Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Idea for Fury/Rabies build

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Euro-Crash, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash IncGamers Member

Idea for Fury/Rabies build

Hello!

Most of your probably know me from the Paladin or the Amazon forums. I have successfully built both Paladin and Amazons that others are using as a template for their own builds. Moving onward, I have decided to tackle the druid.

Since it has been a while I have decided to bounce my idea off the DRUID forum. Essentially, this is where I was headed:

Skills: 20 Werewolf, 20 Lycanthropy, 20 Rabies, 20 Oak Sage, 1 Feral Rage

Equipment:

Jalal's Mane (UM)
    25 Mara's Kaleidescope
    P. Fortitude Archon Plate
    P. Verdungo's
    Ravenfrost (with 20 dext)
    Carrion Wind
    Phoenix Monarch (switch Spirit Monarch)
    Greif Phase Blade (switch 6 BO CTA Flail)
    Gorerider
    Trang-Oul Gloves
    15/15 Annihilus
    10 Shapeshift GC's

Attribute Points:

Enough strength to equip gear...this would be a total of 101 points from a pool of 460 available at clvl 90.

Enough dexterity for at least 50% block at clvl 90 (75% to difficult to achieve with Phoenix)...this equates to 170 hard points invested at clvl 90.

Vitality ---> everything else, this equates to 189 hard points invested at clvl 90 (with +vita from items 274 total vitality).

I realize the DR is a bit low and the chance to block is also not exactly as high as it should be for PvP, but the amount of life available is high and the damage is quite nice as well.

I ran some numbers and came up with:

@ clvl 90 total life (human form): 806 (without OAK)
    @clvl 90 total life (human form): 2256 (with OAK)
    @ clvl 90 total life (after BO): 1329 (without OAK)
    @ clvl 90 total life (after BO): 3721 (with OAK)
    @ clvl 90 total life (after shift): 4717 (with BO, no OAK)
    @ clvl 90 total life (after shift: 13207 (with BO and OAK)

DR = 15%
    CTB = 50%
    Fury Damage (avg) = 7361 (7/4)
    Feral Rage (leech) = 4-**% (11fpa)
    Rabies: 12862-13388 over 19 seconds (8fpa) [without added damage from Trang's]

Would this be a viable build?

2. electricblue

electricblue IncGamers Member

hi, welcome to druid forum.

I think your dr is much low, instead of using jalal, you may switch to berber corona.

grief phase is not 7/4, how i wish bliz had done that 7/4...

Are you sure with your calculation of life? With a base life of 806, you are very unlikely to end up with 13k

and you may need fool's mode on weapon or angelics to hit palas & barbs.

lastly, that rabies damage is not really worth spending swings, unless you have a spesific strategy over it.

3. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 IncGamers Member

Lycanthropy, BO and Oak bonuses do not multiply with each other. Instead, add up all the %'s then multiply. You will realize that your life will really not be all that amazing. With only 800 base life (I'll assume this is without the life from fortitude, otherwise this will be even lower) you'll probably hit ~5k with bo and oak.

Without block/DR you will lose to just about any melee that is decent and Faith/Fortitude bowazons with KB will utterly destroy you. Pheonix is a waste, just get a stormshield. 50% block is just not good enough and the slow blockrate will be detrimental.

If you really really want to stay with fortitude, ber your jalal or stormshield. Or you could lose some resists, about 1.2k Fury dmg (assuming perfect grief) and have higher rabies dmg, lower str, higher vit, more fr/w from enigma.

Personally I would go with enigma because you will have a hard time catching runners without it and you would have a lot more life with it.
    But if you're going to be dueling melee most of the time (won't happen in pubs) and plan on using Fury more, then go with Fortitude.

Grief phase is ok. I think it hits 9/5 fury and has damage as good as/better than ebotd zerk and has deadly strike on top of that. You just lose out on 30 str/dex from ebotd that could go into vit and some range. The -20-25 poison resist is nice too since you don't have a -resist switch.

The rest of the gear is ok. I hit most barbs and paladins fine with just highlords/maras and raven/carrion. Against very high defense characters like defiant smiters or bvb barbs you will probably want to put on some angelics.

Not to be mean, but much of your build layout just seems to be overly obsessed with the new runewords whether they're effective or not.
    Mainly I question these 2 choices:
    Pheonix
    Fortitude

Pheonix has absolutely no use on this character in my opinion. The only type of character that should even think of touching this shield is a paladin or some exotic dex titan wolf using a 4 frame cfkq (even then the block rate would be horrendous).

Fortitude is alright, but not as good as enigma for this type of character imo. This one is up to you, but I would stick with enigma unless you only duel melee.

4. Euro-Crash

Got it. I was thinking out loud. I thought that adding the Phoenix shield would be a nice addition, but with the chance to block and block rate being so slow, I thought that a Stormshield would be a ton better.

The Fortitude Armor may be a bit too much...I think that there is probably a better choice. Enigma is indeed a good call...its going to save a great deal of points. I am thinking a breast plate would be a good decision.

I have checked the German IAS Calculator, and I have found that a Druid using a Phase Blade and the FURY skill will hit the following frame rates in relation to the level of WEREWOLF they are at. This is without any sources of IAS:

Slvl 1 ------> 8fpa
    Slvl 2 ------> 7fpa

This is also quite confusing...also, I am shifting into werewolf at slvl 43. From what I understand this increases a druid's attack speed by 68% at slvl 20. Could someone offer some information?

Also, at slvl 43 Werewolf, I am not sure AR is going to be too much of a problem....your thoughts?

5. electricblue

for weredruids, you should play with weapon ias in that calculator, not ias.
    and, for a quick reference to breakpoints, check my guide. hope it helps
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=570

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

Don't use the German Calculator for wereform ias. Use the one stickied at the top of the page.

--welt

7. Euro-Crash

I think you may have misunderstood me. I did not make any adjustments to the IAS fields. I left them at their default values of zero.

I did the calculation. It comes out to 7 fpa. Numbers were run based on the following:

Werewolf Level ---> 43
    Attack Type ---> FURY
    Weapon Type --> One Handed Sword
    Base Speed --> 30 (negative of -30 = 30)

I did notice that although it is a 7fpa FURY, the first attack is at 11. THis means it is an 11/7 fury, and it would be incredibly slow. I am thinking of changing out the Fortitude Plate with an Enigma Breast Plate, going with a Stormshield and switching to a Griswold's Redemption with 4*40/15. This would be plenty fast enough I think.

So...I am going to re-run some numbers here. Let me get back to you...

8. electricblue

grief phase is 9/5 fyi, why would you need the base fury speed of phase blade

9. Euro-Crash

I neglected to input the amount of IAS on the weapon. This would produce the results that you have included in your reply. I will be selecting a different weapon.

10. Linkin

Linkin Banned

the german calculators are bugged
    grief pb is 8/5, ive tested too maybe you should go on rabie boost too
    (10 facets on switch)

11. kvist1

kvist1 IncGamers Member

So.. can anyone tell is it good this grief phase blade or not. I was not playing from near a year and yesterday i read about the new runewords. I'm extremly poor now :clap: and work hard to get fortitude ( yes it'` better than lionheart ), already got one good non eth reaver :uhhuh: but thats my pure ww wolf. i would like to make for fun pvp fury/rabies but lst try with shaeled griz weapon wasnt that great. so can anyone share him expirience with grief.

Sorry for the bad english :p

12. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

you'll have mor elike 6-7k life because bo and oak any lycan bonuses add up not multiply together. I suggest enigma so you can get base str. + lif/clvl isnt multiplied by those either, all you get is more str and ed. considereign phoenix and grief, i dont think you need the ed