Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Idea for a new game feature

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mwille, Sep 12, 2014.

1. mwille

mwille Diabloii.Net Member

After reading the article on the Patch 2.1 Leg/Set drop rates, an idea came to me for a new game feature that would let us indirectly improve our chances of finding those ultra rare items.

Summary

Add an option at the Mystic to create/upgrade Charms from Leg/Set items. Charms would be carried in your inventory to reduce the odds of finding its associated item. By reducing the drop odds of items we keep finding but don't want, it will indirectly increase the drop odds of the ones we DO want. This would help to “even out” bad luck with RNG over a long period of time.

Details – How it would work.
    • Go to the Mystic to have her destroy a Leg/Set item, creating a Rank 1 charm for that item.

• Again using the Mystic, upgrade your charm by destroying any Leg/Set that matches it.

• Higher ranks of charms would progressively decrease the drop odds of that specific Leg/Set item (detailed below).

• Allow only level 70 items to be used to create/upgrade charms.

• Only charms carried in your current character's inventory would affect drop rates.

• Charms would appear in your inventory using the same graphic as the original item, but have a purple background to distinguish it as a charm.
    • You could carry only one of the same charm.

• Charms would not affect odds for gambled items.

How to decrease drop odds.

The way I understand it works now is that each Leg/Set item has a “weight” (ranging from 1 to 100) that's used in calculating its drop odds once it's been determined that a Leg/Set of the appropriate type will drop. So, what I propose is that those weights are modified by charms simply by subtracting the charm's rank (or possibly a multiple of it) from the item's base weight. Each charm would need to be assigned an appropriate maximum rank based on its rarity and that of others of the same item type.

Notes
    • This would add a choice of what to do with unwanted Leg/Set items, upgrade charms or salvage for forgotten souls (making them slightly more valuable).

• Inventory space will limit the number of charms we can have “active” at one time, keeping them from becoming overpowered.

• Charms wouldn't work with gambling directly, but it could still be a good source for upgrading charms for a given type.

• A similar system could be used to create charms for gems as well, to increase odds for finding a specific type.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. clueso

clueso Diabloii.Net Member

I personally would prefer if you could buy a desired legenday or set from a special vendor for x Forgotten Souls, where x is dependent on the rarity of the item, but this idea is also interesting.