IceQueen Progress Thread

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
IceQueen Progress Thread

As per Sir Lister of Smeg's request I've taken some notes on my latest character. Like, how long it takes to do stuff and what gear she used.

Total Time Elapsed: 4:35
Acts played: 10

A few weeks ago when I killed my first blizzard sorc:
Birth of IceQueen, level 1 Sorc.

Sunday, July 3rd, 1930-2000:

Level: 14
Quests: Den of Evil, Blood Raven
Skill points spent: Static Field (1)
Items found: Pelta Lunata

Gear:
We: Knell Striker / Hsaru's Fist
He: + 20 poions / 2 sec, + 17 max damage Helm
Ar: +8 Min damage Studded Leather
Be: Death's Guard
Bo: Hsaru's
Gl: Death's Hand
R1:Rare 10% FCR
R1 Rare 10% FCR
Am: None

Sunday, July 3rd, 2015-2030:

Level: 18
Quests: Andariel
Skill points spent: TK (1) Teleport (1)

Gear:
We: Ravenclaw
He: 3 PSaph Mask (+112 Mana)
Ar: 3 PSaph Ring Mail (+112 Mana)
Bo: Treads of Cthon
R1 Rare 10% FCR
Am: Eye of Etlich

Sunday, July 3rd, 2045-2130:

Level: 24
Quests: Radament, Hordaric Stuff, Summoner, Duriel
Skill points spent: none

Gear:
R1 Rare 10% FCR

Sunday, July 3rd, 2200-2230:

Level: 27
Quests: All Act 3 Quests
Skill points spent: From here on she spent points in blizzard, the synergies and cold mastery (from level 30 onwards)

Gear:
We2: Insight War Staff
R1 Rare 10% FCR

Monday, July 4th, 1600-1615:

Level: 30
Quests: All Act 4 Quests

Gear:
We: Spire of Lazarus
He: Peasant Crown
Ar: Vipermagi
Be: Nightsmoke
Bo: Nat's Soul
Gl: Frostburn
R1:SoJ
R1 SoJ

Monday, July 4th, 1640-1700:

Level: 42
Quests: Lazurk, 15 Barbs, Mallah, Ancients, Baal

Gear:
We: The Occulus / Visceratuant
Ar: Vipermagi
Be: Snowclash
R1 SoJ

Monday, July 4th, 1945-2045:

Level: 54
Quests: Den of Evil, Charsi, Andariel, Radament, Duriel

Gear:
We: The Occulus / Elite Visceratuant
Ar: Shaftstop (Um)
R1 SoJ

Monday, July 4th, 2100-2200:

Level: 69
Quests: Act 3, Act 4, Lazurk, Mallah, Ancients, Baal.

Gear:
We: The Occulus / Elite Visceratuant
We2: Gull / Moser's
He: Harleyquin Crest (PTopaz)
Ar: Shaftstop (Um)
Bo: Waterwalk
R1 SoJ
Am: Mara's

Current Merc: Might, dealing 1700-6000 damage
Weapon: Insight Eth Cryptic Axe
Fortitude Boneweave
14% Res All, 8% Dual Leech, 19% PDR Vamp Gaze

Well that was her way to hell. Not as fast as it could have been but okay. From now on I'll take it more slowly just because I don't want to really rush through hell. Maybe she'll take a small levelling break in act 2's alvl 85 area, just because she can.

As for blizzard... Dunno, I think I'm with what dashy wrote recently... I don't really see what the hype is about. Doesn't kill that much faster than my meteorb and is totally worthless vs cold immunes. Granted, 2k-6k merc damage takes care of those in short order as well...

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
GG on the character. :thumbsup:

The, by HC people often called, "suicide stick" doesn't bother you?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Kefir-Tribe said:
The, by HC people often called, "suicide stick" doesn't bother you?
Nope. But for the occulus she'd already be dead at least once. Teleported into a boss pack of extra strong snakes in the claw viper temple and got stun locked by their charge. In two hits she was almost dead, however the second hit triggered the teleport which saved her pretty behind.

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane speed :thumbsup: 20 minutes for all of act 5, including Baal? In that time I just get to Shenk if I'm lucky and ignore most things on my way.

Sir Lanksalot

Diabloii.Net Member
WOW! that is impressive! :thumbsup:
I don't suppose you can enlarge on this at all... it takes me a helluva lot longer than it takes you to reach hell but you seem to be around(ish) the same level as I would be. I usually play on /players 8 through norm and nm so i was wondering if you had any specific tricks to keeping your leveling regular but doing it at speed.
Thanks

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Why didn't you post in my fastest way through game thread?
I needed something like this. Then I wouldn't do some stupid mistakes. Like not equipping a good low level weapon or using my own foots from level 18.
Grrr.
Still I have to admit that you are very fast (and I am teh nooblar).

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Sir Lanksalot said:
WOW! that is impressive! :thumbsup:
I don't suppose you can enlarge on this at all... it takes me a helluva lot longer than it takes you to reach hell but you seem to be around(ish) the same level as I would be. I usually play on /players 8 through norm and nm so i was wondering if you had any specific tricks to keeping your leveling regular but doing it at speed.
Thanks
What exactly do you mean by enlarge on this? Do you mean I can't go faster? Or that I can't explain more? As for the player settings: With very few exceptions I stayed on p8 all the time. I think I might have done one of the act bosses and the ancients on 1 but that's about it. I don't really have any special tricks for my levelling either, I just fight my way through the game on P8, that's basically it. I can only guess at why it takes you a lot longer than me while you're pretty much at the same level... I'd suspect that it is because I don't gain XP at a constant rate. Like, when you clear the den of evil once you go from 1 to 5 but if you clear it again you don't go from 5 to 10, you might not even get much past 6. So if you keep killing monsters that don't really give you a lot of XP while I'm already a few areas ahead killing stuff that gives me a lot more... I think that's why I level faster.

The main "trick" I have is to not just teleport through the game once I get my final merc. I think I could have leveled my sorc slightly faster if I had just skipped most of the game and entered the WS K at level 50 or so. But then my might merc wouldn't have levelled alongside me as he did. (He was 68 when I got into hell at 69) Reason being that mercs don't level good when you level extremely fast as you do on baal runs. They level much better in areas.

Hrus said:
Why didn't you post in my fastest way through game thread?
I needed something like this. Then I wouldn't do some stupid mistakes. Like not equipping a good low level weapon or using my own foots from level 18.
Grrr.
Still I have to admit that you are very fast (and I am teh nooblar).
Why didn't I post it there? Because I don't think I saw the thread... :teeth: Also I don't consider this the fastest way through the game. I did some of the optional quests and and wasn't really trying very hard to be as fast as I could be. Still killed plenty of monsters I could have just passed by. I'm pretty sure I can do faster than this and I'm even more sure that other people can do faster. I remember DarkChaos once played a blizzard sorc incredibly fast from zero to guardian but I don't remember exactly how long it took him.

I'm glad some of you guys enjoyed this fishy feature, maybe I'll include stuff like that more often. If so, is this too much info? Or too little?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
I'm glad some of you guys enjoyed this fishy feature, maybe I'll include stuff like that more often. If so, is this too much info? Or too little?
Yes, this was an intersting read, with just about enough detail to be able to follow. :clap:

(although I would prefer that you would note which areas you skipped rather than what quests you did).

Level 69 is pretty good for just powering through Normal and NM. My full clearing leads to level 75 at the start of Hell (lvl 67 if I have played on /p1 the whole way).

How come you didn´t put a point in Frost Nova right at level 6, since you were going to get that skill anyway?

Ancient Tunnels will indeed be a good area for your sorceress. You have fire immune mummies and Invaders, magic immune Plague Bearers and lightning immune Horror Mages.

I can now better understand why you prefer your playstyle over mine (that mine would make you feel like you´re not getting anywhere): your playing session are much shorter than mine. While you play an hour, I will play at least four or five hours. Heck, I don´t even fire up the game if I have less than 2 hours to spend...

Your most impressive session is the last. Three Nightmare acts in an hour! I would barely be out of Spider Forest after an hour! Getting to Hell takes me at least 60 hours. My latest Guardian (the 'Rare Pleasures' Lord of Mages) took almost two months to finish, and he has been my fastest killer (thanks to CE).

I wonder if you will finish your septuple septavirate before I have my SPF tourney septavirate.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
What if...
Jiansonz sees Nightfish playing D2 -> Jiansonz goes mad
Nightfish sees Jiansonz playing D2 -> Nightfish falls asleep
:)

killmesh

Diabloii.Net Member
NF do you have a huge hard disk?
if you do can you record yourself playing as fast as possible?
if not what would it taketo get you to record it anyway??

Zavior

Diabloii.Net Member
killmesh said:
NF do you have a huge hard disk?
if you do can you record yourself playing as fast as possible?
if not what would it taketo get you to record it anyway??
Well, if NF doesn't have few TERAS of free space on his drives, its not going to happen i guess :p

One of the programs is fraps. Very easy to use, and the quality is fine. The videofile you get from it will be over few giga's though.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
Yes, this was an intersting read, with just about enough detail to be able to follow.
Glad you liked it ;)

jiansonz said:
(although I would prefer that you would note which areas you skipped rather than what quests you did).
Never occured to me to keep track of that. Basically I don't really "skip" anything. I just go straight from A to B. So in act 1 I go blood moor, den of evil, cold plains, burial grounds, stony field, underground passage, dark wood, tamoe highland, monstary. I don't really explore areas you don't have to enter anymore. I did that often enough by now and there's just no good reason to go there anymore. Incidentally, that's something I'd change if I was making a patch 1.11. Make each area worth entering for some reason.

jiansonz said:
Level 69 is pretty good for just powering through Normal and NM. My full clearing leads to level 75 at the start of Hell (lvl 67 if I have played on /p1 the whole way).
Yeah, the difference between full clears and just doing what you have to isn't that big. One of the other reasons why I don't do stuff I don't have to anymore.

jiansonz said:
How come you didn´t put a point in Frost Nova right at level 6, since you were going to get that skill anyway?
Didn't feel like it. :teeth: I wasn't going to use any skills so why bother spending points?

jiansonz said:
Ancient Tunnels will indeed be a good area for your sorceress. You have fire immune mummies and Invaders, magic immune Plague Bearers and lightning immune Horror Mages.
And that's where I'll be levelling her to 90 sooner or later.

jiansonz said:
I can now better understand why you prefer your playstyle over mine (that mine would make you feel like you´re not getting anywhere your playing session are much shorter than mine. While you play an hour, I will play at least four or five hours. Heck, I don´t even fire up the game if I have less than 2 hours to spend...
Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to you now. Well, I don't really have the time I used to have. Plus I'm spending more time on non-computer things. Like, one hour of sports on 2 out of 3 days takes up quite a bit of my former D2 time already. So for me it's just a few random bits of spare time I can scrounge together every now and then. Like half an hour before dinner, 15 minutes while my pasta is cooking, etc. I don't really have 5 consecutive hours of gaming time these days. If I played untwinked and full clears I'd need 10 years to get my sept done.

It's not like all my sessions where that short. Usually I do all of hell in just one sitting, for example. But yeah, a lot of it is pretty shortish.

jiansonz said:
Your most impressive session is the last. Three Nightmare acts in an hour! I would barely be out of Spider Forest after an hour!
Yeah, that was pretty swift. :) Blizzard sorc really picks up momentum around mid nightmare.

jiansonz said:
I wonder if you will finish your septuple septavirate before I have my SPF tourney septavirate.
Dunno. I figure I'll finish around the time I finish my master thesis. Which is january.

Regarding the recording... In theory it's possible. But 1) I don't have a full version of fraps and 2) I can't get files this big hosted. Even after reducing the size with divx it's much too big. And 3) I don't think a lot of people would want to watch a 6 hour D2 recording...

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
What if...
Jiansonz sees Nightfish playing D2 -> Jiansonz goes mad
Nightfish sees Jiansonz playing D2 -> Nightfish falls asleep
:)
corax, are you watching this? Quote of the week material right here. :lol:

I'm not just now figuring this out. I laughed for like five minutes when I saw the "septule septavirate" thread. Then I realized he was serious.

Sir Lanksalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
What exactly do you mean by enlarge on this? Do you mean I can't go faster? Or that I can't explain more?
Sorry, my question obviously wasn't as clear as i thought it was, my bad. I was just impressed that you reached hell at level 69 in a few hours whereas i would usually enter hell at 71(ish) after taking a lot longer and killing as much as I could. You pretty much answered everything I was wondering in your reply to jiansonz post. (Maybe I should take question asking lessons. :D)
Thanks

SirMurdalot

Diabloii.Net Member
Cold Mastery max?

Hi!
I checked that progress log and compared it to some other i found, but it seems that people max synergies for blizzard, but not cold mastery.
Im making blizz-sorc myself and thought about maxing cold mastery and the rest of the synergies as much as i have points, but what is the "real" maximum one should put to blizzard? I heard that it might not be smart to lift it up more than 20 points with +skillers included, is this true?

My idea is to make blizz sorc for tcp/ip, not for single player and i want to break most of the cold immunnities of monsters, to do even a slight damage. Barbarian will actually give the main damage on this case, but i want the monsie to slow down or even take some of the penalty.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Cold Mastery doesn't break immunities. -100% is definetly useful. Since Meph starts out at 75% Resistance I'm upping mine to -175% eventually.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Cold Mastery doesn't break immunities. -100% is definetly useful. Since Meph starts out at 75% Resistance I'm upping mine to -175% eventually.
I did the same, but mine is -170% right now, because I am waiting for one more cold skiller to find.

@SirMurdalot: For MP, definitly go maxed Blizzard, CM, synergies, you don't have to worry about CI, your party members will take care of them. Go for maximum possible damage.
The point is that monster's resistance cannot be lowered below -100. Lot of monsters have 0 cold resistance, so you are "wasting" skill points if you have more effective CM, but as NF said - Mephisto is Mephisto.