Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Idea - Weekly "Threads of Interest"

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Psychic Watch, May 1, 2005.

1. Psychic Watch

Psychic Watch IncGamers Member

Idea - Weekly "Threads of Interest"

The popularity of the boards here are a blessing and a curse (in some ways like Fade with an Experience Shrine). There are lots of intriguing messages, but not much time to read them all.

For people like me who are curious about the game and the exploits posted here, but also have other concerns during the week, I'd been wondering about this idea.

Would others find it useful to have a dedicated thread for a "week in review" type of list?

If you find a particularly thought-provoking/informative/funny post, either here or on another diabloii.net forum, you could stop by the "threads of the week" and share with others who may have missed it.

I know I would put that to good use...

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I think it would be a good idea.
    Of course, some of more regular folk could also summarize the week. can mention all the new people, all the new pats and then threads of interest like you said.
    EDIT: maybe it would be good to have someone as the designated thread starter and then whenever you find a thread or post you think worthy to go into the weekly summary PM the guy and they can then read the thread, put it into the list of threads and comment on it. then at the end of the week post the whole thing. this would be better than people gradually adding to it during the week, since we might have 40 threads added 1 week, and it'll take ages to wade through them.
    Also, it can be useful to sum up all the tourneys, so you dont have to read through 10 pages to posts to find out how people are doing.
    I wouldnt mind having a go at being the guy who reads and posts it all, but not every week because that would take too much time for me.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Very good idea, I like it. I don't have the time I used to have and this is definetly something that'd I'd read.

4. Psychic Watch

Alright, that's two (very respectable) opinions in favor. :thumbsup:

@farting bob: Good points in the edit, along the lines of what I had in mind. Something like 15-20 (maybe slightly more) threads per week, along with all the different summaries that you mentioned.

I agree that it should be limited in some way, but so as not to be a burden to any particular regular, and to still encourage discussion in those threads (so perhaps allowing post-as-you-go during the week). Maybe a Sticky of some sort (just thinking out loud here).

Can we get an opinion from our esteemed Moderators? :spy:

5. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I have time! I don't think I'd want to every week but I wouldn't mind having the first week of every month (if it's divided up that way no one would get sick of it) and it would help keep us up, a week at a glance isn't bad. How do you link a single post anyway? I only know how to link a page of a thread.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well 1 way is you can click the link with the post number (top right of post) and then get the post number eg:3466515
    When you post a new reply, it automatically focuses on that post. you just want to change the address of a new reply
    (such as http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?p=3466515#post3466515)
    With the number of the post you want, (in both places of the address)
    Sounds complicated, but really its just copy and paste a few numbers in.
    If the post can be understood on its own, just click the link to the post number as before, so you get the 1 post on its own, and use that link.
    I think having a weekly organiser is better than anyone post a link during the week IMO.

7. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

This is kind of like what the "hot thread" thingie is sposed to do for us... point us to the really interesting stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It would be really neat if someone who is respected here would post links to their top 5 posts of the week or something each friday.

8. Psychic Watch

Here's a compromise that came to mind: if we could get a Sticky'd thread for this, people could post there during the week, and a forum regular could still pick/summarize the best ones at the end of the week.

That way people can still check out in depth whichever threads strike them as interesting, and also have the nice weekly summary for the rest. :)

On a related topic, I just happened to run across this intriguing "forum summarizing" utility called Thottbot while looking at an old 1.09 drop calculator ( http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/d2/ ). Since the calculator was linked from diabloii.net and the author takes suggestions on which forums to scan, it might be worth checking out to use for the weekly summary here.

9. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i'd be up to do it for a week.
    so W_M fbob n i could have weekly rotations :D

10. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

this is a great idea i think, although more often then not i find myself looking for stuff i havent read :p

11. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

I'm sorry to be the one posting negatively on this one...

I don't see this happening. Sorry... For years it has been working the way it has: posts at random, with a regular daily and the stickied regulars. I'd say this works just fine...

One person to do a weekly would be a) bound to forget in time to make a weekly, b) be biased to his/her own points of interest.

I'd say, leave it the way it is now and be glad there is an SPF at all...

*hugs*

12. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

You have my vote!

You definately have my vote on that one. I'm in the same boat. Maybe if it is useful/popular enough thay can even sticky it.

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if this would work or not. (Although no harm in trying.) I can't say I'm excited about having such a thread as a sticky, though. I have some ideas to throw out.

I think having a few people taking turns will be the best way to prevent total chaos. You could have a backup system if the designated person falls asleep on the job.

Why not just have it as one thread that the designated person adds to each week? People interested in the thread could bookmark it, so there is no need to worry about keeping it on the front page. Sure, its going to get some random posts in the meantime with people giving their own input, but with proper use of the highlight tags and post titles, the "official" weekly post can be made to stand out.

Just my thoughts on the idea...

14. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Yeah, but that would require us to not be lazy. :D

15. Llathias

Llathias Banned

the forum is indeed great as it currently is, as Sidhe said, but such a weekly summary would be extremely useful for me (and probably many others). i'm spending hours each day on these forums, and still regret not being able to read all. that definitely would be an efficient thread.

16. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

There could be a lot of reivewer bias as sid said. If I were to summerize a week there won't be anything in there, as there are hardly anything that is still new info for me in d2, while a new member can probably put every thread asking what nm meph can drop in there. :p

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yes, its just another way we can pwn you, but i think only 2 or 3 threads in the SPf have been rated. EMB is 5 star, DooL is 3 star (i voted 1 star, but someone had to spoil it and bring the scroe up to 3) and i cant think of anything else that has been rated.
    Anyway, who pays attention to the ratings????

18. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well evidently you do farting bob.

I would find the summary interesting, but it would be very biased, maybe if a different person would take it over every week it could work, kind of a round robin for the people who have been here for . . . well years. Maybe have the poster send a PM to who they choose for the next weeks post?

19. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I was going to make one for this week tomorrow, I was thinking of putting all the new members in. (I find myself looking back for intro posts more often than I'd like) and a few funnies. Maybe a list of Pat/Mat threads, but not a lot of major stuff. If you want to be caught up on the DooL or EMB, you gotta bunk down and do it. Any suggestions on content?

And I was not thinking stickies. I think we ought to have a format but have different people do it (I call first week of the month!) We have a tourney stickie already, but it would be nice to be able to check only 4 or 5 threads to find an intro when we want to refence something.

20. farting bob

farting bob Banned

How about each week we assign 1 person to check for n00bs (include their intro post in the thread probably), 1 person checks updates on the tourneys (such as 'FB moves into a unbeatable lead in all tourneys this week, corax dies lots') and then evryone else working on it that week finds other threads of interst and includes them. then the people involved PM it to the reporter, who puts it together and posts.
    Oh, and i havent got anything for last week since i missed the last 2 days and realised why everyone calls me a lazy bastard.