Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ICS and B.net *help*

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by steveokle, Apr 6, 2005.

1. steveokle

steveokle IncGamers Member

ICS and B.net *help*

OK, I'm from the SPF and I want to try out bnet, I've never even tryed it since I bought D2, so I thought I might give it a go

Now the internet is not running directly through my computer, so I'm using ICS

I've tried forwarding the int/ext ports and all that, but it's still not working

It gets stuck on "Looking for fastest server"

2. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

Sounds like a port problem - look out for the user 'Orphan' with the find user option at the top and send him a PM he is pretty much the guru on that sort of tech stuff!

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Just for the record, your able to access websites on that computer, right (I know there's probably a good chance that you posted this thread from the same computer, but since you mentioned your connecting through the network, just wanted to make sure you aren't posting through another comp).

Also, what router do you have? And, do you have Internet Service Pack 2 installed (for WinXP)? I'm willing to lean towards Gaza's thoughts about the ports.

Finally, does this same problem happen with all realms?

Edit: You mention your from the single player forum. Have you installed/uninstalled any mods? Some mods might have altered the game server list.

4. steveokle

steveokle IncGamers Member

Yep the internet works fine, I posted from that computer (Im at work now)

I'm using dial up :(

Latest service pack for XP, I'm not sure how to set up the ports correctly, I'm getting mixed up with IP's ext/int ports etc etc..

Yep happens with all the realms - although, when i am not connected to the internet it gets stuck at querying gateway - when i am it gets stuck at "Looking for fastest server" - I have tryed all the realms

No mods

5. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

First, I would suggest you read Blizzard's support on Service Pack 2 for XP, if you haven't already, at http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0816p.

As a note, you will probably need to configure any ports on the computer that is sharing the Internet connection, in order to allow computers that connect to gain the benefits. From your post, I got the impression that the Service Pack 2 is installed on the computer your trying to play D2 on. Is there any firewall installed on the Internet computer?

We should also try and see if you can connect to bnet through Telnet, instead of D2. To do this, click Start --> Run, and type 'telnet uswest.battle.net 6112'. When you see a cursor in the top left corner, press 'c' on the keyboard to connect to bnet. All things going well, you should be prompted for a username and password. You might want to repeat this on the Internet computer too, just to see if the problem is restricted to your D2 comp or not.

Best of luck :)

6. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

Service Pack 2 has a firewall which I think caused me some problems a while back. From memory I disabled the firewall and opened up the required sockets.

Everything seemed to work ok after that.

also a lot of virus scanners and the like close of certain ports to protect your computer, I have heard that McAfee is bad for this and they actually close the ports u need to play on Bnet so perhaps try to add the ports Bnet needs to Mcafees safe list, or which ever virus checker u use.

U may also just have heaps of rubbish in your registry from surfing the net which might be doing something nasty as well.

Try using some sort of spyware removal program like Adaware by lavasoft.

Otherwise Im drawing up a blank :(