Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Idea For A Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Yng, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

Wanted to gauge people’s interest on a different style of tournament. Rather than maximizing set/unique or rune drop potential what if we did a tournament based on experience? Just an example, interested in suggestions on everything, but a race to 95 (I’m thinking anything higher is too long/too much runs) in which the goal is to complete it with the least amount of time played. Sorceress would probably need to be banned (or at least Teleport that isn’t obtained from an item) for balance. There’s tons of programs to track time played so it wouldn’t be hard to manage. Untwinked makes it more interesting. HC could be even more interesting. ;)

NanoMist and T72on1 like this.
  2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Assuming anyone can beat @NanoMist you mean? :rolleyes:

Sorceresses are my favourite character, not sure I could play without Teleport!

Yng likes this.
  3. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting. With the untwinked 99er challenge already around, I'm not sure I'd be interested to do it untwinked though. But maybe that's because I already have 2 characters in that challenge. Otherwise this kind of tournament would be a good base to get a character going there. Twinked I'd definitely be interested. Should be nice to get some theorycrafting going on how to do this most efficiently. Although the same probably applies in an untwinked setting: SPF just is about theorycrafting a lot ;).

As to the teleport issue: I agree you can't compare teleporting and non-teleporting characters. But instead of excluding teleport, you probably could have two categories instead, one with it and one without.

@ioupainmax Nano who? :rolleyes:

ioupainmax, ffs and Zyr like this.
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

In untwinked play, an extra category for teleporters would just be like splitting off sorcs from the rest. It's probably better to disallow teleport, except from items. I think there are more interesting categorizations (or limitations):

- respecs allowed or not allowed
    - save up stat/skill points or rewards for later or spend them on the spot
    - cannot use anything in areas visited before or it's allowed to use it

5. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

+1 to what @T72on1 said. For untwinked I think there'd be a huge overlap with the 99er thing. The runners there tend to go for the most efficient XP runs with their specific characters anyway, and differences in XP gain are mostly due to gear restrictions and some builds being more efficient at it than others (which is fine and leads to great diversity there). So my concern would be if going for untwinked, this would essentially be the same as the 99er challenge but merely capped at 95 + skipping the LK grind + likely lower build diversity.

I might be up for trying with twinked characters (with Teleport) because it could be interesting to see how different builds compare for sub-95 leveling, wouldn't necessarily consider Sorc to be unbeatable for this.

6. T72on1

I think it will be very hard to beat a well played Blizz Sorc. But obviously if Nanomist is the one not playing the Sorc and the rest of us are, we might be in for a tight race ;).

Fruit and ioupainmax like this.
  7. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

@T72on1 I'd be interested precisely in seeing whether that's true. :) Sorc is overall fastest 99 because of her CS and Nihl supremacy, but sub-95 I could see other builds/targets being very competitive. Only with Enigma of course.

8. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Or just divvy up all the classes and keep 7 separate tables

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

Sorc is just undeniably faster in every aspect for a long term race. I also don’t think it would conflict with the 99er thread, if anything it will contribute to it because every completed tournament character is a potential entry if the rule is untwinked. You could even post updates in there and keep your total played time to yourself until the tournament ends. We don’t have to do any specific type every time either, we could change the specifics for each tournament.

10. NanoMist

NanoMist Diabloii.Net Member

@ioupainmax - I still follow the 99er thread, and I'd bet on some of the active runners there, especially the multi-entry runners. They have that leveling process streamlined..

Interesting tourney idea. I like untwinked also to attract newer community members, since everyone will start with equal footing. I do understand the concern with the untwinked 99ers, so I'd be fine with twinked as well. It'll be fun either way to see what can compete as a top build, even if we end up splitting off the Sorceress into her own category. Level 95 is not too far where an LK grind is needed, as ffs mentioned, so that's a big plus.

Challenged accepted. :p

Pb_pal, Fruit, ioupainmax and 2 others like this.
  11. T72on1

Nanomist has a good point about untwinked likely attracting more newer members. Having said that, I think I'd still only participate twinked, at least at this time.

Then again there's a number of ways you can set this up. It doesn't even have to be a tournament. It can also be a long term challenge, where you have either twinked or untwinked. Or you could even have a category for each class, and then either twinked or untwinked. People can have a go at it whenever they like, and add their time to the table.

ffs likes this.
  12. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

The untwinked 99ers is doing a fantastic job of attracting new members, and keeping them involved here also, @Yng and myself included. ;) Actually I'm pretty sure it attracts new members much more than a competitive race to 95 would. I think its appeal also comes down to the 99er thread being so active -- something that might not be the case if a lot of untwinked sub-95 running is done in a different thread. I just don't see any reason to split the untwinked runners here into two tournaments, instead of having all the drops, progress, theorycrafting and discussion in one place. I think that would be kind of unfortunate, and from what I can see it also wouldn't accomplish much that for example a "Time spent until 95" section in the 99er tables wouldn't accomplish.

@Yng Don't get me wrong, in fact I really like the tournament idea a lot the more I think about it, for twinked that is. Because that's an entirely distinct and interesting aspect that hasn't been explored much at all on these forums. It would be interesting to see how classes compare when really optimizing them for XP gain, and I'm willing to bet there'd be a few surprises. ;)

Zyr and Yng like this.
  13. ioupainmax

A bit difficult to add it retroactively to a full set of tables.

From a purely practical standpoint, the table is already very wide and squashed in, I don't relish the idea of trying to work that in...

14. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

@ioupainmax Clearly my point was not about table formatting.. :)

Anyway, not meaning to discourage anything, any type of activity is good after all! Just wanted to explain my 2 cents.

ioupainmax likes this.
  15. NanoMist

NanoMist Diabloii.Net Member

Just to clarify, I meant attracting more members/participants to this particular tournament idea, not the overall forum. But that thought itself is just a hunch, they may not join regardless. I do see twinked being the more attractive option for others, and it's also less time consuming to finish.

Since this tournament looks to be more competitive with the mandatory time aspect, I'd rather not see too many categories fragmenting the limited number of participants. One table for twinked chars, or two tables for untwinked chars (assuming Sorc is separated and not banned from untwinked).

Yng likes this.
  16. ioupainmax

Personally I think @NanoMist should be in his own table! :D

17. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

I don’t think it’s necessary to add a column in the other thread to track time played to 95 when they already have a time played column and 95 is practically irrelevant to the function of that thread (99 is the goal). I also don’t think this idea would conflict with that anymore than any other tournament would, and I don’t really look at the untwinked 99er thread as a tournament/race but more so a long term project. This idea is more so a race but without the need to have massive amounts of time to play from the time it starts to the time it ends by being based on time played, so everyone gets a fair shot at a competitive result. That’s also why I dont care to make this twinked so much as untwinked— people who don’t have a giant stock of items that are only really relevant to specific levels are at a disadvantage. Perhaps the level goal should be a bit lower (90-93) to reduce the total amount of time needed to complete the race/make it more approachable to more people. Idk, we have time to consider options as this wouldn’t be started any time immediately soon with the other tournament live and the next one planned soon after.

18. ioupainmax

As a separate endeavour (where the user can choose to detail their character in both threads) I'm fine with it. I think lowering the level requirement is a very good idea @Yng.

Here are the parameters I would go with:
    1. Untwinked
    2. Race to level 90
    3. Restrictions on Teleport
    4. Presumably playing Patch Versions 1.13c - 1.14d
    5. Percentage completion?

Here are the reasons:
    1. Untwinked: a level playing field and a low barrier to entry, open to all forumites irrespective of wealth
    2. Above level 90 the experience penalty is quite harsh. Maybe people could track their time to 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 & 95 in the first round just to see what that looks like.
    3. Restrictions on Teleport: Need to figure out how this works in practice, do we allow only charges, or do we stipulate that no hard points may be used but an Orb/Staff granting the skill is OK?
    4. Double check that no significant changes happened after 1.13c, think they were mostly Mac bug fixes but there is one thing about multiple merc auras that was fixed in 1.13d
    5. Percentage completion: Not really discussed yet, but this could add an interesting facet to the challenge. Single elements can't do certain areas, if we had mandatory quests, it might even out the variance somewhat.

Yng likes this.
  19. Yng

Yng Diabloii.Net Member

I think we’re all overlooking the most important facet of this— what to name it. XPFO has a ring to it. ;)

ffs likes this.
  20. ioupainmax

How about XP RunnYng in honour of the creator?