Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Build] Idea for dual-dream melee necro

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by banjopossum, Jun 3, 2016.

1. banjopossum

banjopossum IncGamers Member

Hello Everyone,

Just returned to the game for the first time in a few years - ready to take another crack at my dual-dream necro build. The purpose of this build is to be a melee necro (which in itself is cool) that can hang in hell and beat stuff up. I want to avoid summoning as much as possible but utilize clay golem, and i don't want to rely *too heavily on CE.

I've tried similar things in the past without much success and wanted some thoughts/opinions on this builds potential effectiveness in hell PvM and where you think I would find pitfalls or what could be better. Here's what I got so far:

gloves - steel rend (60 ED, 10 CB) / laying of hands (+350 demon damger, 20 ias)
    weapon - famine (thresher? lots of elem damage, ignore defense)
    helm - dream bone visage
    shield - dream troll nest
    Amulet - warlords
    Ring 1 - raven frost
    ring 2 - BK
    Boots - goreriders
    armor - treachery/enigma
    belt - tgods

Skills:
    1 BA
    20 BW
    20 BP (max BA synergies)
    1 clay golem
    1 summon resist
    1 golem mastery
    1 into each golem (synergies, extra skill points)
    1 into pre-req curses for LR
    rest into decrepify/LR/DV (DV for CC)

lots of extra skill points to play around with.

Merc blessed aim merc with infinity

That's what I've come up with so far. Let me know what y'all think!

2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I've played around with it. Given the right gear, it's certainly possible to have a melee necro that is viable in Hell. It's a lot more tedious than, say, a paladin. But it's totally doable. Poison hits pretty hard, although in most places, it's a lot easier to just spam Poison Nova than it is to stab everything to death.

Done that. Like I said, it's kinda tedious. Not that it's not worth doing, but you should understand what you're getting into.

Wait, what? You can't wield a thresher and a shield at the same time.

As much as I'm a big fan of Enigma, the Venom from Treachery is invaluable to a melee necro. Well, one that uses poison, anyway.

Not sure about the rest of the gear. Some of it's what I'd probably use and some of it apparently isn't. I take Gore Rider on almost everything, but I totally don't remember a "warlords" amulet.

I've found Bone Armor to be underwhelming. The maxes synergies could keep you from getting swarmed by casting them, I guess, but that doesn't sound like a fun way to play, especially with all that nice gear.

I once wanted to try a series of Famine-wielding characters, and using dual Dreams is a logical starting point if Famine is the weapon, especially for paladins and sorceresses. I don't think it would be the ideal choice for the necromancer, though...

3. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Haven't looked at a strategy post in forever, but this caught my eye.

Dual dream necro isn't exactly ideal, nothing really synergizes with it except for lower resist, and if you really wanted that, you could get it from a wand. I really think a melee necro focused around Botd is cooler with its chance to cast poison nova on kill, but that's just me.

Anyway, if you want the build to work, ideally you would use a fast weapon/runeword so whatever gets you to the last attack breakpoint. Just because a weapon has lots of elemental damage doesn't make it ideal.

Also, I'm going to disagree with Namtar on two points,
    - Venom from treachery is really only super valuable if you are using poison dagger, otherwise its just a nice add on.
    - Bone armor, while not super amazing, is still pretty nice with its CTC bone armor if you are in the middle of a pack and don't have the chance to recast it when its fully synergized.

Personally I think the coolest build would be for full melee only (no reliance on skeles/corpse explosion) if you had all the wealth in the world, would be botd beserker axe, with dual dream helm/shield, bone armor, and beast on switch. Fully synergize poison nova, fully synergize bone armor. Lower resist to decent level.

Strategy: Find pack, cast bone armor, cast lower resist, shift, charge in and attack, after a few poison novas most of the pack should fall on lower player levels. CTC from "bone" runeword armor will provide a nice buffer as well as bonus life from bear form.

4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

But I agree with that. It's pretty similar to what I said. Odd that you disagree with me on this if we both think the same thing.

I was referring to the skill, Bone Armor in general. Not to the Bone runeword. I mean, I do use the skill, but it is pretty easily outshone by the defensive skills of other classes and, even moreso, by gear.

Well, I haven't tried it, and I've learned never to underestimate BotD. Seems like extra work to make Poison Novas when you can just go with a poison necro and cast the skill directly. I know, that's at least partially a caster build and not full melee. Hm, not sure what I'd go with...

5. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your first post. When you said poison I thought you were referring to poison damage in general, not poison dagger the skill. And when you said bone, I thought you were referring to the runeword. My mistake.