guess I will find a middleground between balance and fun, something blizzard should have done in the first place to make this idea work better. Any suggestions?

5. csarmi

csarmi Banned

counter

This was also discussed. I was the poison javelin user, it did 250-281 damage. All I had to do is hitting him 2 or 3 times with it, checking whether he is already at 1 life and then send some arrows or anything. In most of the duels, I was not even damaged. He could not beat me. Not even sure there is a way. Though there can be, its his turn now to come up with something, if he wins, its my turn, etc.

There is much room for improvement, many things to be discussed.

But the basic untwinked duelling idea is the most important one. It is fast! You just join the game, do some levels and have fun. Maybe you can even keep some lvl 12 chars (very easy and fast to get, this is the best about it) for this reason. We should keep a thread up and play from time to time.

You got the idea?

There is no hard work levelling up.
    There is no hard work twinking it up (it takes too much time to find those perfect 14 max damage jewels, the 15 life good second mod large charms, the fast hit recovery grand charms, the other stuff which will be the same for most people (death sash, death gloves, angelic rings, angelic amulet, 20% FRW boot).

There is no nothing. Just pop in and play some if you are tired. Very funny.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

sound sliek great fun. 1 of my problems is i get bored if im waiting for the main kill untl lvl 30. once my mainskill gets going, i can generally keep playing. but thoseearly lvles, knwoign how far you have to go is bad. so a low lvl duel will mean i will focus on a lvl 6 or 12 skill and wont take ages to lvl up.
    btw, ive never done IP games as i have a 56k connection (well, actually i connect at 45kbps as im in the middle of nowhere) so how much lag will there be for a small IP gme with between 2 and 6 people? i gather that having loads of high lvl fishys runnign aroudn will result in major lag, but what abotu low lvl people with jsut a merc and mayeb a few minions?
    speakign of fishys, shoudl skeletons to allowed? by lvl 12 you can have 6 skeles or about 4 with more punch. along with a ranegd act 1 merc (any rules on them?) that will make a difficult player to beat...

7. Lotek-Crask

Mercs are not gotten, tahts one rule, Necros can only use 3 skeles and a clay golem. I run on a 42.2k modem and do just find, i'd love to have ya in a game right now bob, come to 172.158.238.114 so we can discuss this further =)

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ok then. see ya in a few mins

9. csarmi

csarmi Banned

game is up for this matter
    I am there currently with my über-amazon, but I can untwink him if needed
    come and join

if I am not there, I joined the other game :p

(3 messages above)

10. csarmi

csarmi Banned

well tomorrow some more games like this?

11. Select

Select IncGamers Member

Um yeah...disregard original post.

I think we should let all builds in....im sure theres someway to counter them even though its hard. Its up to the person if they want to be cheesy or not. But maybe it would be cool if we could have games that let you use your lvl 12 you already have again...say if you get a certain number of wins you get to add an Item(twink) or after a certain number of duels/sessions everyone gets to twink one item...i dunno...just ideas.

12. Lotek-Crask

That IS a good idea select, but really would kill it for newcomers. I cannot let maxed TS assassins in its just not fair to other people.

13. Dinnin Darkblade

Dinnin Darkblade IncGamers Member

One idea is to keep track of a handicap ratio based off of wins/losses. For every bit of loss a person has over wins (i.e. losses more than wins) he/she gets a chance to replace one piece of store bought gear with something he/she has in his stash. This handicap record is continuous so after getting so many wins the twinked person would have to untwink. This would help to balance things a bit. Those with uber builds would have to run only store bought gear while those that get beat often by these uber builds would have the chance to even the playing field a bit by twinking. We would have to factor in the win/loss ratio of the top player in the "league" as it were. However you all set up the rules I'd be happy to try this out and see how it is. Perhaps a less cut-throught PVP will be funner than what I was used to :xeek:

Also, to those in the game I was in earlier, I'm sorry for leaving abruptly. I was worried that I was about to get deconned and so I hit the save/exit after saying I was leaving, but the whole game lagged and I sat there for about 5 minutes before I actually said I was leaving and then left before I could write down carsmi's IP. Was fun tho and I hope we can do it again. I'll see about working up a PVP charactor or getting with one of the "orginizers" of this wonderful idea and lvling and shopping with them so they know its all on the up and up :xman: Hope to see ya'll soon!

14. Select

Select IncGamers Member

so the rules we have so far is:

No higher than lvl 12
    quests/way points up to cain.
    use only white and blue items you find/buy/gamble

Now the rules in question:

Assassins: to be or not to be?
    Poison javazons? will she be unleashed?
    might/zeal pallies...the holiest are banned!?

Im assuming theres no potions...what about mana pots though? small mana pools could cause problems for some builds. the rest are a positive no in my book.

Should we set up that balancing system with the win/loses= adding/subtracting gear?

15. Lotek-Crask

I think we should do it like this, no higher than level 12, until after a winner is declared. quest/way up to cain, hopefully people won't level higher than 12 that quick. Assassins are allowed, but can only have 4 in ANY claw skill(FoF/TS) and 1 in BoS. Paladins are allowed, but cannot use the zeal/might method, as it has been proven to be non-benificial to the fun of the contest. Poison Javazons are allowed to use PJ, but the skill can be no higher than level 4. As new LLD charcter ideas emerge, each class will be considered and though over. If one class becomes too good, we do the "Nerf Stick" to it. Players are awarded items that can help their charcters in leveling beyond 12, if I can somehow get the items(anyone wanna donate? lol).

At level 12, each charcter gets there personal choice of 3 chipped gems, and 10k gold, all other gear is to be white/blue only, storebought found or gambled. After the duels, there will be a 4v4 duel with teams, assigned by me or the person running the game. After that everyone has a choice to leave, or keep playing and leveling there charcter.

This is the prefect way to have some fun, level up a LLD, or start a ladder charcter, tomorrow I will be hosting a test run of this idea, I need people to sign up today, as only 6 people can play because Csarmi has to host game since my modem sucks.

16. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

If need be, I can proably host between noon and 9pm EST. A lot of people say I am very stable.

17. Select

Select IncGamers Member

I would like to be in this but It would have to be at around 3pm PST(california here, and I dont get home from school till about 3pm)

18. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

If I may, I just though of this while reading everything. This would be if all the people involved have the time to play for a little while.

We could have rounds of dueling. The 8 characters join, level up untwinked, and at level 12 they duel. Instead of a 4v4 duel, we pick 1v1 duels at random. The four winners level with eachother until 18, at which point there's another duel of two 1v1, and then the two winners level until 24 to declare the end winner.

Or is this another tournament starting?

19. Lotek-Crask

Liter, I've thought of both ways, but honestly, I'd say random 1v1s til winner declared, 4v4 til winning team, and then level up to 18, if they wanna go agian, we'll do that agian, then try for 24, and do that agian, The tourney is scheduled from 6pm-on tonight Central time(not sure what that leads to everything else) I do need someone to host the game central time, or we're gonna have to go to open battlenet with a password(which will likely be more stable) I need signups now please.

20. farting bob

farting bob Banned

how far is central time behind GMT? im in england, if its more than 5 hours behind, i wont be able to compete for long as i have to be up early the next day for school.